Kent

Number5

1 minute ago, The Specky Liar said:

A player trading model doesn't mean you discard anyone over the age of 26/27. I think Lawrence is a better player than Kent and will contribute more to the team so I would rather have him in the team. 

Playing for Rangers us very different from playing in a mediocre English club, Kent's one good game every 5 will be acceptable to shite like Burnley.

A better player than Kent even though he's coming back from a destroyed knee with no preseason?  He might be another Roofe who comes back gets inevitably injured again or suffers a setback and just sits in the stands picking up a fortune.  I wouldn't be surprised given our track record.

Kent has shown in Europe last season he can compete at a high level and a more open league would probably suit him.  He isn't scoring 10 or 15 goals a season against a a majority of 10 man low block hammer throwers but he is creating a lot of chances that we are wasteful with and replacing his stats will be difficult.  

25 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Can’t we separate the issue? We can’t just band everyone together in the same boat. Imo part of the reason we lost the league last year because we weren’t fielding a good enough team at times. Especially with injuries.

When we dropped points to County we had Itten, Diallo and Arfield starting.

Thats almost a third of your starting outfield that isn’t title winning quality. 

This year we’ve played the majority of games under Gio when the league was lost with 3-4 of sands, king, Davis, Arfield, wright, McLaughlin/McGregor, an unfit Morelos. 

I fully expect us to drop points playing these guys.

If we’d made the same argument for Goldson-don’t offer him a contract because you’re rewarding failure. We’d be much worse off.

You saw that when he was injured and the replacements were far worse. 

Just because they’ve been here when overall we haven’t won as many titles as we wanted. Isn’t a sensible automatic criteria to blanket bin anyone who has been at the club for more than 3 years.

Of course there are plenty that need moved on. But it shd be done on the merits of each player and their situation. (Money, replacement, reliability etc)

We didnt drop points to county because of they 3 though, we dropped points because our keeper sold 2 and our eventual 25mill sale player sold a goal

5 minutes ago, CoplandStandBear said:

A better player than Kent even though he's coming back from a destroyed knee with no preseason?  He might be another Roofe who comes back gets inevitably injured again or suffers a setback and just sits in the stands picking up a fortune.  I wouldn't be surprised given our track record.

Kent has shown in Europe last season he can compete at a high level and a more open league would probably suit him.  He isn't scoring 10 or 15 goals a season against a a majority of 10 man low block hammer throwers but he is creating a lot of chances that we are wasteful with and replacing his stats will be difficult.  

Kent is highly inconsistent against absolute jobbers, he goes to the EPL their massively better standard defenders will more often than not pocket him no bother

12 minutes ago, Kylegib said:

Is this the same Aribo that scored for us in a European final and who we sold for £6m  which made us a massive profit that you're saying is pish, strange. 

He scored one goal where the defender slipped on his arse ffs, this is the same aribo who went missing for 6 months every season domestically and is now massively out of the picture down south

Aribo was massively overhyped and overrated by our fans, the fact our hero didnt even play him in the same position all the time tells you that

21 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Can’t we separate the issue? We can’t just band everyone together in the same boat. Imo part of the reason we lost the league last year because we weren’t fielding a good enough team at times. Especially with injuries.

When we dropped points to County we had Itten, Diallo and Arfield starting.

Thats almost a third of your starting outfield that isn’t title winning quality. 

This year we’ve played the majority of games under Gio when the league was lost with 3-4 of sands, king, Davis, Arfield, wright, McLaughlin/McGregor, an unfit Morelos. 

I fully expect us to drop points playing these guys.

If we’d made the same argument for Goldson-don’t offer him a contract because you’re rewarding failure. We’d be much worse off.

You saw that when he was injured and the replacements were far worse. 

Just because they’ve been here when overall we haven’t won as many titles as we wanted. Isn’t a sensible automatic criteria to blanket bin anyone who has been at the club for more than 3 years.

Of course there are plenty that need moved on. But it shd be done on the merits of each player and their situation. (Money, replacement, reliability etc)

I think it's naive not to band together the mainstays of those failures. Kent has been pretty much ever present - particularly in cup finals, semi finals and quarter finals where we've been beaten.

Disagree on your assessment of last season, we had more than a good enough squad ability wise to win the league but the mentality wasn't there - dropping points in games when we were 2 up, or individual errors costing us in the 90th minute on several occasions (McGregor). That's a mentality issue, not ability.

I don't know that Kent has done enough for us to pay him what we would likely need to to keep him. For me, Goldson had at that time.

As I said, I think he has ability and appreciate what he does contribute in terms of assists and work rate, but I think we could spend the money better replacing him with someone fresh and more driven to succeed here. Maybe that won't turn out to be the case, or maybe we'll sign him up and he'll perform even better when he has other players contributing more. 

