Davie MIGHT play on Thursday!

Boab

Weir Boost For Gers

by Lindsay Herron

RANGERS have been given a huge boost ahead of the massive Euro clash with Fiorentina with the news that Davie Weir could make it.

The veteran defender looked to have no chance after limping out of last Sunday's Old Firm derby with a groin strain.

Indeed, manager Walter Smith had resigned himself to the fact that Weir would be missing from the second leg of the UEFA Cup semi-final with the Italians.

However, Weir has made a terriific recovery and is now in the frame to play.

Smith said at Glasgow Airport today: "It is now possible that Davie will play.

"When he came off on Sunday we thought he would miss the Fiorentina match but he has made a great recovery and there is now a chance that he will make it.

"It's obviously a boost for us because he and Carlos Cuellar - along with Allan McGregor behind them - have been key players for us this season."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1301595,00.html

If he does play I hope he is fit enough, would be a disaster if he had to go off in the 1st half by making it worse!!! We need him for the rest of the league campaign as well!

In another article it says he wont make it tomorrow but may make it Sunday. IMO if there is any risk to his season he should not be played in italy - We cant afford to have him break down, make the injury worse and lose him from the run-in.

In another article it says he wont make it tomorrow but may make it Sunday. IMO if there is any risk to his season he should not be played in italy - We cant afford to have him break down, make the injury worse and lose him from the run-in.

In the sun it says he definitely WILL start against Fiorentina.. fkn journo's <cr>

In the sun it says he definitely WILL start against Fiorentina.. fkn journo's <cr>

Ignore me. The sun was referring to Stevie Davis.. :blush:

Would love to see the big man make it, but not if they're rushing him in and he's likely to make the strain worse. If there's any doubt, sit him out, as it will end up making us more vulnerable if his injury slows him down in any way.

He definately makes a difference to our backline alongside Cuellar.

I hope he makes it too. Every player would want to play in a Euro semi-final, and Big Davie certianly won't get many more chances.

The worry for me is that he knows at his age he won't play in another Euro semi, so that may make him more inclined to take a reckless gamble on his fitness. We still have a league to win after all and another few days rest may make all the difference to his injury. Also being a tall player he will be more prone to this sort of injury, so for me it has to be safety first and the decision should be taken out of his hands.