Walter having a real go in tommorows papers at LIEwell

Thermopylae

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Walter Smith yesterday lambasted both the Scottish Premier League and Peter Lawwell, the Celtic chief executive, over the rescheduling of the final league games of the season, which may force Rangers to play four games in eight days.

While Smith criticised the SPL’s recent decision over the fixtures as “unfairâ€, he openly lampooned Lawwell for his much-quoted “sporting integrity†statement, in which the chief executive argued against extending the season in order to help Rangers to fulfil all their remaining matches.

If Rangers do not reach the Uefa Cup final, the SPL has still decreed that no outstanding games should be played in the free week between May 18, when the Clydesdale Bank Premier League is due to finish, and May 24, the day of the Scottish Cup final.

“Why could we not have played a game in that week? What the SPL has done, instead, is force us to play four games in a week,†Smith said yesterday. “Is it right to force a club to do that? I don’t think it is, regardless of which club it is. From Rangers’ point of view, the league have opted out of making a decision which would have helped a club which is helping to lift the profile of Scottish football [in the Uefa Cup].

“We then have this ‘sporting integrity’ situation, which actually gave me a good laugh. Peter Lawwell seems to be the head of the sporting integrity committee — both its chairman and chief spokesman. Peter would be better coming out and saying he wants Rangers to have to play four games in a week because it suits his team and helps their quest to retain the championship — he should just be honest about it.

“If it was the other way about, I would be hoping that Celtic had to play four games in a week, so fine. But Peter is as well being honest about it, instead of hiding behind what he is calling ‘sporting integrity’.â€

Smith appeared to hint heavily that he believed the SPL had been overly-influenced, if not simply manipulated, by Celtic in their revision of the fixture list.

“What bothers me most is that the SPL have assented to every request that has been made by Celtic, especially these two [Old FIrm] games that we’ve had at the moment,†Smith added. “It is no coincidence that we are playing one of our biggest league games of the season when they had a fair idea that we would have two very important {Uefa Cup] semi-finals.â€

Second time around at Ibrox, and now 60-years-old, Walter Smith is pretty much a placid old cove. Not a lot gets to him these days, let alone causes him to lose his rag.

Yesterday, however, on the eve of the final Old Firm league game at Celtic Park, Smith quietly let rip over what he sees as unfair obstacles being put in Rangers’ way.

Tomorrow’s Old Firm encounter has also now been given a heightened edge, given Smith’s lampooning yesterday of Peter Lawwell, the Celtic chief executive, as “head of the sporting integrity committeeâ€, a reference to Lawwell’s recent statement about a possible extension to the league season. The Rangers manager even said he keeps “thinking about a Monty Python sketch†whenever he reflects on Lawwell’s outburst. If the two men come face to face at Celtic Park, an interesting exchange may occur.

Smith is offended by the notion that, as decreed by the Scottish Premier League board last week, the league must finish by May 18 if Rangers do not reach the Uefa Cup final, which could mean Smith’s team playing four games in nine days.

If Rangers do reach the Uefa Cup final in Manchester on May 14, the scenario is even worse: Smith’s side will have to play four matches in eight days between May 17 and May 24, including going to play Aberdeen at Pittodrie on Thursday, May 22, 48 hours before the Scottish Cup final against Queen of the South at Hampden Park.

Yesterday, Smith’s pique at all this was obvious and, while acknowledging that it has been an extremely complicated season, he still blamed the SPL for what he viewed as its nondecision in extending the season to allow breathing space for Rangers.

“Normally managers don’t get involved in this sort of thing, but in this instance, this could have a direct effect on my own job,†Smith said. “I think Rangers could have been given a dispensation to extend the season, even if for just one game, to be played between the end of the league season and the cup final, which would have meant us avoiding having to play four games in a week.

“Given that this has been an extraordinary season, why could they not have given us an extra two or three days in which to finish the league season, which would have then avoided the four-games-in-a-week scenario? I don’t see why one solution could not have been for us to play our game against Motherwell on the Tuesday or Wednesday after the final league game of the season [on May 18].â€

Asked if the end-of-the-season schedule will be “manageable†for Rangers, Smith almost shrugged his shoulders as if resigned to his fate, but would not let the SPL off the hook.

“We will have to manage it,†he said. “But if the SPL think this is a fair way to treat you, then fine. But as I say, it can impact upon my job, and how people look upon that job. Is it really fair to ask anyone to play four games in a week? I just think we’ve been treated unfairly.â€

In a troubling time for Rangers as they go to Celtic Park tomorrow, one ray of light for Smith has been Neil Alexander, his reserve goalkeeper, whose form has been excellent while deputising for the injured Allan McGregor. Alexander made two agile penalty saves in the shoot-out in last week’s Scottish Cup semi-final against St Johnstone, and he revealed again against Fiorentina at Ibrox on Thursday that he provides an impressive presence in goal.

