Olympics 2024

Just now, Blue Nosed Babe said:

I would have to agree. Lack of transparency muddies waters and leads to suspicion but the bottom line is if you are not competing cleanly you are out sin die unless there are VERY exceptional circumstances. It was suggested that even if you were spiked or ate contaminated food unwittingly (and can prove it) then you should still be sanctioned but maybe not banned as the advantage was still there. 

The difficulty is proving that you've been unwittingly spiked or contamimated.

It's a horrible scenario tbh as we could be banning someone who just didn't have a clue what was happening. If it is a natural bi-product of the meat being ingested then as you say, a sanction or temporary ban would suffice. 

I just don't get why you would train most of your adult life to then throw it away by trying to gain an unfair advantage. 

The Olympic committee seem to be pretty lax this year on a few areas of concern

17 minutes ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

Adam Peaty's comments about Chinese swimmers (well 2 of them)....thoughts? 

I never knew meat could be contaminated with banned drugs. I have learned my new thing today (after my Japanese)

The cyclist Alberto Contador claimed that his positive test for clenbuterol was due to contaminated beef. The court of arbitration didn't buy it. Lost his Tour de France title. 

1 minute ago, JamieD said:

The cyclist Alberto Contador claimed that his positive test for clenbuterol was due to contaminated beef. The court of arbitration didn't buy it. Lost his Tour de France title. 

And yet the authorities bought the Chinese claim.....that is strange.

5 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

The difficulty is proving that you've been unwittingly spiked or contamimated.

It's a horrible scenario tbh as we could be banning someone who just didn't have a clue what was happening. If it is a natural bi-product of the meat being ingested then as you say, a sanction or temporary ban would suffice. 

I just don't get why you would train most of your adult life to then throw it away by trying to gain an unfair advantage. 

The Olympic committee seem to be pretty lax this year on a few areas of concern

They sure are and are happy to screw over athletes in the process.

The whole meat thing has popped up quite a lot over the years.

Shelby Houlihan (athlete) tested positive for Nandrolone and tried to blame pork from a Burrito van as the cause, but she was banned.

More recent Erriyon Knighton (fastest ever teenager over 200m) tested positive for Trenbolone and again blamed contaminated beef and was subsequently cleared and will be competing in these Olympics.

If I was an American athlete I would not be going near meat from these sort of places.

2 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

Shelby Houlihan (athlete) tested positive for Nandrolone and tried to blame pork from a Burrito van as the cause, but she was banned.

More recent Erriyon Knighton (fastest ever teenager over 200m) tested positive for Trenbolone and again blamed contaminated beef and was subsequently cleared and will be competing in these Olympics.

If I was an American athlete I would not be going near meat from these sort of places.

It begs the question what the fuck are they either putting in the meat or feeding the animals....

1 minute ago, TheKingObv said:

It's consistency in decision making from the authorities on one hand, but...

If it's apparently beef products that contain or can contain these banned substances, wouldn't you just steer clear? I know beef contains a lot of important minerals, but you'd surely just not take the risk as an athelete?

2 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

It's consistency in decision making from the authorities on one hand, but...

If it's apparently beef products that contain or can contain these banned substances, wouldn't you just steer clear? I know beef contains a lot of important minerals, but you'd surely just not take the risk as an athelete?

Indeed.

Seems like a fairly straightforward solution to me.

23 minutes ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

It begs the question what the fuck are they either putting in the meat or feeding the animals....

Tren is used by livestock farmers in some places in the same way it's used by bodybuilders - to put more meat on the animal. 

8 minutes ago, Rowley Birkin said:

this shouldnt be allowed if true

All this shit makes you wonder what the point of the Olympics is when countries try to find loopholes or just outright cheat and the IOC does nothing. At least the Commonwealth Games has integrity.

44 minutes ago, Rowley Birkin said:

this shouldnt be allowed if true

Im quite pro-Israeli but this video is a load of nonsense.

There's a big Palestinian diaspora across the world and they aren't the first team to call up people who are born overseas from that diaspora. Most of the good African countries have football teams full of players born and raised in France.

Talking about people born in refugee camps in Syria as not Palestinian is a bit of a nonsense. There are generations of Palestinians born in refugee camps, some of them are actually like mini cities, and they aren't often entitled to citizenship of the places they live in.

Don't see how any of this is different to someone like Zola Budd or Chris Froome competing for Britain at the Olympics.

12 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Im quite pro-Israeli but this video is a load of nonsense.

There's a big Palestinian diaspora across the world and they aren't the first team to call up people who are born overseas from that diaspora. Most of the good African countries have football teams full of players born and raised in France.

Talking about people born in refugee camps in Syria as not Palestinian is a bit of a nonsense. There are generations of Palestinians born in refugee camps, some of them are actually like mini cities, and they aren't entitled to citizenship of the places they live in.

Don't see how any of this is different to someone like Zola Budd or Chris Froome competing for Britain at the Olympics.

You're right, the YouTube guy is an absolute cock.

He's laughing about Chile, but Santiago literally has a football team in the top league Club Deportivo Palestino from the diaspora, it's not nearly as unlikely as he thinks.

5 minutes ago, blaudrup said:

You're right, the YouTube guy is an absolute cock.

He's laughing about Chile, but Santiago literally has a football team in the top league Club Deportivo Palestino from the diaspora, it's not nearly as unlikely as he thinks.

I've had a quick look, they don't have many athletes so it took me about five minutes, and all of them are either born in Palestine or have parents that are Palestinian.