Cheltenham Festival 2024

• 2 weeks later...

What a week of sport with this and the football on Thursday, buzzing is an understatement.

My bets for Tuesday will be;

Supreme Novice - Mistergif main bet, Asian Master ew

Arkle Chase - Hunters Yarn

Ultima - Famous Bridge ew

Champion Hurdle - No bet (may stick few quid ew on Nemean Lion if it continues to drift)

Mares Hurdle - Lantry Lady ew

Boodles - Ndaawi main bet, Latin verse ew

National Hunt Chase - Embassy Gardens

2 minutes ago, ShanksRFC said:

What a week of sport with this and the football on Thursday, buzzing is an understatement.

Champion Hurdle - No bet (may stick few quid ew on Nemean Lion if it continues to drift)

Used to be buzzing for and love Cheltenham but it’s becoming a bit of farce now in all honesty.

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

Why is that?

I don't follow British racing at all so have no idea.

Prize money is part of the problem and the field sizes at most national hunt meetings are a disgrace meaning sponsors are basically ditching putting prize money up 

3 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Why is that?

I don't follow British racing at all so have no idea.

Quite a few issues to be honest.

The schedule needs totally scrapped and redone imo. There is far to many meetings which is effecting prize money and sponsorship.

In Britain, trainers are also very reluctant to put their best horses against one another until the week of Cheltenham. This wasn't the case say 10-15 years ago. This is leading to big races having field sizes of 3 or 4. This is also putting people off attending race courses.

Affordability checks are also beginning to cause problems for punters and prospective new owners. I think this will only get worse in all honesty.

6 minutes ago, ShanksRFC said:

Quite a few issues to be honest.

The schedule needs totally scrapped and redone imo. There is far to many meetings which is effecting prize money and sponsorship.

In Britain, trainers are also very reluctant to put their best horses against one another until the week of Cheltenham. This wasn't the case say 10-15 years ago. This is leading to big races having field sizes of 3 or 4. This is also putting people off attending race courses.

Affordability checks are also beginning to cause problems for punters and prospective new owners. I think this will only get worse in all honesty.

Are these issues just for NH or is it affecting flat racing too?

Just now, ShanksRFC said:

I don't follow flat racing but I believe there is similar issues but couldn't confirm 100%.

The field sizes are still not bad on the flat 8+ seems to be more normal there than the 3 and 4 runner races that seem to plague the jumps tracks.

the money is an issue still at flat racing especially your every day races, a lot of handicaps pay 4 and 5k yet claimers and maidens in America can pay around 8times that.

They’ve tried to fix it with the racing league fixtures etc but I don’t know how much of a success that was for Them 

1 hour ago, ShanksRFC said:

How confident are you in Embassy Gardens? I only have one treble and have Corbett’s Cross on it :lol: 

Just now, ForeverAndEver said:

How confident are you in Embassy Gardens? I only have one treble and have Corbett’s Cross on it :lol: 

There is arguments for and against both horses to be honest.

Embassy Gardens blew up last year at Cheltenham but has looked impressive this year, his jumping especially.

Corbetts Cross had his own problems at Cheltenham last year when he ran into the railings at the last hurdle. His jumping has been a bit suspect at times this year but has a really good chance if he jumps well. He is a bit quirky but the trainer is top class to be fair so I'd imagine he will have him spot on for this.

I picked Embassy Gardens as he tends to make ground at his fences rather than lost ground. Something Corbetts Cross has been at risk of in the past.

22 hours ago, RFC55 said:

The field sizes are still not bad on the flat 8+ seems to be more normal there than the 3 and 4 runner races that seem to plague the jumps tracks.

the money is an issue still at flat racing especially your every day races, a lot of handicaps pay 4 and 5k yet claimers and maidens in America can pay around 8times that.

They’ve tried to fix it with the racing league fixtures etc but I don’t know how much of a success that was for Them 

I only really take an interest in Asia and Australia but that has waned significantly and with Kranji closing this year that's another nail in the coffin for me. Been a couple of years since I've even placed a bet. Too hard to follow with time differences.

A few years back I started trying to follow racing here but gave up. Too busy to spend time to following form, getting to know horses and jockeys and tracks. I'm lucky that I'm not compulsive, I don't really bet unless I have at least a vague understanding of what I'm doing.