Yesterday, the goalkeeper spoke intriguingly of his surprise and delight at seeing his Rangers career take off, after years of steady though hardly headline-making soldiering with Cardiff City and Ipswich Town.

“When I signed I fully expected to be sat on the bench as back-up to Allan for the rest of the season,†Alexander, who came to Rangers during the January window, said. “But unfortunately Allan got injured as he’s been tremendous this season — one of Rangers’ key men.

“I came up here to play in big games and I’ve been put in sooner than I anticipated, but I look forward to these matches. Hopefully, I play better in the bigger games and if you don’t want to be involved in them, you shouldn’t be a footballer.

“It was also fantastic to make my European debut \ at Ibrox. It was probably the most important clean sheet of my career and I hope I can do just as well in the second leg. Sunday, however, comes first and it is another massive game.â€

The thought of a Uefa Cup final next month is almost too much to take in for a man who has ploughed the furrows of the Coca-Cola Championship.

“I loved my six years at Cardiff but when we discussed a new deal, we couldn’t agree,†Alexander said. “I wanted to stay, but I was in dispute with Cardiff before I went to Ipswich, and then the chance to come to Rangers was just too much.

“If you’d told me I’d be playing in a Uefa Cup semi-final this season I’d have laughed it off. It is just incredible, and coming to Rangers and playing in Europe is something that I never thought I’d have in my career.â€

Yet such has been McGregor’s form this season — both on and off the field — that Alexander fully expects to take a back seat again when Rangers’ No 1 goalkeeper returns. “I fully expect to go back to being the back-up,†he said. “Allan’s had a tremendous season and deserves to play in finals.â€

Not Walters place, imo he has over stepped the mark and showen a slight lack of respect and maturity.

Nonsense.

It's about time someone at the club took the fight on properly.

And Walter was that man? (Playing devil's advocate)

This is brilliant stuff from Walter:

Second time around at Ibrox, and now 60-years-old, Walter Smith is pretty much a placid old cove. Not a lot gets to him these days, let alone causes him to lose his rag.

Yesterday, however, on the eve of the final Old Firm league game at Celtic Park, Smith quietly let rip over what he sees as unfair obstacles being put in Rangers’ way.

Tomorrow’s Old Firm encounter has also now been given a heightened edge, given Smith’s lampooning yesterday of Peter Lawwell, the Celtic chief executive, as “head of the sporting integrity committeeâ€, a reference to Lawwell’s recent statement about a possible extension to the league season. The Rangers manager even said he keeps “thinking about a Monty Python sketch†whenever he reflects on Lawwell’s outburst. If the two men come face to face at Celtic Park, an interesting exchange may occur.

Smith is offended by the notion that, as decreed by the Scottish Premier League board last week, the league must finish by May 18 if Rangers do not reach the Uefa Cup final, which could mean Smith’s team playing four games in nine days.

If Rangers do reach the Uefa Cup final in Manchester on May 14, the scenario is even worse: Smith’s side will have to play four matches in eight days between May 17 and May 24, including going to play Aberdeen at Pittodrie on Thursday, May 22, 48 hours before the Scottish Cup final against Queen of the South at Hampden Park.

Yesterday, Smith’s pique at all this was obvious and, while acknowledging that it has been an extremely complicated season, he still blamed the SPL for what he viewed as its nondecision in extending the season to allow breathing space for Rangers.

“Normally managers don’t get involved in this sort of thing, but in this instance, this could have a direct effect on my own job,†Smith said. “I think Rangers could have been given a dispensation to extend the season, even if for just one game, to be played between the end of the league season and the cup final, which would have meant us avoiding having to play four games in a week.

“Given that this has been an extraordinary season, why could they not have given us an extra two or three days in which to finish the league season, which would have then avoided the four-games-in-a-week scenario? I don’t see why one solution could not have been for us to play our game against Motherwell on the Tuesday or Wednesday after the final league game of the season [on May 18].â€

Asked if the end-of-the-season schedule will be “manageable†for Rangers, Smith almost shrugged his shoulders as if resigned to his fate, but would not let the SPL off the hook.

“We will have to manage it,†he said. “But if the SPL think this is a fair way to treat you, then fine. But as I say, it can impact upon my job, and how people look upon that job. Is it really fair to ask anyone to play four games in a week? I just think we’ve been treated unfairly.â€

In a troubling time for Rangers as they go to Celtic Park tomorrow, one ray of light for Smith has been Neil Alexander, his reserve goalkeeper, whose form has been excellent while deputising for the injured Allan McGregor. Alexander made two agile penalty saves in the shoot-out in last week’s Scottish Cup semi-final against St Johnstone, and he revealed again against Fiorentina at Ibrox on Thursday that he provides an impressive presence in goal.

Yesterday, the goalkeeper spoke intriguingly of his surprise and delight at seeing his Rangers career take off, after years of steady though hardly headline-making soldiering with Cardiff City and Ipswich Town.

