Ehiogu Wants To Be Goal Hero Again

craigbrown69

Ehiogu Wants To Be Goal Hero Again

Oct 19 2007 By Anthony Haggerty

Old Firm Countdown: 1 Day To Go

UGO EHIOGU last night revealed he would love to repeat his Old Firm goalscoring exploit for Rangers.

Defender Ehiogu hit the only goal with a spectacular overhead kick to hand his side a 1-0 victory at Parkhead in March.

The former England cap admitted the enormity of delivering boss Walter Smith his first Old Firm win in his second stint in charge took weeks to sink in.

Ehiogu is fit again after recovering from an Achilles injury and played in a midweek 2-2 reserve team draw with Motherwell.

Now he is ready to challenge for a place in Walter Smith's first team again.

Ehiogu said: "It was a bizarre feeling after I scored that goal against Celtic.

"I did not get the gist of what I had done until a few weeks afterwards when it really began to sink in.

"I would love to play against Celtic again on Saturday and try to repeat that goal.

"I have felt great for the past two weeks and there has been no reaction from the Achilles injury."

The 34-year-old former Aston Villa and Middlesbrough player has featured just once this season for Rangers - in last month's 4-0 CIS Cup win over East Fife. He admits he has a tough job to try to break up the favoured defensive pairing of David Weir and Carlos Cuellar.

Ehiogu said: "They have been playing a lot of games lately but have been playing very well. It will be hard to dislodge them.

"But if the manager wants to freshen things up then I am certainly ready.

"I just need to get some first-team games.

"Hopefully I will get my chance against Celtic but if not I will keep working and wait patiently for that chance to come along."

Rangers follow up their Old Firm clash with a Champions League crunch with Barcelona.

Ehiogu admits he doesn't hold out much hope of being involved in the Euro double header against the Spanish giants.

He said: "The European squad is quite big but I am not sure that I will feature in those games.

"When I do come in I think it will be for SPL games from time to time if that's what the manager chooses."

Ehiogu formed part of a strong Rangers reserve side against Motherwell.

Also playing were Thomas Buffel, Chris Burke, Alan Gow and Kirk Broadfoot.

Could be a good move to play him, especially if Webster is injuried.

I very much doubt he will be involved in any first team games, unless we are really desperate.

The lack of mobility from the big man is frightening!

Theres no point breaking up the Weir-Cuellar partnership for a game like this. By all means give him another chance at some point like we did with Webster against Gretna, but this game is too big. His goal was good and obviously important but you can't base playing him on that, he is a defender after all.