Striker Crisis for Thursday!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On Clyde tonight there saying McCulloch is out with a thigh strain!

So thats Cousin,McCulloch and JCD doubtful things are not looking good :unsure:

It'll be fine, we don't have to score, just not concede. Which we never looked like doing at Ibrox. Give Novo or Boyd the chance, probably go for Novo as he can't play at the weekend and swap him for Boyd at about 65 minute mark.

:bouncy:

Either Novo or Naismith for me. Two players who like the ball into feet. Naldo and Mertesacker are pretty poor on the ground.

Even if McCulloch was fit then he should not be played in that role. I wouldn't even bother risking Darcheville, we need him for the CIS and league.

I'd probably give Novo the nod ahead of Naismith then Boyd.

no preference for me in the lone striker position , we have only lost in barcelona and stuttgart , we have played with different personnel in other games and got the results needed, not a crisis as far as i am concerned

On Clyde tonight there saying McCulloch is out with a thigh strain!

So thats Cousin,McCulloch and JCD doubtful things are not looking good :unsure:

It'll be fine, we don't have to score, just not concede. Which we never looked like doing at Ibrox. Give Novo or Boyd the chance, probably go for Novo as he can't play at the weekend and swap him for Boyd at about 65 minute mark.

:bouncy:

It doesnt make the slightest bit of difference that we dont need to score.

We need a striker who can take the pressure off the defense and allow them to get out at crucial times in the game. If the ball just keeps on coming back we are in for a long night.

Boyd and McCulloch should not see ANY action against Bremen, unless it is a time wasting exersize/we are behind in the tie and need a goal. They are not what Rangers need and we cant afford to carry passengers.

JCD has a chance of being fit and I'd be willing to take the gamble on him

With Cousin and Darcheville out, Novo is the only player I'd have any confidence in stepping into the lone striker role at this level.

He's not ideal, his touch can be eratic.......but he'll put pressure on their back 4 all night and crucially he's got the space to run in behind. And I'm certain he'll get loads of space to run into as they'll have to push up and go all out attack from the start to make back the 2 goal deficit.

If Boyd or McCulloch starts, I'll be gutted. It's simply not the game for them (and I'm not a fan of either anyway). As for Naismith, lets be honest, he's not yet fully found his feet at domestic level for us, so I doubt he'll be deemed capable of leading the line in a tough european tie.

As for Naismith, lets be honest, he's not yet fully found his feet at domestic level for us, so I doubt he'll be deemed capable of leading the line in a tough european tie

That's not his fault. It can't be easy for him, one minute he's on the left, then he's dropped for a few. The next he's on the right and puts in a cracking performance only to be dropped for the next few. He was poor on Sunday tho and look' like he lacks confidence. Maybe starting him up front will give him a boost he needs. The chance to play your part in a European game. I think overall Naismith has done a very good job and he is going to be a very important player for years to come.

Novo upfront on his own against those two centre backs would be an absoulte mis-match, and I expect us to be under alot pressure and at times were going to have to play the long high ball to release pressure and the last thing our defence need is for the ball to come right back at them cos Novo is about 2ft tall and their centre backs are like Basketball players. Thats why if I was Walter I would have to put Boyd upfront, although he can't hold the ball up for shit he will still challenge for the ball in the air, which give defenders more time for a breather and for midfielders to support Boydy. Then with about 10-15 minutes to go, if were still in it I'd through a Novo or a Naismith to strecth thier defence and maybe hold the ball in the corners.

Novo upfront on his own against those two centre backs would be an absoulte mis-match, and I expect us to be under alot pressure and at times were going to have to play the long high ball to release pressure and the last thing our defence need is for the ball to come right back at them cos Novo is about 2ft tall and their centre backs are like Basketball players. Thats why if I was Walter I would have to put Boyd upfront, although he can't hold the ball up for shit he will still challenge for the ball in the air, which give defenders more time for a breather and for midfielders to support Boydy. Then with about 10-15 minutes to go, if were still in it I'd through a Novo or a Naismith to strecth thier defence and maybe hold the ball in the corners.

We were under pressure sometimes at home and we didn't just punt the ball up the park. We passed it about well. Boyd wont chase or harry, he wont drop off to pick up a ball, he'll never win a ball in the air all night. He wont hurt their defence, has no pace and he can't play the lone role.

I think if we play the same formation, take out Cousin and replace him with Novo then we have a team. Even if the likes of Broadfoot, Weir just punt the ball then they can punt it down the channels as you know Novo will chase everything.

We were under pressure sometimes at home and we didn't just punt the ball up the park. We passed it about well. Boyd wont chase or harry, he wont drop off to pick up a ball, he'll never win a ball in the air all night. He wont hurt their defence, has no pace and he can't play the lone role.

I think if we play the same formation, take out Cousin and replace him with Novo then we have a team. Even if the likes of Broadfoot, Weir just punt the ball then they can punt it down the channels as you know Novo will chase everything.

We play Boyd upfront and we will be lucky to get out of our half.

Bremen will push the defense up to the half way line and squeeze the game in our half. Diego will start to get the ball in advanced areas and we will be in trouble. We need either someone who can hold up the ball or someone with pace upfront. Playing someone who can do neither and relys on others to creat chances is just suicide.

We play Boyd upfront and we will be lucky to get out of our half.

Bremen will push the defense up to the half way line and squeeze the game in our half. Diego will start to get the ball in advanced areas and we will be in trouble. We need either someone who can hold up the ball or someone with pace upfront. Playing someone who can do neither and relys on others to creat chances is just suicide.

boyd played in greece and we got a positive result - no problem for me if he plays , seems to be a problem for a lot of others in the forum though