Trust Q&A With Key Rangers Employees

Frankie

As the RST links with Rangers Youth Development continue to get closer both organisations have come up with an idea to get more information from the guys who work within the youth set-up. Over the next couple of weeks the RST will have a chance to ask questions to the following people.

Colin Stewart: Director of Operations, Rangers FC Development Fund

Satty Singh: Director Rangers FC Development Fund

Jimmy Sinclair: Director of Murray Park

Craig Mulholland: Youth Development

Billy Kirkwood: Rangers U19 Coach

John Fleck: Member of the U19 squad

Andrew Shinnie: Member of the U19 squad

We would like to give RM members the chance to tell us the questions that they would like asked. All you have to do is send an email to scottrst@hotmail.co.uk with your question and whom the question is for. Please ask as many questions as you like.

Once we have your questions answered we will list all the answers on our website.

:)

Guest Andypendek

to the players: has your coaching to date leant more heavily on fitness or technical work, and how much time do you spend working on those areas of your game which you consider weak?

to billy kirkwood: does he use anything he learnt from jim maclean, if so what?

to craig mulholland: is finding kids willing to work hard becoming easier or harder?

to the directors of the DF: do you have targets relating to amounts and timescale, or is this a more ad-hoc type thing?

to jimmy sinclair: why have we not produced a CB since dave mcpherson, or, debateably, steven pressley, and is there light at the end of that particular tunnel?

i would love to ask shinnie or fleck if they feel they get any benefit from being in the matchday squad and sitting on the bench even though they know they will probably not get on. I am not in favour of the under 21 rule myself as i dont see the benefit so it would be interesting to see what the youngsters think. I'm all for them training in the first team as they would benefit from that but dont see them benefiting much from warming the bench.

to the players: has your coaching to date leant more heavily on fitness or technical work, and how much time do you spend working on those areas of your game which you consider weak?

to billy kirkwood: does he use anything he learnt from jim maclean, if so what?

to craig mulholland: is finding kids willing to work hard becoming easier or harder?

to the directors of the DF: do you have targets relating to amounts and timescale, or is this a more ad-hoc type thing?

to jimmy sinclair: why have we not produced a CB since dave mcpherson, or, debatably, steven pressley, and is there light at the end of that particular tunnel?

Personally i think part of that problem is that it is the Ronaldos of the world that are tagged as the "superstars". Thats why most kids want to play in midfield or upfront (tu)

Not sure who these questions should be aimed at but anyways...

At what age group would/do you encourage the competitive element of the game to be introduced (ie cups, points for a league system etc), would you change this and if so in what way?

Do you feel that when kids are playing at developmental stage then move from 7s to 11s that there should be a 'settling in' period so kids can still learn from their mistakes without the pressure of losing a game in a cup?

We often hear of British commentators saying that the Continental players are more technical than our players, do you feel this is the case? If so how do you feel we can improve on this? If not, does it bother you when you continually hear this stereotypical statement being said which possibly leads to our players believing this? (sort of the battered partner syndrome, ie they start believing what gets said that they begin to belive the horrible things said to them - sorry for the vulgar analogy but I'm sure you can make the connection)

Where do you see the youth development in say 5-8 years (round about the time my lad will be turning 13 ;)) what aspects of the game will you focus on - technique, pace, awareness on the pitch of the player in relation to the play and the other players, any others?

Thanks for the time to ask the questions, I have many more but wish to let my fellow Gers fans have a say!

Also would it be possible for myself and a couple of other coaches in my team to visit your facilities at Murray Park to see how your set-up is with regards to coaching the kids? (hey, you don't ask, you don't get!)

to Craig Mulholland : do you feel there is a danger of over-coaching youngsters, in the sense that football becomes too serious too soon to the detriment of the lads enjoying playing itself ?

to Billy Kirkwood : how have methods changed in the way you developed as a young player compared to the way it happens now ?

I'd like to ask Fleck, and Shinnie to an extent, how they feel about being labeled 'the next big thing'? Does it give them confidence that some believe in their ability, or do they feel pressurized by it?