The attack, as a collective, doesn't do enough for me and hasn't functioned properly since we had Kent, Morelos and Roofe as the front 3 in 20/21. With the exception to that being the european run. 

I would say being here, and being an integral player, when we haven't won as many trophies as we *should* have won is one of the biggest criteria for moving players on from Rangers. We shouldn't rip things up after 6 months but equally, we shouldn't give players 5, 6, 7 chances to win here after failing consistently. Then failure becomes ingrained.

9 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

We didnt drop points to county because of they 3 though, we dropped points because our keeper sold 2 and our eventual 25mill sale player sold a goal

Yeh course individual errors. But we were honking first half. Until Diallo, Arfield and itten were replaced.

Point is the 55 season. We regularly fielded an eleven where there were no weaknesses. You had a bunch of fit guys near their prime.

Fast forward to this season, and we’ve regularly played games with 3-4 players who are past their best McGregor, Davis, Arfield.

Too young/not good enough eg sands/king/McLaughlin 

Or unfit/back from injury eg Morelos.

Regularly playing 3-4 guys that wouldn’t have started for us when we last won the league. But all the blame gets laid at the better/senior players. 

So im less in the camp rushing to replace Kent. And much more sorting out the areas we are criminally lacking in. Gk, cm, striker, rw

16 minutes ago, Kylegib said:

Is this the same Aribo that scored for us in a European final and who we sold for £6m  which made us a massive profit that you're saying is pish, strange. 

Aribo was generally pish for us tbh. Occasional moment of magic but that’s no use at Rangers. Been dreadful for Southampton to the point where he wasn’t even in the squad at the weekend. Will end up at some Championship jobber, that’s his level. 

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

He scored one goal where the defender slipped on his arse ffs, this is the same aribo who went missing for 6 months every season domestically and is now massively out of the picture down south

Aribo was massively overhyped and overrated by our fans, the fact our hero didnt even play him in the same position all the time tells you that

Aribo did have some poor games but the fact remains he scored in a European final and made us a tidy profit so it's a bit harsh to say he was pish. Out of interest is there any players from our most recent league winning team you thought were good.

4 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

@Jimbeamjunior just hates every player. “It’s not Gio’s fault it’s the players” etc. and now this pish.

Odd behaviour.

Given you cream your load over kent no matter how pish he is, i dont see many giving a fuck what you think tbh

3 minutes ago, Kylegib said:

Aribo did have some poor games but the fact remains he scored in a European final and made us a tidy profit so it's a bit harsh to say he was pish. Out of interest is there any players from our most recent league winning team you thought were good.

Nope because thats now 4 out of 5 seasons and 3 different managers for most of them where they have shown absolutely shitbaggery when it comes to winning trophies domestically

Its funny how after the OF final you consistently barked on about the tarriers overhauling our trophy count, but will not hear a bad word said about the players who played a major role in that happening 

9 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Yeh course individual errors. But we were honking first half. Until Diallo, Arfield and itten were replaced.

Point is the 55 season. We regularly fielded an eleven where there were no weaknesses. You had a bunch of fit guys near their prime.

Fast forward to this season, and we’ve regularly played games with 3-4 players who are past their best McGregor, Davis, Arfield.

Too young/not good enough eg sands/king/McLaughlin 

Or unfit/back from injury eg Morelos.

Regularly playing 3-4 guys that wouldn’t have started for us when we last won the league. But all the blame gets laid at the better/senior players. 

So im less in the camp rushing to replace Kent. And much more sorting out the areas we are criminally lacking in. Gk, cm, striker, rw

The blame gets laid at the senior players because they failed to step up, the tarriers just beat us in a cup final with a left back they signed from Kilmarnock ffs

We have had massive injury issues this season, if we didn't (like the title season) we wouldnt have seen davis, arfield, sands and king anywhere near the team, its not like they are first teamers

Fact is right now if our whole squad is fit, fully fit, then kent doesn't play, would you argue against that? 

8 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

I think it's naive not to band together the mainstays of those failures. Kent has been pretty much ever present - particularly in cup finals, semi finals and quarter finals where we've been beaten.

Disagree on your assessment of last season, we had more than a good enough squad ability wise to win the league but the mentality wasn't there - dropping points in games when we were 2 up, or individual errors costing us in the 90th minute on several occasions (McGregor). That's a mentality issue, not ability.

I don't know that Kent has done enough for us to pay him what we would likely need to to keep him. For me, Goldson had at that time.

As I said, I think he has ability and appreciate what he does contribute in terms of assists and work rate, but I think we could spend the money better replacing him with someone fresh and more driven to succeed here. Maybe that won't turn out to be the case, or maybe we'll sign him up and he'll perform even better when he has other players contributing more. 

