Would you be gutted?

diesel0412

if we went out tonight???

personally i wouldn,t tbh.i want us to do well off course but if we do go out then it could be a blessing in disguise,we could concentrate fully on getting the title back to where it belongs :rangers:

what worries me is the whispering campaign that Walter isn't interested and would rather go out. The longer we stay in Europe the better, it develops the team and enhances our status....especially when the Timmies go out :craphead:

If we went out tonight I would be gutted !!

All this talk of going out "being a blessing in disguise" is a total nonsense, I have even heard so called Rangers fan saying that "we have no chance of winning the competition so we should just concentrate on the league". WTF is that all about? IMO we have NO chance of winning the Champions League in the next decade (if not longer) so by that logic we shouldn't even bother with it? so we should just concentrate on the domestic trophies and just forget about Europe becuase we won't win?

if we went out tonight???

personally i wouldn,t tbh.i want us to do well off course but if we do go out then it could be a blessing in disguise,we could concentrate fully on getting the title back to where it belongs :rangers:

My head kind of agrees with you, I don't think we will win the Uefa Cup, so I don't think it holds a great deal of merit for us, and could hold us back in the league. I can convince myself of this until the games are approaching, then the overwhelming desire - even desperation- to win EVERY game takes over. So I say come on the Gers, let's beat the Greeks in their own stadium, and be in Europe longer than the mhanks!

:rangers:

All this talk of going out "being a blessing in disguise" is a total nonsense, I have even heard so called Rangers fan saying that "we have no chance of winning the competition so we should just concentrate on the league". WTF is that all about? IMO we have NO chance of winning the Champions League in the next decade (if not longer) so by that logic we shouldn't even bother with it? so we should just concentrate on the domestic trophies and just forget about Europe becuase we won't win?

No we shouldn't solely focus on domestic trophies.

But by simply by getting to The Champions League the club recieves a massive financial boost, you only have to look at our results from yesterday to see that as well as giving us the chance to play some of the best teams in Europe.

The UEFA Cup on the other hand offers nowhere near the money that the Champions League does and I think I'm right to say that you have to get to the final before you make the same money you do by reaching the last 16 of the Champions League.

The UEFA Cup is a second rate cup and it could potentially add an extra 8 games to the fixture list and considering our backlog at the moment I don't think we can find the time for the extra 8 games.

I'm not sure I'd be gutted, that might be a bit strong a phrase, I'd be disappointed as I think we are much better than Pana, and even though it would be good to have a run in the UEFA cup just to enhance our reputation as far as I'm concerned the league is still the most important thing to win, and that is even over the rest of the domestic trophies.

To me stopping Celtic winning three straight leagues in a row is the most important thing, it hasn't happened since Stein was in charge (I think) and I don't ever want to see it happening again.

Personally I'd like to see us go through and I don't see any reason why - when we're playing at our best - we couldn't lift the UEFA Cup.

If we were to play as well as we did in the Champions League games - Lyon aside - we're surely in with a shout.

I don't know mate. My heart says yes, but my head always says no.

We did have a succesfull Champions League campaign, but without wanting to taint it, we only won two games and both of those were against teams who were not at the top of their game.

As soon as they found a degree of form they exploited our general lack of quality: we conceded 8 goals in three games, which is actually quite poor.

I think that teams like Werder Breman, Tottenham, Bayern Munich, Villareal & even Everton would simply destroy us with pace, both at Ibrox and at their stomping ground.

Personally I'd like to see us go through and I don't see any reason why - when we're playing at our best - we couldn't lift the UEFA Cup.

If we were to play as well as we did in the Champions League games - Lyon aside - we're surely in with a shout.

We did have a succesfull Champions League campaign, but without wanting to taint it, we only won two games and both of those were against teams who were not at the top of their game.

As soon as they found a degree of form they exploited our general lack of quality: we conceded 8 goals in three games, which is actually quite poor.

I think that teams like Werder Breman, Tottenham, Bayern Munich, Villareal & even Everton would simply destroy us with pace, both at Ibrox and at their stomping ground.

So does that mean we just accept failure and don't even try to compete ? What sort of attitude is that ?

So does that mean we just accept failure and don't even try to compete ? What sort of attitude is that ?

No, your simply attempting to put words in my mouth.

I never once said that we shouldn't try and compete, if you can find the exact words that suggest I said that then please point it out to me.

The poster I quoted said that he thinks we could win it and I said that I think these teams would simply have too much for us, so I don't think we could win it.

It's not a bad attitude, it's called realism.

No, your simply attempting to put words in my mouth.

I never once said that we shouldn't try and compete, if you can find the exact words that suggest I said that then please point it out to me.

The poster I quoted said that he thinks we could win it and I said that I think these teams would simply have too much for us, so I don't think we could win it.

It's not a bad attitude, it's called realism.

