Will Walters Faith in Players Hurt Us?

Approximately a year a go today I posted a topic on hear bemoaning Walter Smith's tactics prior to the Osasuna game at Ibrox. We had gone on a small run of games scraping wins playing players no one thought should be playing, but Walter had faith in them and kept on playing them as they were playing reasonably well. I predicted we would lose as Walter never changes winning tactics to suit the team we are playing and we went on to put on one of the worst performances I have ever seen at Ibrox. I just get the same feeling this time around. Walter is going to stick with players like Broadfoot and Dailly and play the same tactics he has played all year. The problem now is Werder will know our tactics and will adapt their team, which we will most certainly not do. Walter has proved me wrong a lot lately and I hope he does so again, however I can see him being simplistic again and playing the same old tactics, and players, despite the opposition and it could cost us dear.

Approximately a year a go today I posted a topic on hear bemoaning Walter Smith's tactics prior to the Osasuna game at Ibrox. We had gone on a small run of games scraping wins playing players no one thought should be playing, but Walter had faith in them and kept on playing them as they were playing reasonably well. I predicted we would lose as Walter never changes winning tactics to suit the team we are playing and we went on to put on one of the worst performances I have ever seen at Ibrox. I just get the same feeling this time around. Walter is going to stick with players like Broadfoot and Dailly and play the same tactics he has played all year. The problem now is Werder will know our tactics and will adapt their team, which we will most certainly not do. Walter has proved me wrong a lot lately and I hope he does so again, however I can see him being simplistic again and playing the same old tactics, and players, despite the opposition and it could cost us dear.

Walter knows Bremen will adopt a new tactic on Thursday to break down our defensive wall...I guess the wings will be put to more use by Bremen

Em, I think Broadfoot has done ok overall though maybe isn't the answer and Dailly has been great but the worry for me is Walt's faith in Lee and Charlie. The latter two may come back to bite us in the arse, maybe not with Charlie if he keeps up the form of last Thursday.

I do your see your point though as tactically, it seems as Walter can be a little too coy at times when arguably not needed

I can't fault Walter's tactics overall at this point. The bottom line is, his tactics have taken quite an average bunch of players 4 points clear in the league, 3rd spot in a cruel champs league group many thought we'd finish bottom in, CIS Cup final, Scottish cup quarter final, and we're 2-0 up against one of the top sides in europe for a place in the quarters of the UEFA.

I think it's time people stopped being so negative about his, eh, so called negative tactics. We are where we are largely because of Walter's tactics.

I myself have been saying all season, ffs, please stop playing McCulloch or Adam wide in a 4-5-1........but you know what, it's been working, and our best performances and results have come when he's done that (Lyon 3-0, Celtic 3-0, Hearts 4-0, Bremen 2-0), so who am I to mump and moan about it ?

Bremen are a quality side, they average around 3 goals a game at home in the German league. If they beat us, it will probably be because they play to their capabilities this time around, and there will be no shame in that. I hope we go through, but if we don't, we just keep our eye on the prize, namely the SPL title, and I certainly won't be bashing Walter.

The fans have been a lot more wrong this year than Walter has. From tactics, to signing the likes of Weir and Dailly, to blind faith of Boyd, to booing Cousin.......I don't know where we'd be if Walter listened to the support more often. But I do know where we are now.......top of the league and still in 3 cups. That's enough for me to give the guy a break, even in those moments where he does things I don't necessarily agree with.

Yes I have to agree with Scotbear although CA and LM drive me nuts too. CA has played well recently, but LM does nothing for me and I hope JCD is fit for Thursday.

Walter has things going strong just now - we will see what he comes up with.

I can't fault Walter's tactics overall at this point. The bottom line is, his tactics have taken quite an average bunch of players 4 points clear in the league, 3rd spot in a cruel champs league group many thought we'd finish bottom in, CIS Cup final, Scottish cup quarter final, and we're 2-0 up against one of the top sides in europe for a place in the quarters of the UEFA.

I think it's time people stopped being so negative about his, eh, so called negative tactics. We are where we are largely because of Walter's tactics.

I myself have been saying all season, ffs, please stop playing McCulloch or Adam wide in a 4-5-1........but you know what, it's been working, and our best performances and results have come when he's done that (Lyon 3-0, Celtic 3-0, Hearts 4-0, Bremen 2-0), so who am I to mump and moan about it ?

Bremen are a quality side, they average around 3 goals a game at home in the German league. If they beat us, it will probably be because they play to their capabilities this time around, and there will be no shame in that. I hope we go through, but if we don't, we just keep our eye on the prize, namely the SPL title, and I certainly won't be bashing Walter.

The fans have been a lot more wrong this year than Walter has. From tactics, to signing the likes of Weir and Dailly, to blind faith of Boyd, to booing Cousin.......I don't know where we'd be if Walter listened to the support more often. But I do know where we are now.......top of the league and still in 3 cups. That's enough for me to give the guy a break, even in those moments where he does things I don't necessarily agree with.

always good to read your posts SB (tu)

i agree.

ive said time and time again what on earth is walter playing at :unsure: ?

but time and time again i get proved wrong.

Best manager in scotland. hes bringing the title home and if that means playing football that isnt world class or lighting up the league but ill take that to wipe the smirks of celtic fans faces and next season i can see bringing in new faces and putting a different style of team.

he was hear to steady the ship and hes done that now hes setting sail on a new era at Rangers.

Bring it on!

In Walter we trust. To question his ability to choose the correct formation, tactics etc. after how successfully he set us out for the first leg (playing the two holding midfielders for example), is a bituncalled for. We have a right to be slightly worried because we know that Werder are a very very good side, but we have only conceded 4 goals in 14 games and so you could say that defending, keeping it tight, not giving anything away etc. is what we are BEST at at the present time. We will go through, i'm sure of it.

:rangers:

When will people realise we can only play to our strenghts and therefore will occasionally be found lacking in several positions with this current squad, but never the less he has done a remarkable job with limited resources and little money in a very short time.

WS should only be judge when his tenure as manager is over and not as it now appears on a weekly bases even if we only collect one trophy this season it is still an improvement on last and should be warmly applauded, but here`s hoping.

"In short you can only pish with the cock you`ve go" !