The attack, as a collective, doesn't do enough for me and hasn't functioned properly since we had Kent, Morelos and Roofe as the front 3 in 20/21. With the exception to that being the european run. 

I would say being here, and being an integral player, when we haven't won as many trophies as we *should* have won is one of the biggest criteria for moving players on from Rangers. We shouldn't rip things up after 6 months but equally, we shouldn't give players 5, 6, 7 chances to win here after failing consistently. Then failure becomes ingrained.

Fair. Definitely think there’s players that need moving on and shd have been after Seville. They’d achieved everything they wd in Scottish football and understandable they might not maintain the same hunger + standards. (See Morelos, Kamara..) And generally we’ve been dog shit at squad management and not anticipating this.

I think it’s slightly dangerous to overplay the loser card tbh. It’s all very picky and choosy. We got to a European final with games on the biggest stage. But there wasn’t a problem there. 

I think people overestimate how good the actual eleven taking the field is at times. McGregor is he really mentally any worse than other keepers? Or just fucking old and prone to errors. 55 was just the culmination of our team reaching maturity. We were just much better than them. Scott Brown didn’t become a “loser”. He just became old and shit. 

I don’t really think Kent has a mentality problem. He’s been good and bad in equal measure in big and small games. Scored some cracking goals in old firms and was incredible in Europe. 

The squad needs freshening. But not with the complete blanket bin everyone approach. We just can’t afford to do that nor is it the right approach imo. Kent, tav, goldson are guys that have enough quality to win the league if we get the rest of the team right. 

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The blame gets laid at the senior players because they failed to step up, the tarriers just beat us in a cup final with a left back they signed from Kilmarnock ffs

We have had massive injury issues this season, if we didn't (like the title season) we wouldnt have seen davis, arfield, sands and king anywhere near the team, its not like they are first teamers

Fact is right now if our whole squad is fit, fully fit, then kent doesn't play, would you argue against that? 

Im not really disagreeing. My point is replace the shit guys. Not the senior/fit/contributing ones. 

Not really sure about the Taylor comment. He’s worse than our full backs but still a Scotland international. But overall their starting eleven that took the field had more quality than ours.

They beat us because they had better players, better system and probably fitter.

But I’m confident if you stick 4 new quality players in there. Give Beale 6 months working with them. That we can beat them and win the league.

But I didn’t come away from that final thinking. We just replace Tavernier at all costs

If our squad is fit yes I think Kent still starts. 

Kent is a good footballer. But we have come to a fork in the road. He does not do enough to deserve a pay rise but if he is willing to sign on the dotted line for the same amount of money then I would keep him.

If he insists on another 5 or 10k a week then let him go.

4 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Im not really disagreeing. My point is replace the shit guys. Not the senior/fit/contributing ones. 

Not really sure about the Taylor comment. He’s worse than our full backs but still a Scotland international. But overall their starting eleven that took the field had more quality than ours.

They beat us because they had better players, better system and probably fitter.

But I’m confident if you stick 4 new quality players in there. Give Beale 6 months working with them. That we can beat them and win the league.

But I didn’t come away from that final thinking. We just replace Tavernier at all costs

If our squad is fit yes I think Kent still starts. 

So you'd start kent over a fully fit lawerence, tillman, cantwell? 

3 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

Kent is a good footballer. But we have come to a fork in the road. He does not do enough to deserve a pay rise but if he is willing to sign on the dotted line for the same amount of money then I would keep him.

If he insists on another 5 or 10k a week then let him go.

He's not worth what he's paid the now, barisic has played one game less this season and has the same assists but two less goals, kent is supposed to be one of our main attacking goal threats and a fullback is almost beating him in stats, and its not like barisic does a tav and takes all the set pieces

4 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

So you'd start kent over a fully fit lawerence, tillman, cantwell? 

Think that 3 would give you very little width/pace/ability to run behind. Lawrence and cantwell have played wide. But I’m not sure they would fit together for Beale.

More generally I haven’t seen enough of cantwell or Lawrence. Lawrence obv coming back after very serious injury at 30. No certainty he’ll get back to his best. Cantwell I’m optimistic. But then again I was also excited when Hagi played a few games for us. And many others

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

He's not worth what he's paid the now, barisic has played one game less this season and has the same assists but two less goals, kent is supposed to be one of our main attacking goal threats and a fullback is almost beating him in stats, and its not like barisic does a tav and takes all the set pieces

Crap comparison as basically our whole play has been based around getting him and Tav to the bye line to cross and assist. 

17 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Crap comparison as basically our whole play has been based around getting him and Tav to the bye line to cross and assist. 

Would also be interesting to know how many of the chances Barisic makes come from Kent advancing us up the pitch and playing him in.