Divided Support

minstral

I'm not boasting about anything, if I was I'd tell you about it surely. I said there are people that can vouch for me, I've provided admin with the info and it's up to them what they do with it. That is all. Stop trying to make it out as if I came on here with the sole purpose of boasting about stuff I've done - clearly, I'm not doing that. That is why it's being kept private and that is why I PM'd admin.

Admin?

To be quite frank, if there was a Tim on here, I would think they would post reinforcing all the negative stereotypes of bears - bad language, stirring up bother etc

So tell me Mant, Minst, Jim

Who can vouch for you?

Well aside from the fact that loads of folk on here can, if you want to suggest we are dhims, feel free.

You are the only one who will look like a fool.

BTW I don't think I have accused you of being one, but I'm losing track, have I?

No, you've only accused me about once a page

Really?

On a 24 page thread?

Must look back over it when I get a chance. In my mind I had you in the 'stupid but saveable' category (just an expression, not an insult).

Witchinder General is a taxing job, particularly with no administrative support.

Stupid but saveable? Ok, tell me, where is that from - oh got it - Billy Connolly! I knew it was in there somewhere

I actually dont mind your insults as much, as you are kinda sly with it - you never say anything outright, you just allude to it in a sleekit manner lol

Takes a bit of thought you know?

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant even be bothered scrolling through 20 odd pages of bickering,

As for out protestant heritage it is something we should be extremely proud of nobody will try change it.

Ah whats the point :craphead:

Basically thats it mate! And your 100% right!

I will glorify the protestant heritage my club has as long as i can and there are a few on here to think people like us are stupid and dinosaurs for "not facing change" fukin joke!

Again, the hatred is getting the better of you - Ive not said one time we should be ashamed of the protestant links of the past - not once - what I do say is that in the last oh, 15-20 years celebrating a protestant history turned into an atmosphere of anti-catholicism - all I want is for that to be turned on its head and for the club to move forward, adjusting to the times but at the same time not totally forgetting the past

I really dont think that is unreasonable - and I really do not understand how that gets mis-read/misrepresented on here continually

But surely that can be covered simply by the fact that most of the events we celebrate are victories over catholics....or looking at its from the other side i dont see how we could celebrate our protestant history without there being some form of anti-catholicism...

Do you not know the history of the Glorious Revolution or the Revolution of 1688??

Yes of course we celebrate victory over the Catholics - and we sing songs to reflect that - I would just rather our songs about that focussed on our faith in a positive manner rather than constantly harking on negative side of theirs - the add ons for example - the whole stuff about players crossing themselves on the pitch, the booing of Catholic players on opposite teams etc - that sort of stuff I wish we could leave out -

Just a personal thing - I think if we did this right then it could be a really positive thing and turn the heat on Celtic

The victories over rcs thing, you do know that is a ridiculous over simplification don't you?

And who are these rc players who get booed (presumably because they are rcs)?

Yes of course we celebrate victory over the Catholics - and we sing songs to reflect that - I would just rather our songs about that focussed on our faith in a positive manner rather than constantly harking on negative side of theirs - the add ons for example - the whole stuff about players crossing themselves on the pitch, the booing of Catholic players on opposite teams etc - that sort of stuff I wish we could leave out -

Just a personal thing - I think if we did this right then it could be a really positive thing and turn the heat on Celtic

Your right it is a personal thing as are the add ons IMO...

I would happily sing FTP and the IRA to anyone and if they asked me why im pretty confident i could give a just answer to support it as could many of the people who say it IMO!

I understand some of what you mean but you are suggesting that singing FTP and the IRA is anti-catholicism, England and other teams sign fuck the IRA...im pretty sure that has nothing to do with protestants or catholics??

If you were to meet me however, and come round meet my friends and talk your pish with my mates - you'd get a decent conversation and a proper debate. Not fisticuffs.

Aye right, The Brazen Heed's a shite hole....

Thats beneath you Davy

But not you.

No because I am above all this pesh - its a gorgeous day - 96 degrees, come back in to this nonsense - and its the same 4 posters as per usual who are unable to make a single post without leaving a dig - every single post.

back on track do you agree our club would not be as big without our large protestant support from decade after decade.

Ok, this will be the third time Ive answered this in this very thread

Nobody knows the answer to this - we can only guess - but my take on it is this

We made our legacy of winning long before we were known as a Protestant club - if our core of fans down the decades had been more aethiest or catholic in nature, would that have changed the winning? Would that have changed the legacy? Would we have won less with a support core made up of fans of a different faith?

Listen, it is all guess work - my guess is that we would still be a huge club today - I know you disagree with that, as I said, its a guess - so how about we respect each others opinion on that?

well i think that you are wrong our crowds were not that big and we did not have the legacy that you were on about. our first title was round about 1890-91 then went 7 seasons without another title, then won 4 in a row.