I'm not trying to put any words in anyones mouth, I was simply asking a question. In a previous post you said "The UEFA Cup is a second rate cup and it could potentially add an extra 8 games to the fixture list and considering our backlog at the moment I don't think we can find the time for the extra 8 games".

Now this comment alone suggests to me that you are quite happy for us to exit the Uefa cup does it not ? Which in my interpretation means you are quite happy for us not to compete, hense us exiting the competition.

No we shouldn't solely focus on domestic trophies.

But by simply by getting to The Champions League the club recieves a massive financial boost, you only have to look at our results from yesterday to see that as well as giving us the chance to play some of the best teams in Europe.

The UEFA Cup on the other hand offers nowhere near the money that the Champions League does and I think I'm right to say that you have to get to the final before you make the same money you do by reaching the last 16 of the Champions League.

The UEFA Cup is a second rate cup and it could potentially add an extra 8 games to the fixture list and considering our backlog at the moment I don't think we can find the time for the extra 8 games.

This would be true if it wasn't likely to be Werder Bremen we faced in the next round. At this stage in the UEFA cup, teams make their own TV deals for each tie and the income from games against German teams is potentially huge. You have to be prepared to deal with some odd kick off times but it is not unusual for German TV companies to pay £2-3 million for these games.

I also would not rule out our chances of getting past Werder if we got that tie. They were very lucky to beat Braga 3-0 and both of their main strikers, Sanogo and Rosenberg, can be astonishingly poor sometimes. Over a knockout tie, I would not rate them far ahead of us, if at all.

Not interested in the UEFA Cup so not bothered if we go out. Dont think we have the squad capable of challenging in the UEFA, SPL, Scottish. A run in the UEFA could effect our SPL challenge. celtc are out of the Champions League, they will be 150% concentrated on the league now.

I'm not trying to put any words in anyones mouth, I was simply asking a question. In a previous post you said "The UEFA Cup is a second rate cup and it could potentially add an extra 8 games to the fixture list and considering our backlog at the moment I don't think we can find the time for the extra 8 games".

Now this comment alone suggests to me that you are quite happy for us to exit the Uefa cup does it not ? Which in my interpretation means you are quite happy for us not to compete, hense us exiting the competition.

I don't want us to go out, I just think we should be putting more emphasis on the league at this stage of the season.

However if we decide we want a good UEFA Cup run then I think we should be looking to use the squad to it's full potential: players like Buffel, Gow, Naimsith, Novo and even Boyd can all come in and do equally as good a job as some of our more regular starters.

I actually hope we get through tonight, as there is a chance to play a team who are really a Champions League side in the next round.

As I have already said I think Werder Breman would be too good for us over two legs, but it would be nice to get one more glamour tie against a big club.

i just shake my head, if you support rangers you want to win every game as second best is unacceptable. there are thousands of our fans who have never seen rangers win a european trophy, and might never see it and what i say is, if we could win it this year it will be far better than winning the title, but then again maybe this is a new age rangers fans mentality.

of course the SPL title is the priority this season, but i'd still be gutted if we went out of the uefa-cup - i want us to win every game and do well in every competition we're in and i really can't understand how some fans don't seem to be bothered at all if our team should lose against panathinaikos.....so you only support the team in the SPL and the CL and don't care about how we do in less prestigous competitions like the uefa-cup? :rolleyes:

As I said earlier on and I'll say it in a different way (well part of it anyway), it's a Catch 22 situation, yes all fans want Rangers to win every single game they play in, and this season our form hasn't been too bad, only 6 losses in 40 matches (three of them in the CL), but as far as I'm concerned the league should be the most important trophy for us, we can't let Celtic win it for a third season in a row, yes it would be nice to win a European Trophy, I was only two when we won one so too young to remember, but winning the league is paramount over everything else.

i just shake my head, if you support rangers you want to win every game as second best is unacceptable. there are thousands of our fans who have never seen rangers win a european trophy, and might never see it and what i say is, if we could win it this year it will be far better than winning the title, but then again maybe this is a new age rangers fans mentality.

I think there could easily be a season when winning the UEFA Cup would be better than winning the league, however I just don't think that this season is the best season for it to happen for a number of reasons

At this moment in time we don't have the squad to really make an impact on Europe and I suspect that for the next two or three years we still wont be strong enough to get to the last 16 of the Champions League and we will have to settle for the UEFA Cup after Christams. However by regularly winning the league and gaining that cash windfall that the Champions League gaurantees then we will continue to move forwad as the money can be put towards gradually improve the squad to a level where we can possibly compete for League, the UEFA Cup and then hopefully for the latter stages of the Champions League.

We need to win the league this season to stop Celtic getting 3 in a row and also to gaurantee 10 million odd from the Champions League while the league runner up has to face a potentially difficult qualifier that they could easily lose, which in turn would mean more money for the league winners.