Fairweather Followers

Not even back in the early 80s do I remember such a unified cry of anguish from Rangers supporters.And, back then, the answer of tens of thousands was to GTF away from the club resulting in shockingly low attendances. Holmes/Souness/Murray turned that around with remarkable speed and, most importantly, returned consistently high attendances.

Will all the hate-filled neg-heads who now have the internets to vent their spleen follow their 80s fore-bearers and slink away like snaw aff a dyke? I hope not - we'll see soon enough.

For those who will turn their back - feel free list your feeble excuses below as to why you will desert The Rangers when they need our support as much as the club ever did.

I'm not interested unless we're top of the league.

If we dont win this season, i'm supporting ra hoops next year.

Who's with me? I think i can count on BLUEDIGNITY for support here. Anyone else?

Not even back in the early 80s do I remember such a unified cry of anguish from Rangers supporters.And, back then, the answer of tens of thousands was to GTF away from the club resulting in shockingly low attendances. Holmes/Souness/Murray turned that around with remarkable speed and, most importantly, returned consistently high attendances.

Will all the hate-filled neg-heads who now have the internets to vent their spleen follow their 80s fore-bearers and slink away like snaw aff a dyke? I hope not - we'll see soon enough.

For those who will turn their back - feel free list your feeble excuses below as to why you will desert The Rangers when they need our support as much as the club ever did.

I will stay positive Moses, I know where youre coming from. I know the early 80's, a very bad time for us, attendances as you say were shocking and many 'fans' lost heart. I never did.

Football is like life, it has its ups and downs and you get good and bad. Maybe the 9iar spoilt younger bears ? I dont know. What I do know is that being negative helps no-one, and rubs off on the players, so I would like to see a more positive outlook from everyone, regardless of who has signed, spending policy etc. (tu)

My first memories of rangers are the poor times in the 80's but I have and always will support them. My problem is the pish we are spun every close season and the lack of any activity in making the team more attractive to watch. i really dont think Smith has much of a clue. I would love to see all areas of the team strenthenged but the midfield has to be priority - even before Fergusons injury. The money wasted on wages for the likes of shit like Broadfoot,Dailly,Papac,Hemdani,Couisin,Burke to name but a few along with signing the likes of Kenny fucking miller who is garbage gone have gone a long way to making the midfield more creative and competitive however it looks like we will have to rely on the likes of Adam,Hemdani second rate full backs and wasters like Dailly and McCulloch to plug the woeful gaps

It is so frustrating I could fucking scream

We are getting taken for mugs

Thinking back, watching Rangers in the early 80s was a fecken hoot. Football was dire at times, but supported by ' fitba people' ...nae posers or PC wankers ..going behind your back. You knew it would get better on the pitch some day...couldnt get any worse. You felt part of RFC....and met the same faces week in week out all over the country.....point is, there was a way forward back then......not so sure these days.

We had the highest average attendances in the league in several seasons in the early 80s, not much different from our attendances in the 70s. It's mainly so many folk having a season ticket that has led to much higher average attendances over a long period, both for ourselves and Celtic.

Guest The Brown Brogue

Maybe in that case the financial implications of so many fans staying away from the club was the very catalyst that forced change within the club.

If supporters are not happy with the way things are going at their club, sometimes the only way their voice can be heard is by hitting the club in the pocket, because I certainly don't think either Smith or Murray are pissing their pants at what gets said on internet forums or radio phone-ins.

Maybe in that case the financial implications of so many fans staying away from the club was the very catalyst that forced change within the club.

If supporters are not happy with the way things are going at their club, sometimes the only way their voice can be heard is by hitting the club in the pocket, because I certainly don't think either Smith or Murray are pissing their pants at what gets said on internet forums or radio phone-ins.

i was talking to my mate today about season tickets and he said hes not had one for 3 years and hes always got a ticket for home games

last season if we didnt have all these people with season books with the entertainment factor taken into account i think that there would have been games with 20,000 crowds

just like the eighties

I will stay positive Moses, I know where youre coming from. I know the early 80's, a very bad time for us, attendances as you say were shocking and many 'fans' lost heart. I never did.

Football is like life, it has its ups and downs and you get good and bad. Maybe the 9iar spoilt younger bears ? I dont know. What I do know is that being negative helps no-one, and rubs off on the players, so I would like to see a more positive outlook from everyone, regardless of who has signed, spending policy etc. (tu)

Common sense may yet prevail guys! ;)

IMO we all have a personal choice to make.........each individual can choose to be positive or negative. I, like (possibly) most others, see lots of positives and a few negatives. Others choose to see lots of negatives and a few positives. And a few choose to see nothing positive in anything the club has done in the last 18 months.

I will never give up on Rangers, and as usual I'll be trying to get to as many games, both home and away, as I possibly can.

:rangers:

those small crowds in the 80s sent a message to the board that we would not stand for the level of performance that was coming from the club and the team

It was that message that led to change

Can you deny that some genuine progress was made last season? I should think not.

Yes, our performances were often lifeless and devoid of creativity, sometimes painfully so. Not even the most positive posters on RM can say otherwise. But Smith has done what he set out to do at the beginning of last season by making us a much more difficult team to beat, and more besides. Therefore why shouldn't he be given our wholehearted backing in the next phase of rebuilding the team? Surely he's at least earned the chance, considering the complete shambles that he inherited from the PLG episode?

I firmly believe we are headed in the right direction, but I'm not naive enough to think the process isn't going to be traumatic and at times very frustrating.

I too remember the bad old days of the 80's coop, we got along way to go before its that bad again.

we should just grin and bear it the now and stop being so negative - we're not that bad YET.

"Holmes/Souness/Murray"

I think you should take SMD out of that, the Ibrox was full more often than not before he bought us

(tu) well well said, it didnt seem as depressing un the 80s, even though it was far worse

Guest therabbitt

If we all only supported Rangers on fair weather days - the stadium and these forums would be empty most of the time.

Weather sucks