Hargreaves says the Girodome is "best atmosphere"

J_RFC87

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6287113.stm

Hi Owen, I'm a big fan (which says a lot as I'm a Scot!). I was just wondering, what is the best atmosphere you've ever played in at club level and also at international level?

Paul McFadden, Glasgow, Scotland

No doubts - Celtic. When we played at Celtic Park for Bayern in the Champions League it was unbelievable and I think all our players said the same thing afterwards. The atmosphere was just totally unique - as I'm sure Paul knew when he asked the question! As for internationally, I would have to say the atmosphere at a World Cup is very special, a very one-off kind of thing if you know what I mean. The fans invest a certain amount of energy you couldn't ask them to in a normal league game.

I think it depends what team they [play for as etc , i've heard a few say one or the other , i know the Neville brothers singled out Ibrox for the best atmosphere they'd played in , Lee Chapman also praises it in his auto-biography after the game v Leeds.

Our factory manager is Dutch and his bro follows PSV all over Europe and he cites Ibrox as having the best atmospehere out of all the stadiums he's visited.

I'm not claiming any high ground here just pointing out items that i know , i'm sure many fans and players think the same about CP.

jadams,you'l find a lot of players that play at paradise {on a euro nite} say it has the best atmosphere! better than an old firm match i'd say! howz ur injury?

At this side, we dont call it Paradise! :lol:

Yea its almost healed, got my cast of last week but doc says i cant play till start of Feb.

Cheers for asking though (tu)

I think it depends what team they [play for as etc , i've heard a few say one or the other , i know the Neville brothers singled out Ibrox for the best atmosphere they'd played in , Lee Chapman also praises it in his auto-biography after the game v Leeds.

Our factory manager is Dutch and his bro follows PSV all over Europe and he cites Ibrox as having the best atmospehere out of all the stadiums he's visited.

I'm not claiming any high ground here just pointing out items that i know , i'm sure many fans and players think the same about CP.

Yea i agree.

Mind the Celtic v Man Utd game? The atmosphere sounded ok at best up until the goal, then it went to a totally different level.

Henning Berg (or was it David May?) once said he'd never heard of an atmosphere in hsi career like he did at Ibrox (when we played Stuttgart).

Goes hand in hand.

I don't believe Mr Hargreaves has sampled the best 5 star stadium in Scotland yet.

The only one in Scotland I believe (tu)

no, im sure hampden is one ;)

Yes, it is - the beggars have been trying to get Uefa to change their stance on septic park for long enough (3 STARS compared to our magnificent 5) but for some reason they keep denying them it.

Maybe it's cause every time a UEAFA official visits to do an inspection, another bit of guttering falls on his heid! :lol:

Guest greengrass

why all the interest all of a sudden and hargreaves. ... hes not the first player to come out and say about our atmosphere on Cl games etc ... and wont be the last ... henrik played at the nou camp and still said parkhead atmosphere is better ... many have done in the years worldwide players.... happens all the time .. common knowledge im afraid.

:lol: (hah)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/2197207.stm

The BBC station had held the poll of sports fans in conjunction with the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment.

And Sweeney presented his breakfast sports news from the winning venue on Friday.

The Glasgow ground that Celtic fans call Paradise took an amazing 60% of the votes, easily out-polling the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff and Lord's cricket ground in London

Celtic and Nothern Ireland midfielder Neil Lennon was on hand to give Sweeney a personal view of his beloved club's ground - both as a fan and a player.

Even before donning the famous green and white hoops, he had already fallen in love with Celtic Park after coming across on the boat from Northern Ireland to watch the matches there from the age of 12.

"Particularly on European nights, it is a fantastic experience," said the 31-year-old who previously experienced England's top grounds while playing with Leicester City.

"My first Champions League game last season was against Porto and, when they lifted up the Champions League flag, the noise was just something else.

"The hairs on the back of my neck were standing up.

60,000 people singing and lifting their scarves up. I just thought ' this is surreal'."

He also acknowledged the special emotions created by games between Celtic and often bitter Glasgow rivals Rangers.

"The atmosphere is just pure, raw aggression and just something I had never experienced before," said Lennon.

He confirmed that the stadium helped raise the team's performance.

"We were unbeaten in the Champions League at home last season and also beat Valencia here in the Uefa Cup on another great night," he said.