Guest Andypendek

i see what craigy means re: kids wanting to be the star not the workhorse. but a glance around shows: mcmanus and kennedy over there, diamond (under-rated imo), at motherwell reynolds, even broadfoot when he came thru at love street, berra and webster, caldwell and so on. there are scottish CBs, but we haven't had a sniff for ages. it's not as if we've been blessed with outstanding defenders either, soto and marvin anyone?

possibly there's no answer but i'd like to know what those in charge think.

also, to what extent do young players attached to rangers get professionalism training, ie education on diet, lifetsyle, sleep patterns and so forth. not a very hip or scottish thing to do when 17, but getting enough rest and eating properly (perhaps i should say drinking properly) can make the difference between a barry ferguson and a charlie miller.i reckon if i ask enough questions one might get asked!

i see what craigy means re: kids wanting to be the star not the workhorse. but a glance around shows: mcmanus and kennedy over there, diamond (under-rated imo), at motherwell reynolds, even broadfoot when he came thru at love street, berra and webster, caldwell and so on. there are scottish CBs, but we haven't had a sniff for ages. it's not as if we've been blessed with outstanding defenders either, soto and marvin anyone?

possibly there's no answer but i'd like to know what those in charge think.

also, to what extent do young players attached to rangers get professionalism training, ie education on diet, lifetsyle, sleep patterns and so forth. not a very hip or scottish thing to do when 17, but getting enough rest and eating properly (perhaps i should say drinking properly) can make the difference between a barry ferguson and a charlie miller.i reckon if i ask enough questions one might get asked!

Mate your questions are all valid so I reckon we will ask them all. :rangers:

Guest Andypendek

just thinking about how many of our pros seem to be semi-feral, uneducated borderline alcoholics who consider the salad on a kebab as health food, yet continental ones who move here are bilingual (at least) and far more aware of such revolutionary tactics like not getting hammered on a thursday night gave me an idea - just as many uni-s have campuses (campii?) attached to them, could we at some stage in the future have a facility in eg spain? a bit of warm weather winter training, removed from the 'culture' around here, perhaps give the players language lessons in whatever is the local lingua - get the players interacting with other training camps in the host country, educate the players. probably a pipe dream!

maybe the states would be better. remember andy murray was virtually brought up in spain and it hasn't done him any harm , has it? $$$$$$! anyway, the question would be: could rangers at some future stage consider opening a training facility abroad (US/Spain for example) with which to provide warm weather training and a concentrated environment in which the best can flourish?

Not sure who this would go to (possible Mulholland) but I would like to enquire why a lot of the Rangers Coaching Camps for children occur in the west of Scotland? As an avid Rangers fan, I was denied the chance to go to these having grown up in East Lothian and being unable to get through to them. Is this because the Edinburgh teams have a "first priority" to the youth nearer their area or are Rangers just not prepared to deploy coaches out this way?

First - Congratulations to Andypendek for some real searching questions that seem well thought out.

Secondly: Some further questions:

Q1. Are the younger players in any way discouraged that Walter seems reluctant to give them a chance?

Q2. How would the coaches rate the quality of the current crop of players from U16 through U19 and how many of these players have a serious chance of playing in the Rangers First team in the next few years?

Q3. How much interaction is there between the youth set up/Reserves/First team in training?

Q4. How much is time divided into phsical training/ballwork/tactics/education & diet/any other subject?

Q5. What is the youngest age of any footballers that get to use Murray Park?

Q6. What is the most difficult thing for Coaches to get through to young players.

Q7. Are players encouraged at an early age to attend any Supporter's functions?

Q8. What generally is the attitude of the younger players? Are they spoiled or eager to learn or is it a mixture and how do Coaches keep them in line with the right attitude, diet, way of life etc.?

Thanks!

First - Congratulations to Andypendek for some real searching questions that seem well thought out.

Secondly: Some further questions:

Q1. Are the younger players in any way discouraged that Walter seems reluctant to give them a chance?

Q2. How would the coaches rate the quality of the current crop of players from U16 through U19 and how many of these players have a serious chance of playing in the Rangers First team in the next few years?

Q3. How much interaction is there between the youth set up/Reserves/First team in training?

Q4. How much is time divided into phsical training/ballwork/tactics/education & diet/any other subject?

Q5. What is the youngest age of any footballers that get to use Murray Park?

Q6. What is the most difficult thing for Coaches to get through to young players.

Q7. Are players encouraged at an early age to attend any Supporter's functions?

Q8. What generally is the attitude of the younger players? Are they spoiled or eager to learn or is it a mixture and how do Coaches keep them in line with the right attitude, diet, way of life etc.?

Thanks!

Some great questions there mate.