Thats cool

When would you say we became knows as a Protestant club? I read it somewhere, (might have been on here) that the mid 20s was when it really kicked in?

If you were to meet me however, and come round meet my friends and talk your pish with my mates - you'd get a decent conversation and a proper debate. Not fisticuffs.

Thats beneath you Davy

But not you.

No because I am above all this pesh - its a gorgeous day - 96 degrees, come back in to this nonsense - and its the same 4 posters as per usual who are unable to make a single post without leaving a dig - every single post.

back on track do you agree our club would not be as big without our large protestant support from decade after decade.

We made our legacy of winning long before we were known as a Protestant club - if our core of fans down the decades had been more aethiest or catholic in nature, would that have changed the winning? Would that have changed the legacy? Would we have won less with a support core made up of fans of a different faith?

Listen, it is all guess work - my guess is that we would still be a huge club today - I know you disagree with that, as I said, its a guess - so how about we respect each others opinion on that?

Say what you want but i can nearly guarantee we wouldnt be as big a club as we are today!

As far back as my family goes i had papas and uncles working in the shipyards in Glasgow and thousands of them chose to go to Ibrox because of the clubs protestant ties!!

Wow, an actual post to answer

Well yeah, it is guesswork - lets face it, in the west of Scotland there were 2 clubs - Rangers, and Ayr Utd - ok, Celtic

So I wonder if we became the protestant club simply because the main rivals were the Catholic club - you know?

Anyway, thanks for at least posting an actual post to debate, lets see if we can keep this going

I think there are more than one thing to take into account..

They way that Celtic FC were formed, where the clubs were formed/played and the religious beliefs of the people in and around that area...

I dont think there was ever a conscious decision to form a protestant supported football club, i think the stature of the club and people who supported it merged into one and made it the club it is today!!

I would agree with that (theres a phrase you dont hear every day) I think we kind of evolved into that identity over time

Stupid but saveable? Ok, tell me, where is that from - oh got it - Billy Connolly! I knew it was in there somewhere

I actually dont mind your insults as much, as you are kinda sly with it - you never say anything outright, you just allude to it in a sleekit manner lol

Aye it was indeed BC, when he was partick fan.

So are you saying I didn't accuse but 'alluded'?

Who's being sleekit now?

I cant even be bothered scrolling through 20 odd pages of bickering,

As for out protestant heritage it is something we should be extremely proud of nobody will try change it.

Ah whats the point :craphead:

Basically thats it mate! And your 100% right!

I will glorify the protestant heritage my club has as long as i can and there are a few on here to think people like us are stupid and dinosaurs for "not facing change" fukin joke!

Again, the hatred is getting the better of you - Ive not said one time we should be ashamed of the protestant links of the past - not once - what I do say is that in the last oh, 15-20 years celebrating a protestant history turned into an atmosphere of anti-catholicism - all I want is for that to be turned on its head and for the club to move forward, adjusting to the times but at the same time not totally forgetting the past

I really dont think that is unreasonable - and I really do not understand how that gets mis-read/misrepresented on here continually

But surely that can be covered simply by the fact that most of the events we celebrate are victories over catholics....or looking at its from the other side i dont see how we could celebrate our protestant history without there being some form of anti-catholicism...

Do you not know the history of the Glorious Revolution or the Revolution of 1688??

The victories over rcs thing, you do know that is a ridiculous over simplification don't you?

And who are these rc players who get booed (presumably because they are rcs)?

The one that immediately comes to mind is Noel Hunt - I know some will say he gets booed because he is a wee shit. But I am sure if he was a wee protestant shit he would not get booed, as the SPL is full of them lol

I try to simplify as much as possible - the less I type the less typos I have to correct

Thats beneath you Davy

But not you.

at one time rangers protestant heritage would not alow them to play on the sabbath.

well i think that you are wrong our crowds were not that big and we did not have the legacy that you were on about. our first title was round about 1890-91 then went 7 seasons without another title, then won 4 in a row.

Thats cool

When would you say we became knows as a Protestant club? I read it somewhere, (might have been on here) that the mid 20s was when it really kicked in?

I would happily sing FTP and the IRA to anyone and if they asked me why im pretty confident i could give a just answer to support it as could many of the people who say it IMO!

I understand some of what you mean but you are suggesting that singing FTP and the IRA is anti-catholicism, England and other teams sign fuck the IRA...im pretty sure that has nothing to do with protestants or catholics??

Del - I thik it is safe to draw a line between FTP and Feck the IRA -

One is an organization guilty for unspeakable death and misery over a long time

And the other is the IRA lol

No, seriously, there is a huge difference for me between the two

Personally, I would rather we just sing the songs, the traditional songs and show tolerance to other faiths and all that jazz

as I said, if we do this properly as a support together, then the heat will really be on Celtic

but why would you sing FTP and the IRA at a football ground as opposed to say a Work Office or WHSmith. Would you shout it if you were invited down to watch the Wimbeldon tennis final or if you were waiting in line for a ticket for a train?

