Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DBBTB said:

We will struggle to move Barker on without a massive pay out. We probably gave him the best contract of his life and he will be in no rush to give that up without an incentive. Shambles of a signing from the off.

The signings we made in the summer for that position was a shambles, the money spent on that dross should’ve been used to sign one quality player, instead we went for a scattergun approach  

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

We will struggle to move Barker on without a massive pay out. We probably gave him the best contract of his life and he will be in no rush to give that up without an incentive. Shambles of a signing from the off.

8 big ones a week supposedly. Horrendous payout to someone who shown very little before signing. Don't know if Allen actually done one good deal for us in his time.

32 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

8 big ones a week supposedly. Horrendous payout to someone who shown very little before signing. Don't know if Allen actually done one good deal for us in his time.

That’s fucking disgraceful if true. A winger who offers nothing going forward, I’ve seen boys at non-league level offer more. 

27 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

So nobody competing with Goldson for a spot?

I don't care how many wingers we signed last summer, we desperately need more!

Katic is technically a right sided centre back who has been put on the left because we only had right sided centre backs. You could easily make it Goldson/Katic and then Helander/Edmundson

Just now, Broxi said:

Katic is technically a right sided centre back who has been put on the left because we only had right sided centre backs. You could easily make it Goldson/Katic and then Helander/Edmundson

True enough, I was just basing it on that chart that suggests Goldson has no competition.

The thing is with all they wingers is that they never once played in a system that allowed them to be wingers 

They most likely arent good enough, but even if we signed the best right winger in the world, gerrard would likely tell him to cut inside and make space for tav to go try do a fucking wingers job 😡😡

6 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The thing is with all they wingers is that they never once played in a system that allowed them to be wingers 

They most likely arent good enough, but even if we signed the best right winger in the world, gerrard would likely tell him to cut inside and make space for tav to go try do a fucking wingers job 😡😡

Still going with this pish i see.

Look at most, if not all, of the most successful teams in Europe - they all play with overlapping fullbacks and an interchangeable front 3, in some form. 

Just because we had success in the 90s playing 4-4-2 with a rigid backline and wingers, doesn't mean it's going to work now and it's actually far more defensive than playing a 4-3-3 against an SPL team who're playing with 10 men in defence. 

Absolutely pointless having 4 defenders and a defensive midfielder man marking Lyndon Dykes.

10 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Look at most, if not all, of the most successful teams in Europe - they all play with overlapping fullbacks and an interchangeable front 3, in some form. 

Just because we had success in the 90s playing 4-4-2 with a rigid backline and wingers, doesn't mean it's going to work now and it's actually far more defensive than playing a 4-3-3 against an SPL team who're playing with 10 men in defence. 

Absolutely pointless having 4 defenders and a defensive midfielder man marking Lyndon Dykes.

Lennon went 352 or 4312 and fucking romped the league from Jan onwards. Realised 1 striker wasn’t getting the job done and adapted. 

Gerrard put 2 strikers up when we were 1-0 down away to St Johnston, we went 2-1 ahead and then he reverted back to type subbing Morelos off and then they equalised. 

4 hours ago, esquire8 said:

Looking at that squad we still have plenty of trimming to do, especially that LW. RW is a disaster. 

At least Jordan knows the script with Goldson....

My opinion, going by that is we need around 5-6 players in priority listed below:

1. AMR: We really struggle here, quality player that can link up with Tav well and possibly cover him when he's going forward as well as a back up option (possibly keep Stewart as back up but only due to the fact he seems to be able to play in any of the 4 attacking positions).

2. CM: Again, I think we need to sign a quality CM to play alongside Jack, not seen much of McCrorie since he has been on loan but hopefully he can also push for a place in the squad.

3. LW: Reasonable quality / cover, hopefully we can get Kent firing next season but if not we need someone that can play here and can let Kent know that he isn't undroppable.

4. ST: Decent enough striker that will push Morelos if he isn't sold / take his place if he's off form, we have Defoe in this position but I don't see him playing anything more than an impact sub next season at best.

5. GK: Believe we are already looking at this are but cover for McGregor would be good and hopefully get McCrorie out on loan again this season and be ready to take over next year if good enough, he seems like a decent enough keeper to do this.

6. RB: Back up for Tav, I liked the look of young Patterson but not sure he's ready for the first team yet if Tav was injured / off form

Something like this would be at least a start for our senior squad next season IMO:

image.thumb.png.445ae0389455fb897f06f8a1fc8396ce.png

Anyone not in the above I would sell / release or loan out depending on age and ability.

14 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Lennon went 352 or 4312 and fucking romped the league from Jan onwards. Realised 1 striker wasn’t getting the job done and adapted. 

Gerrard put 2 strikers up when we were 1-0 down away to St Johnston, we went 2-1 ahead and then he reverted back to type subbing Morelos off and then they equalised. 

It's a myth that Gerrard never changes the 4-3-3 tbh - he's made poor decisions on when to change the system effectively and when to bring on subs etc, but he did change it plenty of times, and some times he fucked it.

The 4-3-3 is a 4-5-1 in defence, and in attack, it let's an attacking midfielder support the striker with 2 "wingers" cutting in and the width comes from our fullbacks.

Nothing wrong with the system imo - the bigger problems were injuries to key players and loss of form to others - add in Gerrards mistakes and we were fucked tbh.

1 minute ago, BlueMe said:

It's a myth that Gerrard never changes the from 4-3-3 tbh - he's made poor decisions on when to change the system effectively and when to bring on subs etc, but he did change it plenty of times, and some times he fucked it.

The 4-3-3 is a 4-5-1 in defence, and in attack, it let's an attacking midfielder support the striker with 2 "wingers" cutting in and the width comes from our fullbacks.

Nothing wrong with the system imo - the bigger problems were injuries to key players and loss of form to others - add in Gerrards mistakes and we were fucked tbh.

Scottish football is an absolute backwater. Sometimes (as unpalatable as it is) you just need to be more direct and have bodies in the box. 

We we’re outstanding in Europe, but come the winter months when pitches in scotland are like cow fields you need to adapt. TLB did and is sitting with yet another trophy. We didn’t and have nothing to show for it.

I don’t think throwing on another striker after 60 minutes to try to salvage a game, and work with a moody wee bastard who only wants to play on his own, is being ‘adaptable’.

9 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

It's a myth that Gerrard never changes the 4-3-3 tbh - he's made poor decisions on when to change the system effectively and when to bring on subs etc, but he did change it plenty of times, and some times he fucked it.

It’s the wrong system for the players we have.

the 3 forwards all have to contribute with goals.

Kent, Aribo and Arfield had 15 between them in league.

He persists in playing players in a system that doesn’t suit them instead of playing a system that suits the players he had.

2 minutes ago, Bigsasasfloppyhair said:

After his successful loan spell and back to proper match fitness, I would be keeping Murphy.

A seasoned professional and a far better option that Barker, Hastie, Jones etc.

We need experienced players who want to win.

Hes the best out of a piss poor bunch, would be good option if he kept fit especially against the park the bus teams. Need wholesale changes in our wide positions, only Kent really cuts it for a first team berth. Majority we need rid of will probably only go out on loan with us still paying a % of their wages. 

29 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Yet we have 2 defenders and 3 sitting mids doing the exact fucking same, marking lyndon dykes

Our 433 has all but one player sitting in front of their 11, teams sussed our overlapping fullback and just flooded the centre of the park meaning our crosses mostly went to the opposition

I never once said play a 442 recently, i asked for it during the season as i was desperate for him to change anything just to freshen it up and throw off opponents, 

Right now, especially at home, we should be playing something like a 4132 actually have proper wide mids that will take on the fullback, go by them and drive towards the box forcing a centre half to come out and meet them, creating gaps in the middle 

What we seen post xmas was teams sitting with a bank of 5 knowing full well that tav and barisic arent good enough to skin a fullback, so they would just cross it nice and early to a lone striker in the box himseld against 3 big burly bastard centre halves

Archived