Matthew Taylor

Craigy

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RANGERS' bid to land Portsmouth defender Matt Taylor could be scuppered by the African Nations' Cup.

SportTimes understands Walter Smith was keen on moving in January for the tough 26-year-old, who can operate at left back or in midfield.

Taylor has been frustrated at his lack of starts this season at Fratton Park and has attracted interest from Everton, Fulham and Sunderland.

Pompey boss Harry Redknapp knows he can't keep Taylor happy - but he will lose SEVEN players next week when the African Nations' Cup preparations begin.

Redknapp is adamant no players will be allowed to leave, meaning Rangers will almost certainly be unable to follow up initial interest.

Redknapp said: "I understand Matty's position, he's a great lad and a great professional. But when the African Nations starts I'll have a squad of only 14 players capable of playing at Premier League level. That's all."

Smith wants to bring in two or three players in January, with the same number set to leave. It is believed decent funds are in place and he will also get whatever comes in from departures.

Reports today also claim Rangers are looking at £1m Poland left back Seweryn Gancarczyk, 26, from Metalist Kharkiv in Ukraine.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...1927079.0.0.php

Doubt we could afford him, but I'd love to sign him. A cracking player. Wonder what position Smith see's him as?

I'd assume left back, but maybe when Smith returns we could see him pushed further up the park.

I saw taylor when he was a young player at Luton town quite a bit, and he was a great player even then ( albeit at a lower standard of football agreed), and it was evident he would go on to the premiership eventually. Tbh with a left peg like he has, I'm surprised he hasnt got into England Setup what with their well documented problems on the left

Good player and I think he would defo be interested in the move as he has hardly started any games in months 4 pompey!!! Redknapp is being coy about his squad, he will defo bring in 4 or 5 bodies in January to cope with the Nations Cup. If Taylor wants the deal then it may happen but probably nearer the end of the transfer window to cover the Nations Cup!!!

I'd take Matty Taylor in a flash, but we'll face stiff competition for him, and he may prefer to stay in England to try and break into the international setup, sadly.

Champions League football may influence him though.

Hes a good player, but I can't see him getting a move to the top four in England, so if he did want to play at the highest level then he would probably need to move to do so.