I'm just curious why some poeple feel the need to shout these things when watching a football game? I normally shout "Charlie Adam, you're a fat useless cunt" as that is related to the actual event I am watching at the time.

Personally I can't stand the IRA...but I have never felt the urge to scream about it at a sporting event as I would just come across as a typical stupid/drunk football fan. I do however debate the events in Northern Ireland with my friends over a pint as that we i'm engaged in a thoughtful and engaging conversation.

Aye it was indeed BC, when he was partick fan.

So are you saying I didn't accuse but 'alluded'?

Who's being sleekit now?

I but learn from the best, master

That's a good question and there is little evidence (that I know of).

Primrose's appointment in 1888 suggests that the club was at least sympathetic to Protestantism and Unionism by then, and of course he became Chairman, iirc, in 1912. The same year as carson formed the original UVF, Irish Home Rule being the issue at the time.

Of course our 4 Founding fathers were all church going Protestants and 2 were of an Ulster Scots background.

But there is little or nothing to pinpoint a date, if the Board records were public I reckon we would have a clearer picture.

Here a wee quote i found by the fish in one of the old threads and it sums these rhats up big time :rangers:

And just tae put youz in the picture again...I have never ever met any of youz in the flesh who reject Billy Boys and our old traditions

Youz are silent in pubs clubs and the grounds...yeez dont exist

(tu) Just about sums them up. Whoever these chanty wrassslers are they ain't Rangers men, funny they've all turned up at the one time except for a couple of sleepers who have floated about on the peripherals throwing their oars in now and again ? Suppose they make the close season that bit more interesting apart from that they are small potatoes ! :sherlock:

Thats beneath you Davy

But not you.

at one time rangers protestant heritage would not alow them to play on the sabbath.

Thats cool

Sorry Minst - should there have been an answer in there?

but why would you sing FTP and the IRA at a football ground as opposed to say a Work Office or WHSmith. Would you shout it if you were invited down to watch the Wimbeldon tennis final or if you were waiting in line for a ticket for a train?

I'm just curious why some poeple feel the need to shout these things when watching a football game? I normally shout "Charlie Adam, your a fat useless cunt" as that is related to the actual event I am watching at the time.

Personally I regularly shout "Charlie Adam, your a fat useless cunt" be it at 'Wimbeldon' or at work.

That's a good question and there is little evidence (that I know of).

Primrose's appointment in 1888 suggests that the club was at least sympathetic to Protestantism and Unionism by then, and of course he became Chairman, iirc, in 1912. The same year as carson formed the original UVF, Irish Home Rule being the issue at the time.

Of course our 4 Founding fathers were all church going Protestants and 2 were of an Ulster Scots background.

But there is little or nothing to pinpoint a date, if the Board records were public I reckon we would have a clearer picture.

Ok, fair enough - what we need is someone who was around back then

Minstral?

(JOKE!)

Minstral?

(JOKE!)

Cheeky young pup!

minstral and BD gave me and Jimenez a lift over back in 1872!

I take it you youngsters know what a lift over was?

Del - I thik it is safe to draw a line between FTP and Feck the IRA -

One is an organization guilty for unspeakable death and misery over a long time

And the other is the IRA lol

No, seriously, there is a huge difference for me between the two

Personally, I would rather we just sing the songs, the traditional songs and show tolerance to other faiths and all that jazz

as I said, if we do this properly as a support together, then the heat will really be on Celtic

You laughed there but it is true, a lot of people quite rightly hound the IRA for killing innocent people while the Vatican sentence millions to death each year!

I really dont want to get into the whole, they do this so we should do that carry on but it angers me that people like yourself would be happy for Rangers to show tolerance and lessen there ties with beliefs and traditions that made the club what it is today when Celtic make no attempt to do the same.

As a club we are very close to being severely punished for signing songs deemed unsuitable and when we do the papers and media are quick enough to point it out, yet i counted 6 occasions at least this season where pro IRA chants, anti-Britain and the monarchy and not a word gets mentioned...

I may be straying off point a little but this kind of thing actively creates division amongst our fans and ends up with people actually supporting the pc brigade which in turn leads to the bosses at the club bending to their will...it all has a knock on effect!

Minstral?

(JOKE!)

Cheeky young pup!

:lol:

Minstral?

(JOKE!)

Cheeky young pup!

Is that the same as a leg over?

Minstral?

(JOKE!)

Cheeky young pup!

if you were tall it was murder getting a lift over. :lol:

Minstral?

(JOKE!)

Cheeky young pup!

if you were tall it was murder getting a lift over. :lol:

Is it the same as a punty??

Minstral?

(JOKE!)

Cheeky young pup!

A leg over with young boys is more their style.