Rangers to Sign Maurice Edu Next Week

YankatOxford

I'm seeing stories that he is signed subject to Work Permit, others saying we are just interested in him, what is the actual facts here?

Im the exact same. I think the previous poster is getting mixed up as every report ive read says he's just waiting on a work permit.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure what to read into that or how credible the site is. I haven't seen anything in the papers over here suggesting that we have already signed him, just that we are after him and will probably table a bid.

The Evening Times says he's waiting on a work permit mate.

SportTimes can also reveal that American rising star Maurice Edu will arrive from Toronto FC in a deal worth around £2.5m - subject to a work permit being granted. The powerful 22-year-old anchorman, capped six times by the USA and just back from the Olympics in Beijing, is on stand-by to jet to Glasgow as soon as formalities are completed.

Rangers are reported to have agreed terms with Major League Soccer side Toronto for star Maurice Edu.

The American international has just returned home from the Beijing Olympics, but it is claimed he will quickly be on the plane again to fly to Glasgow to finalise a move.

Reports in Canada suggest a fee of around £2.5million has been agreed between The Gers and MLS - who hold all player registrations in their league.

Edu joined Toronto through the American SuperDraft system in 2007 and after an outstanding first year he was named Rookie of the Year.

The 22-year-old, who has six senior American caps to his name, is set to pen a deal subject to a work permit being granted.

Should Edu seal his move to Ibrox he will join fellow countryman DaMarcus Beasley at the club.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_3990903,00.html

Sky Sports has got the story as well (tu)

Rumour is its all depending on him getting a work permit or something

Players from across the pond will always take longer to get signed because of immigration and paperwotk etc but it shouldnt be a problem snce he is an american citizen and we are an ally to them

"We had asked Maurice (Johnston) if he thought there were any players in the American league whom he thought would do well, and he recommended two or three players. We had a look at them over last season but this is the first time that the MLS are happy to let him go.

We are in the final stages of tying everything up, but we still have to apply for the work permit. He is only 22 and has played the last number of internationals, so I'd hope we will get him all right. And he's played in the Olympics."

We've basically got our man!

Work permit shouldn't be a problem. As Walter said he is only 22 but has played in the recent USA internationals and has competed in the olympics. Also Americans applying to work in Britain tend to get their work permits granted without many problems.

Work permit shouldn't be a problem. As Walter said he is only 22 but has played in the recent USA internationals and has competed in the olympics. Also Americans applying to work in Britain tend to get their work permits granted without many problems.

Considering Koki Mizuno got one on appeal with 4 caps it should be no problem.

Edu has more caps and a far better pedigree.

Oh aye, didnt he get a work permit after a panel of 4, that included 2 ex celtic players voted that he should get the permit lol.

Oh aye, didnt he get a work permit after a panel of 4, that included 2 ex celtic players voted that he should get the permit lol.

True, Gerry Collins and Pat Nevin were two of the four i believe. :rolleyes:

lot of money for a young boy - smith must see something in him...bit hard for most of us to comment given most wouldnt have seen him play but i am sure he can do a good job for us - for a guy who plays defensive midfielder, he scores a few goals...more than thommo anyway...at least smith is investing in a few younger players for the future...as long as he is not played outta position in CB!!

If Mizuno can get one then so should Edu!

Looking forward to seeing this guy. Heard very good things about him and the few times I have seen him, he's looked a player. A proper football player.

True, Gerry Collins and Pat Nevin were two of the four i believe. :rolleyes:

Aye that was it, i knew it was Pat Nevin, couldn't remember the other guy though.

Knowing our luck, if it did go to a panel, the panel would consist of Gordon Strachan, George Galloway, Neil Lennon and Aiden Mcgeady