Pubs on Sunday

Anyone know what the pubs on Victoria Road are like these days? Used to go out there before games at Hampden but just stuck to City Centre for the last few years. Heard that some had gone a bit mhanky??

Cheers.

Pop through to Pollokshaws Rd and head for The New Regent.

You'll be welcome there...

Anyone know what the pubs on Victoria Road are like these days? Used to go out there before games at Hampden but just stuck to City Centre for the last few years. Heard that some had gone a bit mhanky??

Cheers.

Will bear that in mind Manti. Cheers

ps enjoy Bremen.

Cheers.

Very Mhanky they have went, Head for Shawlands Cross, Georgic, Corona, Bay Horse, Granary. The Ivory is also Bluenose friendly cause it's owned by a Bluenose. :sherlock:

I'll be in one of the above ;)

PS - When your in Vicky Road you don't know whether your in Bengal or Donegal ! :sherlock:

Cheers.

Very Mhanky they have went, Head for Shawlands Cross, Georgic, Corona, Bay Horse, Granary. The Ivory is also Bluenose friendly cause it's owned by a Bluenose. :sherlock:

(tu) mate.

rangers pub wise the new regent is the only one

mind you, you could always try McNeils :craphead:

I'm sure we used to use a pub beside there many moons ago. Was McNeils not a Rangers pub previously, not sure??

dont know, it was certinaly owned by billy mcneil at one stage

theres one beside it that was formally o'donnells, cannae mind what its called now

shawlands does have loads of bars/pubs etc, all within a reasonable walking distance of hampden

agenda

church on the hill (formally buddha)

ivory

the shed

corona

granary

bay horse

waverly tea rooms

beir hall

cell

jam

georgic

the on battlefield road area theres

the mission

mount florida arms (i think)

clockwork

I'm sure we used to use a pub beside there many moons ago. Was McNeils not a Rangers pub previously, not sure??

theres one beside it that was formally o'donnells, cannae mind what its called now

Was there not a Victoria Bar at one time, think we used that one.

theres one called victoria arms apparently on this site

a kinda tarten army "where to drink near hampden site"

http://www.netleyabbeytartanarmy.net/glasgowpubs.htm

Due to the vagaries of public transport in Glasgow, more and more fans are wisely choosing to sup their last pints (often preceded by a few, mind!) closer to the ground. I have looked at three different areas for this guide:

* Victoria Road - far and away the most popular area

* Pollokshaws Road - close to Vicky Road, but slightly further away

* Other areas - this is an amalgamation of 4 pubs that form a semi-circle around the east of Hampden. I've not been in any of them, but it's still worth letting you know about them.

Pub map of area near Hampden

Back to top of page

Victoria Road

A very popular drinking area for the Tartan Army, and around 15-20 minutes walk from Hampden (see directions from Queens Park station). Again, I can’t vouch for all of these, but the following are pretty popular:

The Pandora, corner of Victoria Road and Calder Street – Ridiculously popular pub, a big favourite with the users of the TAMB. Get here early or don’t get in (bouncers enforce a one-out, one-in policy). Expect a fantastic atmosphere, Tartan Army karaoke, singing and camaraderie– the prices is long waits at the bar, obstacle courses to the toilets, and the toilets themselves… think the Somme!

Victoria Arms, corner of Victoria Road and Allison Street – Used as an overflow for The Pandora, however it has been known to shut it’s doors to all but regulars. If you do get in, it’s very friendly, and very reasonably-priced, with a big screen, lots of seats and good service.

O’Donnells (or similar!), formerly Nickie Tams, corner of Victoria Road and Torrisdale Street – the closest pub to Queens Park station. I haven’t been in since the refurbishment, but before then it was a pretty standard southside boozer, most likely to appeal to those of a green and white hooped persuasion. There are TA-friendlier pubs in the area.

McNeills, Torrisdale Sreet - (next to Queens Park Station), come out of Queens Park and turn right before doubling back on yourself – McNeills is a two-storey grey building, and was formerly owned by ex-Celtic and Scotland captain Billy McNeill. This was a great place to drink in the past, although again Rangers fans may not feel quite as comfortable, although reports reach me that it has lost some of it’s allure since Billy sold the place on.

The Queens Park Café, Victoria Road – tea and scones? Not quite - situated at the end of Vicky Road closest to Hampden, the QPC is not a café but a large, multi-roomed boozer. Once the pub of choice, then fell out of favour – now it seems to fill up quite quickly, and relies on plastic glasses to satisfy the packed clientele. Not a bad place, but not the best either.

Back to top of page

Pollokshaws Road

If drinking here, allow extra time, as it’s a good 25-minute walk (either via Langside Avenue or Vicky Road).

Allison Arms, Pollokshaws Road – a Real Ale favourite, this traditional pub is a great boozer, but has fallen out of favour with the Tartan Army over the past few years. I like it because of the name!

Heraghty’s, Pollokshaws Road – an enigmatic single-roomed pub with a ladder in the Gents, and a Ladies toilet added as an afterthought. Great Guinness, if you can find the bar staff!

Shawlands Cross – at least two pubs here (but I can’t remember the names!), and a nightclub (The Shed), that isn’t generally much good for a lunchtime drink. Popular with buses from Ayrshire.

Budda Southside, Langside Avenue – the walk from Shawlands Cross down Langside Avenue will bring you up to a large pub on the right hand side called Budda Southside. Never been in, but there were plenty of Tartan Army using it last time and it has a reputation for drinks deals and a warm welcome for Scottish fans.

Its still there, not been in it for years but sways to the dark side now ! Probably be alright before the game, but the others mentioned are better boozers ! And McNeill still owns and works at times in said boozer. Formerly known as the Madeira :sherlock:

Cheers.

Thats where we are going pre match (tu)

Shawlands has plenty of bars, but whatever you do stay CLEAR OF THE SHED. Dundee Utd supporters have hired it out for the day, apparently 800 of them heading along there, in the evening times the other week.

Best bet for a beer is the granary, the weatherspoons a bit further down pollokshaws, or probably church on the hill which is a frequent haunt for scotland fans making their way to hampen.

I will be hitting the granary as it has a fine selection of brews, then make the dreaded walk past queens park and past all the utd support..

Going to Annie Millers then head over to hampden :rangers:

Yep :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

If ye cannae dae the bouncy yer a tim... :bouncy:

Watch me go :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: