Are Celtic fans allowed to sing IRA songs without being condemned?

Friedmarsbar

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The likes of Lawwell claim that the IRA songs from the Celtic support are "political" and not sectarian. It makes it sound as if singing in praise of a bunch of terrorists closely associated with one half of a religious divide is on a par with canvassing for the Liberal Democrats!

It is one thing not condoning the signing if IRA songs and being pro-active in suppressing them among the Celtic support. Liewell has repeatedly told us that Celtic are a "political club" but that IRA songs are not acceptable. Yet for the past two years while Rangers have made great strides in eradicating contentious songs amongst our support, Celtic have basically stood still and harboured the Bigots amongst theirs.

It doesn't help matters when they are put under no pressure at all from the mhedia or the Scottish Football authorities, Unless we get a level playing field and certain sections of the Celtic support are taken to task over their continued support for outlawed terrorist organisations then the problem will not improve and indeed may get progressively worse.

even their own have admitted it.

Munki Bhoy Posted: Mar 23 2008, 08:53 PM

What game were you at? The game I was at, Caldwell made an arse of it so many times the fans started chanting Balde's name. The majority of the fans in the corner in the second half were so bored they spent most of the last half hour taking the piss out of the Gretna goalkeeper and did little to "support the Celtic team". That is, of course, when they were not singing every rebel song they could remember that had hardly been heard this season - I thought we were trying to do away with them? The rest of them may as well have been asleep. The football on show was certainly working sending them that way.

Do you think we'd get away with it if at the game on saturday they start singing IRA songs, we respond with some No Surrender or Derrys Walls, and if we get caught say it was self defence? :ninja:

In all fairness my good fellow Bear , No Surrender/Derry's Walls (which to my mind are one and the same) have been sung many a time since the 'crackdown' and we have not been dug up for it by the SFA / UEFA / Wee Offended Tim on the street.

Seemingly this isn't on their list of "Offensive Songs & Chants" , so we're ok on that front !

Do you think we'd get away with it if at the game on saturday they start singing IRA songs, we respond with some No Surrender or Derrys Walls, and if we get caught say it was self defence? :ninja:

In all fairness my good fellow Bear , No Surrender/Derry's Walls (which to my mind are one and the same) have been sung many a time since the 'crackdown' and we have not been dug up for it by the SFA / UEFA / Wee Offended Tim on the street.

Seemingly this isn't on their list of "Offensive Songs & Chants" , so we're ok on that front !

Apparently they don't even have a list. They make it up as they go along.

My reference to the List was tongue-in-cheek Oleg and you are quite correct. The powers that be could at any time deem anything offensive and hey presto , another little chip off the old block.

My reference to the List was tongue-in-cheek Oleg and you are quite correct. The powers that be could at any time deem anything offensive and hey presto , another little chip off the old block.

Personally, I think they bottled it after they warned us for Inverness, then got loads of complaints against several other clubs.

So, as usual, we get battered then the issue gets dropped.

I still can't believe the stuff they get away with.

I'm not a big fan of BJK but I hope it winds the bastards up much more. They deserve that.

I'll be straight up honest here Oleg and say that the BJK chant gets me in stitches every time. Perhaps not a laughing matter , but the whole thing was started online and it just shows the power of the internet these days :bouncy:

Well BCLoyal, my good fellow bear brethren, I see what you mean with them being the same, although the No Surrender I know, has different lyrics to the chorus of Derrys Walls, only just though:). To be honest, I don't think most of the SFA would know if we were singing an 'offensive' song or a 'football' song, and even if they did, they condemn us for singing 'Billys Boys' which granted is not a football song in its original state, however a slight change of lyrics could easily make it a 'football' song, as many english clubs have adopted it using their club and rival club in place of some of the heavier lyrics. In my opinion if we did this, which we probably were doing most of the time anyway, the SFA would still say it is bigotist etc. even though surely you can't be racist against a club:rolleyes:. My apologies I went on a bit there, continue:P.

I'll be straight up honest here Oleg and say that the BJK chant gets me in stitches every time. Perhaps not a laughing matter , but the whole thing was started online and it just shows the power of the internet these days :bouncy:

I know what you mean.

I saw them on the telly a while back and they play the tune for BJK as part of another song. I found it funny that it's ruined that song for them.

I also hope they get drawn against Besiktas:

besiktas_c.gif

Well BCLoyal, my good fellow bear brethren, I see what you mean with them being the same, although the No Surrender I know, has different lyrics to the chorus of Derrys Walls, only just though:). To be honest, I don't think most of the SFA would know if we were singing an 'offensive' song or a 'football' song, and even if they did, they condemn us for singing 'Billys Boys' which granted is not a football song in its original state, however a slight change of lyrics could easily make it a 'football' song, as many english clubs have adopted it using their club and rival club in place of some of the heavier lyrics. In my opinion if we did this, which we probably were doing most of the time anyway, the SFA would still say it is bigotist etc. even though surely you can't be racist against a club:rolleyes:. My apologies I went on a bit there, continue:P.

You raise a highly salient point Ulsterbear.

One of the directives stipulated by UEFA was a complete ban on ANY form of the song "Billy Boys". I take that to mean , that any chant with the same structure and melody is prohibited for Rangers fans irrespective of the lyrics.

However , jump across to Killie , Hearts , Dundee etc and you will find the same chant with differing lyrics. They are not hauled infront of the coals for this , so am I to believe that we are not allowed to even edit out any clearly offensive elements within the song to suit?

EG

Hullo Hullo

We Are the Rangers boys

Hullo Hullo

You'll know us by our noise

We're ready for the Celtic and the Killie and the Hibs

For we are the Glasgow Rangers Boys

(Utter gash I know!)

But surely we could modify this?

I agree with you, and your point raises another question.

The uefa, SFA etc. have outlawed rangers supporters singing it in any form, I believe we all know most likely why, because Rangers FC is affiliated with protestants, and protestants support the UDA over the IRA. I have deep roots in the UDA, my father and grandfather just to name 2 were very big in it, anyway back to my point. They have outlawed it because they obviously think if any Gers fan sings it in any sense, they are supporting Ulster and the UDA etc. If this is the case surely this shows how short sighted, ignorant and biased the SFA, Uefa etc. are because come on, how many people who go to Ibrox nowadays will have even heard of the UDA, and especially support it in any way shape or form? I accept there is a select number, how many I have no idea but surely in this day and age, where the fans come to Ibrox to watch some good football, have some banter and get into the great atmosphere the place generates, especially at old firm games, singing Billys Boys with lyrics directly tied to the home and away sides, or the club in general, it should if not be allowed, then tolerated to a degree? I agree that if the whole Rangers crowd were singing it in all its original glory, then something should be done, but if they were singing something along the lines of BCloyals song, where is the harm? There is not one mention of anything remotely to do with bigotry or rebel forces etc. so there should not be a problem.

I agree with you, and your point raises another question.

The uefa, SFA etc. have outlawed rangers supporters singing it in any form, I believe we all know most likely why, because Rangers FC is affiliated with protestants, and protestants support the UDA over the IRA. I have deep roots in the UDA, my father and grandfather just to name 2 were very big in it, anyway back to my point. They have outlawed it because they obviously think if any Gers fan sings it in any sense, they are supporting Ulster and the UDA etc. If this is the case surely this shows how short sighted, ignorant and biased the SFA, Uefa etc. are because come on, how many people who go to Ibrox nowadays will have even heard of the UDA, and especially support it in any way shape or form? I accept there is a select number, how many I have no idea but surely in this day and age, where the fans come to Ibrox to watch some good football, have some banter and get into the great atmosphere the place generates, especially at old firm games, singing Billys Boys with lyrics directly tied to the home and away sides, or the club in general, it should if not be allowed, then tolerated to a degree? I agree that if the whole Rangers crowd were singing it in all its original glory, then something should be done, but if they were singing something along the lines of BCloyals song, where is the harm? There is not one mention of anything remotely to do with bigotry or rebel forces etc. so there should not be a problem.

Its all to do with completely unimaginitive thought processes and heavy handed action Ulsterbear. The classic case of going after an ant with a rocket launcher.

I suppose it's worth remembering that galloway said on his radio show that reid taught the scottish labour party the ira song book, so it's not as if they can argue that this filth doesn't go right to the top of their club.

The bottom line is they get away with it because people like liewell fight their corner, meanwhile we continue with the dignified silence that only makes our enemies stronger and more bold :angry2:

Hullo Hullo

We Are the Rangers boys

Hullo Hullo

You'll know us by our noise

We're ready for the Celtic and the Killie and the Hibs

For we are the Glasgow Rangers Boys

(Utter gash I know!)

But surely we could modify this?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is the point mate. Surely it cant be the tune which they deem unacceptable, it must be the words.

The Hellas fans sing to the same tune:

Hello hello

Siamo gialloblu

"Hello hello we are the yellow blue" whats wrong with that mate.

Do you find Oh ah Samaras to be offensive ? I know what the wind up is and I know it might bite to the bone but its not offensive is it, but we all know what it means eh ?

It all comes down to the club not making representations against the UEFA edict even for clarification regarding lyrics.

However, I believe that it was not done following our failed attempt to stop supporters singing add ons to simply the best after it was brought back for the second time.

It is believed that many fans simply still cannot be trusted to safeguard the image and future of the club. At Hampden last week and even at Ibrox to a lesser extent recently we have witnessed that this is still a problem.

It all comes down to the club not making representations against the UEFA edict even for clarification regarding lyrics.

However, I believe that it was not done following our failed attempt to stop supporters singing add ons to simply the best after it was brought back for the second time.

It is believed that many fans simply still cannot be trusted to safeguard the image and future of the club. At Hampden last week and even at Ibrox to a lesser extent recently we have witnessed that this is still a problem.

What happenened at Hampden mate?

The old add ons were still to the fore. Several threads after the game mentioned it and it was going on where I was in the North Stand.

The old add ons were still to the fore. Several threads after the game mentioned it and it was going on where I was in the North Stand.

Really? Thats the first i've heard of it, and believe me, i've been trawling the darkside this past week looking for their bitter twisted slant on our recent success. Not a word about any "add-ons" there either.

I'm not saying it never went on, but it certainly wasn't audible as far as i could hear.

Hugh Keevins actually heard the Celtic fans and commented on it.

By the half-hour mark, the fans - who had kept up a questionable repertoire of songs that tarnished Celtic's name, including one about their own chairman John Reid - grew restless as the realisation dawned that their team was struggling to break down a side teetering on the brink of closure.