Console debate

stevemac

so atm I've no got a console (got an old ps3 but never really use it) and tempted to pick myself up something new.

I cant decide between a PS5 or nintendo switch AND a ps4 Pro. Switch would be new as used priced are crazy expensive anyway, but the arse has fell out of ps4 pros at the minute (one local to me for £130) 

I'd like the idea of having 2, one to doss about on while the wife watches shite on telly or if I'm away for work or whatever, but not sure if I'm setting myself up for disappointment if sony kills off support and releases for the ps4 fairly quickly.

Both switch and ps4 Pro would set me back around 400, while the ps5 would cost around 450. What should a do?

4 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

If you can afford it and are over 12 years old  I’d say the ps5 is the only option. 

the jump from ps3 to ps5 will be wild and you can play PS4 games on it. 

Money isn't a massive issue tbf, I have had a couple of ps4s and sold them due to not really playing them - only ever really play fifa, gta etc. Its just a shame that no other cunt is making handheld consoles anymore, loved my old PSP and the option to play games on the train, at hotels or on the shitter was good. That said, there is a few games i like the look of on switch. But still plenty I wish theyd release but they haven't

14 hours ago, stevemac said:

Money isn't a massive issue tbf, I have had a couple of ps4s and sold them due to not really playing them - only ever really play fifa, gta etc. Its just a shame that no other cunt is making handheld consoles anymore, loved my old PSP and the option to play games on the train, at hotels or on the shitter was good. That said, there is a few games i like the look of on switch. But still plenty I wish theyd release but they haven't

If your wife hogs the telly and you travel for work a good bit, then Switch hands down.

Just know that the only decent sports game is NBA, don't know about PGA though that's just out. I probably play my Switch twice as much as my PS4.

34 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

If your wife hogs the telly and you travel for work a good bit, then Switch hands down.

Just know that the only decent sports game is NBA, don't know about PGA though that's just out. I probably play my Switch twice as much as my PS4.

yeah RE sports games i know there isn't much choice and fifa are just reskin after reskin (how they have gotten away with releasing 'legacy' editions since fifa 18 ill never know) but apparantly PES might be coming to switch. 

I'm not completely sold on it as some classic games deserving of being released on switch are missing (GTA, hell even some of the older ones that are on mobile phones like san andreas, vice city etc. hell i would think gta 4 should cope on the switch hardware. Tekken should be there, Need for Speed. just generally a better choice of racing games.

My biggest concern though is i'll buy a switch and 3 months later they announce this rumoured new switch haha.

2 hours ago, stevemac said:

yeah RE sports games i know there isn't much choice and fifa are just reskin after reskin (how they have gotten away with releasing 'legacy' editions since fifa 18 ill never know) but apparantly PES might be coming to switch. 

I'm not completely sold on it as some classic games deserving of being released on switch are missing (GTA, hell even some of the older ones that are on mobile phones like san andreas, vice city etc. hell i would think gta 4 should cope on the switch hardware. Tekken should be there, Need for Speed. just generally a better choice of racing games.

My biggest concern though is i'll buy a switch and 3 months later they announce this rumoured new switch haha.

Hopefully PES comes to it as the FIFA reskin was as bad as the Vita version I think. 

There is that but there loads of other stuff on it too, you've got Saints Row, Witcher 3, Bioshock etc. Fighting games there is Mortal Kombat and Super Smash Bros. But it really depends on what games you're wanting to play too.

Aye there is that rumour too, at the moment it looks like a Switch Pro. But there's rumours of it only being a dock upgrade too. I'd probably go for a Switch then get a PS5 later. As PS4 is definitely at the end of its cycle. But you say you don't game much and tend to sell them so I'd put a lot of thought in to it rather than wasting a load of cash. 

12 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Hopefully PES comes to it as the FIFA reskin was as bad as the Vita version I think. 

There is that but there loads of other stuff on it too, you've got Saints Row, Witcher 3, Bioshock etc. Fighting games there is Mortal Kombat and Super Smash Bros. But it really depends on what games you're wanting to play too.

Aye there is that rumour too, at the moment it looks like a Switch Pro. But there's rumours of it only being a dock upgrade too. I'd probably go for a Switch then get a PS5 later. As PS4 is definitely at the end of its cycle. But you say you don't game much and tend to sell them so I'd put a lot of thought in to it rather than wasting a load of cash. 

definitely crossed my mind, dont fancy dropping 500 quid on something ill maybe play a few times and shift once i realise i dont have the time to invest in it fully. 

RE games, i fancy some beat em ups, old school style preferably (my all time fave is power stone from the old dreamcast and re-released on PSP but i doubt we will see it again) I like rail shooters (House of the Dead especially, time crisis etc) maybe some family friendly wii sports style games (used to love golf and boxing) Diablo looks good, and of course a half decent footie game are what i would really be after.

1 minute ago, psb07158 said:

The Switch is amazing because the games are class

I'd definitely opt for a Switch + PS4 rather than just a PS5 

Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Deluxe
Super Smash Bros
Mario Kart
Zelda
Pokemon
Astral Chain

Get a Switch Lite? 

really dont appeal to me. I like the switch for its hybrid, family friendly TV plugin as well as a handheld. Plus, the full fat switch is only around 50 more than the Lite. if it were a bigger difference in price I'd maybe consider it but for that sort of price difference I don't think I'll bother.

Thing that everyone is raving about PS5 is its backwards compatability with PS4 games. Why not just keep a PS4 then :huh: ive thought about a PS4 pro even to last a couple of years until the PS5 is reasonably priced, any issues ironed out and a much broader selection of games. I'd imagine the market will be even more flooded once the ps5 launches so other cheap PS4 Pro's will pop up on facebook & gumtree.

• 3 weeks later...

just as an update, picked up an immaculate grey switch lite last night, £90. bargain. Wanted the full fat switch but even used they are doing around £230. (New £260) and should be picking a mates PS4 Pro up later on for £120. should keep me entertained for a few years for around the price of a usual second hand PS4 Pro.

On 25/09/2020 at 14:43, Iakona said:

Another vote for the Switch here. It's a fantastic little console. It's the only one from the last gen that I still own.

PS Diablo is the perfect Switch game.

genuinely excited to play that on switch. Does it still play ok on the lite with the fixed controllers or is it a better play on a normal switch? tbf i think if i enjoy and get the usage out of the lite i'd maybe upgrade in the future, heard whispers of a new 4k ready switch anyway so.

1 hour ago, stevemac said:

genuinely excited to play that on switch. Does it still play ok on the lite with the fixed controllers or is it a better play on a normal switch? tbf i think if i enjoy and get the usage out of the lite i'd maybe upgrade in the future, heard whispers of a new 4k ready switch anyway so.

Haven't tried it on a Lite, only on the normal Switch. It's perfect for handheld though, because of that I've never actually played it in Docked mode. I'd imagine it will be amazing on the Lite too.

7 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Wait a year for the new next gen ones. They will be poor for the first 12 months

thats what I'm thinking. picking up a cheap PS4 pro so I still have something pretty decent (TBH i only play a handful of games anyway, FIFA, GTA etc.) and waiting until prices are down and bugs are ironed out of next gens.

On 14/10/2020 at 09:47, stevemac said:

My pal has both but plays everything on the Lite, he's never found a game where he'd have preferred to play it on a regular Switch. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 02/11/2020 at 02:24, gogzy said:

Buy none of those and get yourself an Xbox like any sane person should. :lol:

Never been into Xbox. always more a playstation kinda guy, but am I fuck paying 500 quid for a console ill barely use haha.

Archived