Fans were asked as part of the Radio Five Live poll to name what they liked best about their favourite sporting venue, from the design and facilities to the atmosphere on match days.

Celtic Park took 59.9% of the votes, 28.4% voted for the Millennium Stadium and 11.7% for Lord's.

A plaque has been presented to Celtic by CABE and Radio Five Live.

The UK's top 10 favourite sports venues in order were:

1. Celtic Park, Glasgow (Football)

2. Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (Football/ Rugby Union)

3. Lord's, London (Cricket)

4. Pride Park, Derby (Football)

5. Welford Road, Leicester (Rugby Union)

6. City of Manchester Stadium (Football/ Commonwealth Games)

7. Stadium of Light, Sunderland (Football)

8. St James' Park, Newcastle (Football)

9. Franklin's Gardens, Northampton (Rugby Union)

10. Brandywell, Derry (Football).

thats just one example, for more evidence type "celtic park best atmosphere in europe" into google and enjoy

let me guess, yes the sellik fans see there is a poll on line or otherwise another chance for them to flood the lines or systems with calls and emails. It happens regularly coz yous are such a laugh!

the facts dont lie mate

No it is a poll mate, polls do lie, they reflect the feelings of a small group of people similar to those used for elections, they cannot possibly reflect 100% of the populations feelings on a subject. As I said it was probably inundated with Sellik fans coz they are pure dead funny an that!

I don't believe Mr Hargreaves has sampled the best 5 star stadium in Scotland yet.

The only one in Scotland I believe (tu)

no, im sure hampden is one ;)

Yes, it is - the beggars have been trying to get Uefa to change their stance on septic park for long enough (3 STARS compared to our magnificent 5) but for some reason they keep denying them it.

Maybe it's cause every time a UEAFA official visits to do an inspection, another bit of guttering falls on his heid! :lol:

celtic park is a 4 star stadium

the only reason it is not a 5 is because the dressing rooms are small

and the stadium isnt within a 2 mile radius of an airport

How curious!?

Is this because all sellick players are 'dinky' like wee 'jinky' (what aboot that freak dane ye've got playing at the moment? he's about 7foot 6??? he must be doubled up in the changing room! (maybe that's how the cap'n likes em tho eh?!)

And as fer bein within 5 miles of an international airport.... check Google Maps BAWBAGS - 6.7 miles between it and the stadium!

COULD IT BE THERE ARE MORE REASONS TO YOUR STADIUM BEING INFINITELY INFERIOR TO OURS THAN YOU ARE WILLING TO ADMIT!

For example, have you checked the little boys rooms?

Guest greengrass

Ricardo losing the plot again.

getting all agitated.

WE ARE THE DOMINANT FORCE IN SCOTLAND NUMERO UNO. ESPECIALLY OF RECENT ERA.FROM THE TURN OF THE MILLENIUM to THIS VERY DAY..

Face those facts and bite the bullet...you might be back someday but then again maybe not if murray stays at the helm and keeps promising those Moonbeams " of success ..... even of recent era ... internationally we sign guys like naka etc for Marketing and exposure and Money .... ahead of your lot on so many levels atm wattie will be right up against it now tbh... playing 2nd maybe 3rd fiddle ...

not like us of old who were near out the game pish, signing diddies , like biggins etc .. left right and centre... and had no money when murray kept giving wattie money to get you titles. those days are over as far with murray as he said himself then promises funds ... he would have to leave for significant transfer changes at Ibrox then again who would buy your club ?? ....... currently we are extremely financially sound and otherwise... strenghth in depth ... as well as Capacity 2nd biggest in Britain was biggest untill man u upgraded ,,, uber glamour tie in the last 16 against meelan, wich is estimated to generated several million pounds on top of the estimated 15-16m this semester coasting the league (again) still in the scottish.......

anyway. i wont dwell too much..

ENJOY.

(willy) (header) :lol:

I think that Owen has simply seen that the E-Mailer is from Glasgow and has said Celtic Park just to please him. I bet if someone from another country asked him the same question he would say the same about one of their big teams. That is footballers for you. Honest as thieves.

Ricardo losing the plot again.

getting all agitated.

WE ARE THE DOMINANT FORCE IN SCOTLAND NUMERO UNO. ESPECIALLY OF RECENT ERA.FROM THE TURN OF THE MILLENIUM to THIS VERY DAY..

