Villa and Sunderland given permission to talk to Gordon

Hearts goalkeeper Craig Gordon has been given permission to hold transfer talks with Sunderland and Aston Villa, BBC Sport understands.

Sunderland boss Roy Keane has rekindled his interest in the Scotland goalkeeper after having a £5m bid rejected by the Edinburgh club last month.

Aston Villa also want to take the 24-year-old to the Premier League.

A £9m transfer to either of the English clubs may be concluded before Monday's Edinburgh derby at Tynecastle.

The Edinburgh club's majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov has indicated he would be willing to sell Gordon if the player said he wanted to leave.

BBC Sport understands Gordon is holding talks with Keane, and Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill.

Speaking last week , Gordon was reluctant to comment on the transfer speculation.

"The club hasn't told me what kind of figure they want for me, but that's up to them," said Gordon.

"I'm the captain of this club and with that comes responsibilities. I can't take my eye off the ball. I need to concentrate fully on the job."

Stevie Banks, who has been Gordon's understudy for the past two seasons, is expected to play against Hibs.

Petr Cech went for just under £7million, Gordon is nowhere near that quality and never will be, Cech is only 7 months older!!

Over-rated waste of money.

EPL inflating the prices again...Gordon is missing tonights match to go down South for talks...AND Herz are sending back 5 more players to Kaunus ...if they get 9 million they will be out spending before the transfer window shuts...if they do it well they will strengthen their squad considerably with 9 mill

Just to put this into perspective, yeah Cech was only bought for £7 million, but Liverpool paid £9.75 million for Chris Kirkland from Coventry and he's decent but nothing special. Where as i would say Gordon is better than any other British keeper just now.

whats the chances hearts will met killies evalutation for naismith...

None, surely any money they make from Gordon would need to go into that £20 million debt they have or paying for the new main stand they need to build.

Also, Hibs are 13/5 in William Hill for tonight and Hearts have no Gordon, Berra, Kingston, Bednar or Pinilla.

Hearts would not be able to attract quality players, Naismith I doubt would move there and I'd say the likes of Robinson, James and Carson are better.