“When I signed I fully expected to be sat on the bench as back-up to Allan for the rest of the season,†Alexander, who came to Rangers during the January window, said. “But unfortunately Allan got injured as he’s been tremendous this season — one of Rangers’ key men.

“I came up here to play in big games and I’ve been put in sooner than I anticipated, but I look forward to these matches. Hopefully, I play better in the bigger games and if you don’t want to be involved in them, you shouldn’t be a footballer.

“It was also fantastic to make my European debut \ at Ibrox. It was probably the most important clean sheet of my career and I hope I can do just as well in the second leg. Sunday, however, comes first and it is another massive game.â€

The thought of a Uefa Cup final next month is almost too much to take in for a man who has ploughed the furrows of the Coca-Cola Championship.

“I loved my six years at Cardiff but when we discussed a new deal, we couldn’t agree,†Alexander said. “I wanted to stay, but I was in dispute with Cardiff before I went to Ipswich, and then the chance to come to Rangers was just too much.

“If you’d told me I’d be playing in a Uefa Cup semi-final this season I’d have laughed it off. It is just incredible, and coming to Rangers and playing in Europe is something that I never thought I’d have in my career.â€

Yet such has been McGregor’s form this season — both on and off the field — that Alexander fully expects to take a back seat again when Rangers’ No 1 goalkeeper returns. “I fully expect to go back to being the back-up,†he said. “Allan’s had a tremendous season and deserves to play in finals.â€

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle3818959.ece

Walter Smith yesterday lambasted both the Scottish Premier League and Peter Lawwell, the Celtic chief executive, over the rescheduling of the final league games of the season, which may force Rangers to play four games in eight days.

While Smith criticised the SPL’s recent decision over the fixtures as “unfairâ€, he openly lampooned Lawwell for his much-quoted “sporting integrity†statement, in which the chief executive argued against extending the season in order to help Rangers to fulfil all their remaining matches.

If Rangers do not reach the Uefa Cup final, the SPL has still decreed that no outstanding games should be played in the free week between May 18, when the Clydesdale Bank Premier League is due to finish, and May 24, the day of the Scottish Cup final.

“Why could we not have played a game in that week? What the SPL has done, instead, is force us to play four games in a week,†Smith said yesterday. “Is it right to force a club to do that? I don’t think it is, regardless of which club it is. From Rangers’ point of view, the league have opted out of making a decision which would have helped a club which is helping to lift the profile of Scottish football [in the Uefa Cup].

“We then have this ‘sporting integrity’ situation, which actually gave me a good laugh. Peter Lawwell seems to be the head of the sporting integrity committee — both its chairman and chief spokesman. Peter would be better coming out and saying he wants Rangers to have to play four games in a week because it suits his team and helps their quest to retain the championship — he should just be honest about it.

“If it was the other way about, I would be hoping that Celtic had to play four games in a week, so fine. But Peter is as well being honest about it, instead of hiding behind what he is calling ‘sporting integrity’.â€

Smith appeared to hint heavily that he believed the SPL had been overly-influenced, if not simply manipulated, by Celtic in their revision of the fixture list.

“What bothers me most is that the SPL have assented to every request that has been made by Celtic, especially these two [Old FIrm] games that we’ve had at the moment,†Smith added. “It is no coincidence that we are playing one of our biggest league games of the season when they had a fair idea that we would have two very important {Uefa Cup] semi-finals.â€

I agree in some ways he should not be but I'm glad he's not adhering to the less aggressive strategy that some people at the club (and some fans) would prefer...

Like he says these decisions could cost him his job so why shouldn't he comment?

Who do you think should be saying this stuff, Boab?

I agree in some ways he should not be but I'm glad he's not adhering to the less aggressive strategy that some people at the club (and some fans) would prefer...

Like he says these decisions could cost him his job so why shouldn't he comment?

Who do you think should be saying this stuff, Boab?

we all know who should be saying this stuff, but the man in question doesn't have much to say about anything of substance

Walter is perfectly entitled to lampoon Peter Lawwell as "head of the sporting integrity committee". Even Graham Spiers would describe that as "delicious".

I'm really delighted Walter's put the boot in, and I think he did so without going over the line. It was Liewell who started the "sporting integrity" nonsense, which was basically a blatant attempt to say an extension would be unfair, whilst implying that one team, funnily enough, the one beating his club to the title, playing 8 games in a week is just dandy. He's a lying twisted bas&&&rd. He embodies all that twisted PR propaganda of the rhepublicans and the sleaze of the high-powered business world. He's a deceitful, smarmy c u n _ !

Not Walters place, imo he has over stepped the mark and showen a slight lack of respect and maturity.

hmm :rolleyes:

what?

i don't think the team manager should be getting into that side of things, having a go at chairmen/ chief exec etc

leave the suits to the suits. let the managers deal with on the field stuff.