Face those facts and bite the bullet...you might be back someday but then again maybe not if murray stays at the helm and keeps promising those Moonbeams " of success ..... even of recent era ... internationally we sign guys like naka etc for Marketing and exposure and Money .... ahead of your lot on so many levels atm wattie will be right up against it now tbh... playing 2nd maybe 3rd fiddle ...

not like us of old who were near out the game pish, signing diddies , like biggins etc .. left right and centre... and had no money when murray kept giving wattie money  to get you titles. those days are over as far with murray as he said himself then promises funds ... he would have to leave for significant  transfer changes at Ibrox then again who would buy your club ?? ....... currently we are extremely financially sound and otherwise... strenghth in depth ... as well as Capacity 2nd biggest in Britain was biggest untill man u upgraded ,,, uber glamour tie in the last 16 against meelan,  wich is estimated to generated several million pounds on top of the estimated 15-16m this semester coasting the league (again) still in the scottish.......

anyway. i wont dwell too much..

ENJOY.

(willy) (header)  :lol:

well if ever there was a reason to ban a tim, then this bag of illiterate shite has to be up there in the top five fuckin reasons! what school did you go to son?

All of a sudden things start to make sense - I think in a recnt post you mentioned that you were either 18 or 22 years old (cant remember which) either way it makes no difference cos in either case it meant that AT LEAST half your life was missed whilst rangers were picking up 9 trophies in a row - which means nothing to you, cos you didnt experience it (really) but it means a hell of a lot to me COS I DID. So show some fuckin respect - cos I know what I am talking about. I lived through those great years and the NOT SO GREAT years before that. You, son, have a fuckin serious attitude problem on this board and need to accept the fact that a handful of league successes in your oh so short life amounts to naff all in the grand scheme of things.

The BBC station had held the poll of sports fans in conjunction with the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment.

And Sweeney presented his breakfast sports news from the winning venue on Friday.

The Glasgow ground that Celtic fans call Paradise took an amazing 60% of the votes, easily out-polling the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff and Lord's cricket ground in London

Celtic and Nothern Ireland midfielder Neil Lennon was on hand to give Sweeney a personal view of his beloved club's ground - both as a fan and a player.

Even before donning the famous green and white hoops, he had already fallen in love with Celtic Park after coming across on the boat from Northern Ireland to watch the matches there from the age of 12.

"Particularly on European nights, it is a fantastic experience," said the 31-year-old who previously experienced England's top grounds while playing with Leicester City.

"My first Champions League game last season was against Porto and, when they lifted up the Champions League flag, the noise was just something else.

60,000 people singing and lifting their scarves up. I just thought ' this is surreal'."

He also acknowledged the special emotions created by games between Celtic and often bitter Glasgow rivals Rangers.

"The atmosphere is just pure, raw aggression and just something I had never experienced before," said Lennon.

"We were unbeaten in the Champions League at home last season and also beat Valencia here in the Uefa Cup on another great night," he said.

Fans were asked as part of the Radio Five Live poll to name what they liked best about their favourite sporting venue, from the design and facilities to the atmosphere on match days.

Celtic Park took 59.9% of the votes, 28.4% voted for the Millennium Stadium and 11.7% for Lord's.

thats just one example, for more evidence type "celtic park best atmosphere in europe" into google and enjoy

let me guess, yes the sellik fans see there is a poll on line or otherwise another chance for them to flood the lines or systems with calls and emails. It happens regularly coz yous are such a laugh!

the facts dont lie mate

its not a fact doh

The Brandeywell made it into the top 10!! That ground barely holds 2000 people. How can it be one of the best in Britain? And the fact that the stadium of light and the city of manchester stadium are in there shows what a flawed poll it was. Both of those grounds are always empty these days!!

That's a total joke of a poll - bet it's just made up. St James' Park at no. 7??!! HAHAHA - hilarious! It has 2 good stands and 2 bloody awful ones.

As for the piggery being at #1 - (td)doh It's a 3 star cowp that was built on the cheap. They dont call it mechanodome for nuthin ye know!

Anyone else at the game the weekend after the guttering blew off the roof and hundreds of Rangers fans turned up wearing yellow hard-hats?! LMFAO!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol: