The myth that Boyd is the best finisher at the club

gronaldo

what's your point ? trying to say he aint the best finisher ??? ACTUAL GOALS scored suggests otherwise, considering he hardly got a game last season as well and still scored more than the higher success rate strikers put together.

What's my point? That someone who misses more chances than another player (another four last season actually) isn't a better finisher. Completely ridiculous thing to suggest I know...

Of course if someone takes a much larger number of shots then they'll score more goals. If Dailly had 100 shots I'm sure he could score more goals than Boyd could in 5, but that doesn't make Dailly the best finisher at the club, does it? If I throw ten darts at a dartboard and my score is higher than someone who's thrown three, am I the better darts player?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of our 3 SPL goals this season, he bagged a penalty and directly lead to Velicka's. That isn't bad.

More accurately it was indirectly; Boyd to Lafferty who put the pass across the goal and Boyd failed to connect and Velicka scored.

Stats show anything; Boyd is top goalscorer but we scored more goals in a season when Boyd had less minutes on the park.

Boyd is a penalty box striker, JCD, Cousin and Miller do not play in the penalty box area and have a poor success rate from there. Novo will score more goals through the centre but provides more assists than other forwards etc,etc

Of our 3 SPL goals this season, he bagged a penalty and directly lead to Velicka's. That isn't bad.

More accurately it was indirectly; Boyd to Lafferty who put the pass across the goal and Boyd failed to connect and Velicka scored.

His flick on to Lafferty was directly responsible in my opinion... you don't have to have the last pass to be directly responsible for something. If I pushed a man who fell into you, knocking you in front of a bus for example, that is all me... :craphead:

boyd failed to connect because he was rushing into the box after playing that great ball over to lafferty doh

he cant magically appear at the back post

His flick on to Lafferty was directly responsible in my opinion... you don't have to have the last pass to be directly responsible for something. If I pushed a man who fell into you, knocking you in front of a bus for example, that is all me... :craphead:

You conniving murdering bassa :lol:

You conniving murdering bassa :lol:

HAHAHA :unionflag:

McCoist used to miss quite a few too. As someone said, the best strikers tend to get in more shooting positions and take more shots.

Boyd obviously takes more shots, that's pretty much the point I'm making. There is little value to a missed shot - the majority of the time it's just giving possession to the opposition. You get shots that deflect out for corners and occasionally someone will score from a rebound, but this happens a much smaller percentage of the time than a pass or a cross will get to one of our players. Like I said above, shooting more often than the rest of the team and scoring a much smaller percentage of the time doesn't make him the best finisher at the club, it makes him the most wasteful.

There's a bit of truth in the opinion of both sides here. A predatory striker must get into position often and create chances. Often those attempts will be split second chances that other players would not even swing at. That's part and parcel of the role.

However, when the conversion rate is that low, it does raise real questions about who you should field when you are playing top class opposition in a tight encounter. Things may change about our team now we have some more midfield options but essentially WS was setting us to play a tight, defensive game and our poor midfield meant we created precious few chances. As such, Boyd's get in the box and look for little flicks and touches to score was always going to be a very difficult style to utilise. By contrast, in games where we had more of the ball or even in games where we were desperately throwing everything forward then Boyd's style is well suited.

IMO, prior to our latest couple of midfield signings, we had a team that created very very few quality chances and struggled to play basic passing football well. We did poorly at set pieces, we did poorly on the break away, we did poorly attacking from deep, we did poorly dominating the final third of the field and setting the pace of the game. These are all areas where Boyd is suspect or outright poor. If the rest of the team improves in these areas, then we can afford one player who is also weak in all these areas. But not until then.

I posted this in another thread, but thought it might make an interesting topic for discussion amongst those who love to quote Boyd's goalscoring record to prove how great a player he is. The Telegraph website has in depth stats for SPL players in the last three seasons and from this you can work out a player's success rate in terms of shooting. If Boyd is really the best finisher at the club then he should have the highest percentage, right? Well the numbers from last season don't show this -

Velicka = 31%

Novo = 30%

Cousin = 29%

Darcheville = 28%

Boyd = 23%

Not only is he behind the likes of Cousin and Velicka in terms of success rate, in relative terms he's a mile behind them. Shooting every time he gets the ball and scoring a much lower percentage of the time than other players in the team does not make him the best finisher at the club.

Now, I'm sure an immediate reaction to this will be something along the lines of "statistics are meaningless", but that's precisely what many people have been saying about Boyd's goalscoring record - that a far better way to judge a player is looking at what he does over 90 minutes rather than looking at numbers on a piece of paper. However, it's interesting to note that when you actually look at the statistics in depth Boyd is far from the most efficient finisher at the club.

Disagreement and abuse are welcome. :rangers:

I said something like this a short while ago, although I didn't have the stats to back it up. He is the best goalscorer because he keeps getting into the right positions, NOT because he is the best finisher.

Nonsence...Boyd were on the bench most of the time,coming for 15-20 mins in maybe 1/2 of the games he get...Cousin might be a best striker but he is fuckin` bastard and i don`t want to see him with the Rangers shirt again (tu)

I like boyd, but im not a huge fan of his (if that makes sence). Remove all penaltys, and poached goals and find out how many goals he has then. Wont be many. Sure, he can score some crackers but majority of his goals have came from standing on the line and tapping them in which if boyd wasnt on, who was on in place of boyd, standing in the same place as boyd, could also score

Cousin is the best striker there, however he HAS to get his head sorted out!

Velica/boyd, Novo and Cousin upfront in a 4-3-3 would be good to see!

i think thats a bit of a myth, but, then again, why did nobody else do that last season when he wasnt playing?

