Sunderland to move for Cuellar £7M

FlippinEck

Cuellar the latest to interest boss Keane

By Paul Fraser

SUNDERLAND are ready to challenge Newcastle United for the signature of Rangers defender Carlos Cuellar.

Manager Roy Keane still wants to secure the services of Jonny Evans from Manchester United this summer, but Sir Alex Ferguson is reluctant to let the Northern Irishman leave.

And that has forced Keane into a rethink, particularly after it emerged another of his leading defensive targets, Richard Dunne, looks certain to stay with Manchester City following the appointment of Mark Hughes.

The Sunderland boss personally checked out Cuellar towards the end of last season and is now preparing to make a move for the £8m-rated centre-back.

But Keane faces competition for the former Osasuna man, with Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan known to regard the 26-year-old highly.

Cuellar has been in discussions with Rangers over signing a new contract and those close to him have insisted that he is willing to commit his long-term future to Ibrox.

But there remains a feeling in Glasgow that if the club's valuation is met during the course of the summer the Gers would seriously consider selling.

The asking price, with Rangers unwilling to consider a sale unless an offer somewhere near to the £9m Tottenham paid for Alan Hutton in January arrives, is certainly within reach of Sunderland

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/display.v..._boss_keane.php

Teamtalk says they will make him their highest paid player in the history of the club

If he's got any kind of ambition he'll tell them to GTF, wheres he gonna go with Newcastle or Sunderland?

Oh thats right King Kev's back and they're gonna win the league this time! :rolleyes:

He must stay.

Getting to the UEFA Cup final probably convinced Carlos that the club can to at least some extent get somewhere, I am sure he will be determined to stay for at least another season and win the league! He was so happy with the trophies we won it was fantastic and im sure he will want more, something he wont get at newcastle or sunderland

i still think , if we recieved an offer of £10m , he would be sold

I think he should be valued at around £15m , in todays market

Just tell anyone that shows an interest in Carlos, "it's £20 million just to talk to him", after all it's what other clubs do.

If Cuellar was playing in the EPL right now, with say Bolton, he would be priced at £12m minimum. They pay stupid money for players based in England yet offer peanuts for players based outside it. They tell us it is the best league in the world - paying the highest transfer fees/wages doesn't make it the best league IMO. If we let Cuellar go this year - regardless of the price - it will totally piss of the fans and players. I don't believe we will sell him and have faith that he will stay untill he at least wins a league championship medal.

Despite the success Hutton has had down south, I'm sure he would have been more than willing to see 07/08 season out and aim for championship and to be a part of the UEFA Cup run.

To be succesful you dont sell your Best player . and leave Weir to partner .. Broadfoot ? doh

But I think if he played well down in England hed have a better chance of getting a game for Spain ?

Guest Andypendek

15m as a kick off, if anyone offers 12 I'd take it, but I'd be crying for days and days afterwards. But in the end, we can't afford to turn that money down unless we get an owner who is willing to dig very, very deep into his own pockets. Murray, however much I don't mind him, isn't going to do that. So we better face reality - bifg offer, big man gone.

GTF keane. King Carlos is going NOWHERE. I am confident he will still be here at the end of the transfer window. Cant see him wanting to go to a mid table english side with no chance of european football.