The first Ibrox disaster.

Bear

Do Rangers do anything for the first disaster that took place on 5th April 1902 when 25 soles lost their live and hundreds injured?

I know it was a Scotland v England fixture but that does not matter as it happened at Ibrox Stadium. Surely any tragic event should be remebered no matter when it happened or who was playing?

Do Rangers do anything for the first disaster that took place on 5th April 1902 when 25 soles lost their live and hundreds injured?

I know it was a Scotland v England fixture but that does not matter as it happened at Ibrox Stadium. Surely any tragic event should be remebered no matter when it happened or who was playing?

Indeed it should but perhaps at a more national level

i cant remember anything taking place to remember the people that died.

I would concur Minstral, not an event - tragic as it was - that is remembered publicly by our club, maybe if there is an international week about that time that they could pay a visit to our ground and lay a wreath, I'm sure our fans would respect it.

I found this............

During the 1960s there were concerns about the safety of the stairway adjacent to passageway 13 (colloquially known as Stairway 13) the exit closest to Copland Road Underground Station. On 16 September 1961 two people were killed in a crush on the stairway, and there were two other incidents where several people were injured. However Rangers had spent £150,000 on improvements, a very significant sum for the time. But these improvments only went on to cause the second disaster, by making it impossible to escape from the stairway.

I'm unsure of how true this is, but there you go.

Its up to the SFA to do the decent thing by remembering the dead. Don't hold your breath.

I found this............

During the 1960s there were concerns about the safety of the stairway adjacent to passageway 13 (colloquially known as Stairway 13) the exit closest to Copland Road Underground Station. On 16 September 1961 two people were killed in a crush on the stairway, and there were two other incidents where several people were injured. However Rangers had spent £150,000 on improvements, a very significant sum for the time. But these improvments only went on to cause the second disaster, by making it impossible to escape from the stairway.

Its up to the SFA to do the decent thing by remembering the dead. Don't hold your breath.

if my memory serves the improvements were metal barriers on the stairs before that there was no handrail .this if im right was a 2/2 draw against the tic. and it was jim baxters first old firm game...

I found this............

That's the one. Seems to have been forgotten this. Of course everybody knows of the 1971 disaster, and as this thread shows, even the 1902 incident. I wonder if there is a memorial for the two Bears who died in 1961? Be good to remember them as well.