Surely penalties and "poached" goals have as much value as 30 yard screamers?

The stats are interesting, but, as someone mentioned, its the ones that end up in the net that count at the end of the day, and, the comparisons with Ally and his misses are valid. Coisty could have been walking away from goal, the ball would hit himon the arse and go in, they all count.

Cousin may be accurate, but, how many times last season (when Boyd was on the bench), did we play games, with next to no shots on goal? We also complained that our midfield ouldnt shoot either. Quite easy to be accurate if you arent taking a shot isnt it?

Maybe because we can see so many different types of football these days, that we forget the basics. we want "complete strikers" and creative midfielders, however, there is nothing less valid about having a couple of wingers and a target mand with a poacher. Still works imo

Good stats. Boyd fluffs far too many a seemingly simple shot or header for my liking. Yes he scores a lot but anyone who had the brass neck to just hang around the 18 yard box and not help the team in any other way would too probably.

Look at properly good strikers and you'll see they rarely fluff a shot and that's why I don't rate Boyd that highly.

See i think boyd is a great player for the team.

I mean, people will disagree, but it was a while before coisty was accepted by the fans.

Yes he doesn't score all the time..

BUT i think you haven't given him a chance yet, this season with the right midfield and passing up front, he will get goals galore i bet.

I mean last season was he not our top scorer? YET..had only come on as sub or played parts of games?

I posted this in another thread, but thought it might make an interesting topic for discussion amongst those who love to quote Boyd's goalscoring record to prove how great a player he is. The Telegraph website has in depth stats for SPL players in the last three seasons and from this you can work out a player's success rate in terms of shooting. If Boyd is really the best finisher at the club then he should have the highest percentage, right? Well the numbers from last season don't show this -

Velicka = 31%

Novo = 30%

Cousin = 29%

Darcheville = 28%

Boyd = 23%

Not only is he behind the likes of Cousin and Velicka in terms of success rate, in relative terms he's a mile behind them. Shooting every time he gets the ball and scoring a much lower percentage of the time than other players in the team does not make him the best finisher at the club.

Now, I'm sure an immediate reaction to this will be something along the lines of "statistics are meaningless", but that's precisely what many people have been saying about Boyd's goalscoring record - that a far better way to judge a player is looking at what he does over 90 minutes rather than looking at numbers on a piece of paper. However, it's interesting to note that when you actually look at the statistics in depth Boyd is far from the most efficient finisher at the club.

Pointless thread

Velicka 3rd rate

Novo = 3rd rate

Cousin = what can we say ?

Darcheville finished crocked useless

Boyd easily the best finisher by a country mile since he has been at RFC and thats a fact :rangers:

See i think boyd is a great player for the team.

I mean, people will disagree, but it was a while before coisty was accepted by the fans.

Yes he doesn't score all the time..

BUT i think you haven't given him a chance yet, this season with the right midfield and passing up front, he will get goals galore i bet.

I mean last season was he not our top scorer? YET..had only come on as sub or played parts of games?

(tu)

Indeed, it could be argued that he hasnt had that since he joined, and, STILL outscores everyone.

Velicka = 31%

Novo = 30%

Cousin = 29%

Darcheville = 28%

Boyd = 23%

Pointless thread

Velicka 3rd rate

Novo = 3rd rate

Boyd easily the best finisher by a country mile since he has been at RFC and thats a fact :rangers:

Kinda agree with that, although, bit harsh on Novo I think, he has come up with the goods on a number of occasions when we really needed it

You'll get abuse, but I totally agree.

People claim he should play against the big teams in Europe 'because he'll always put the chances away'.

Rubbish! He may put them away eventually, but against the big teams in Europe, we're only going to get 2 or 3 chances a game and a 23% conversion rate doesn't inspire me.

If Boyd was to play in the Champions League he'd struggle to get one effort on goal nevermind score.

He looked woefully out of his depth against Panathinaikos and that was in the UEFA Cup.

Velicka = 31%

Novo = 30%

Cousin = 29%

Darcheville = 28%

Boyd = 23%

Disagreement nd abuse are welcome. :rangers:

Pointless thread

Velicka 3rd rate

Novo = 3rd rate

Kinda agree with that, although, bit harsh on Novo I think, he has come up with the goods on a number of occasions when we really needed it

Sorry 3rd rate in Spain, maybe 2nd rate for RFC but he did score some vital goals but his overall performance ??

1st rate at Raith and Dundee

People claim he should play against the big teams in Europe 'because he'll always put the chances away'.

Rubbish! He may put them away eventually, but against the big teams in Europe, we're only going to get 2 or 3 chances a game and a 23% conversion rate doesn't inspire me.

If Boyd was to play in the Champions League he'd struggle to get one effort on goal nevermind score.

He looked woefully out of his depth against Panathinaikos and that was in the UEFA Cup.

:lol:doh

Now bear in mind the poor service he was receiving from the midfield, it was dire.

Give him a chance this year i say, if he can't score with this years quality service coming in then maybe i'll agree.

Now bear in mind the poor service he was receiving from the midfield, it was dire.

Give him a chance this year i say, if he can't score with this years quality service coming in then maybe i'll agree.

Most of them do not know what they are talking about mate

He's one of a kind, i'll give him that.

His lack of technique, his poor off the ball running and his general workrate leads me to believe that he just wouldnt cause a decent centre half any problems. Without meaning to go into the stats, how many goals has he scored against top opposition.

I just dont think the "in the right place at the right time" sort of play applys at the top level anymore.

Most of them do not know what they are talking about mate

Condescending nonsense. Try debating your point.