tartan army

minstral

See, I can understand them booing the anthem if we were playing against the English, what with the history, banter and rivalry involved there. I would also fully expect the England fans to boo Flower of Scotland in retalliation.

But to boo it when we're playing NI is disgusting. There's no rivalry there for the average Scot. I was reading thwe paper this morning and there's a quote from one guy who defended it by saying 'She's not our Queen' eh sorry mate, she is and to boo a song about her when we're playing a team that don't have a dirge such as the Corries song as an anthem is pathetic.

WIEN SAID:It's improper and simple minded to boo another nation's anthem. I can recall the recent rugby match played at the seat of Irish and GAA nationalism at Croke Park, Dubin when Ireland played England (2007). There was no disrespect shown to GSTQ. However, in Scotland, we have the bigots and racists amongst the Tartan Army demean the anthem of our cousins from Northern Ireland.

The leaders of the Tartan Army should now publicly denounce the racists within their divisions, some of whom will probably not even be affiliated with the organization. The booing was shameful and embarrassing...Scotland has been let down by the bigots, small minded and stuck in the past. Shame on You !

I agree. As for the cousins bit and bigotry bit I know it all ends up getting dragged into religious and histry debate that never ends. I dont care about all that stuff. Atheist, so i shouldnt. Outside of football i'd say Ireland in general is our cousins, after all the Scots came from Ireland and shared and still share a lot of common heritage. Music and folklore too. Football rivalry and dislke of bigots is fine by me but outside of that i have no problem with Ireland north or south. Or the Welsh for that matter. England -? Only thing that bugs me about them is that Jimmy Hill Maggie Thatcher type arrogance that they give you.

I quite like the Norwegians too. They've put a lot into Sctland too, long time ago.

As for the Tartan Army, they should just support Scotland. The divisions there are obviously just a reflection of divisions in scottish footbal. Maybe I'm wrong.

I certainly wouldn't boo any national anthem. Dont feel strongly enough about other countrys anthems.

dIRGE?

I actually think GSTQ is a dirge. It's really dull and boring. FOS is a nicer song IMO.

FOS is a nicer song but to me it's still a dirge, especially when it's being sung out of tune and timing by the tartan army.

Most anthems are boring and uninspiring. Why can't we have a rousing one like some of the South American teams?

dIRGE?

I actually think GSTQ is a dirge. It's really dull and boring. FOS is a nicer song IMO.

FOS is a nicer song but to me it's still a dirge, especially when it's being sung out of tune and timing by the tartan army.

Most anthems are boring and uninspiring. Why can't we have a rousing one like some of the South American teams?

I agree GSTQ is a dirge don't mind FOS at any event other than Scotland footballhome games that corries guy murders it his partner that wrote it

Must spin in his grave when he hears him singing it

dIRGE?

'La Marseillaise' is excellent.

I've always been Rangers AND Scotland.

But I was more than a little disappointed when I heard of the following:

1) the reporter on RR Michelle criticising the NI fans - along the lines of - "they are BAITING the Scots by waving England flags at us - terrible" - nobody corrected her - later when she was told it was their own flag she apparently said - "their flag should be green anyway".....

2) Strathclyde Police have had to apologise to visiting NI fans after confiscating many NI flags - the Police said: "Er we thought these were illegal".

3) the Tartan Army - or a large section of - insisted on booing the NI national anthem God Save the Queen (regardless of your politics on union etc at least have the decency to resprect another's anthem etc).

It is pathetic.

1) the reporter on RR Michelle criticising the NI fans - along the lines of - "they are BAITING the Scots by waving England flags at us - terrible" - nobody corrected her - later when she was told it was their own flag she apparently said - "their flag should be green anyway".....

I missed the original comment, just tuned in when that fud ewan was trying to defend her 'she's not an expert on flags'.... :rolleyes:

Rough was funny, he sussed her out and said something like 'better not tell her what's in the middle of the flag'.

All in all a bit embarassing, but no prizes for guessing what type of schooling produced her.

:unionflag: :unionflag: :unionflag: :unionflag: :unionflag: :unionflag: :unionflag: :unionflag: :unionflag: :unionflag: :unionflag: :unionflag: :unionflag: :unionflag: :unionflag: :unionflag:

Northern Ireland should have there own national anthem also

They do have a good group of fans though

Who else has there own national anthem like?

They are part of Britain and as such GSTQ is there own national anthem!

I do not look upon the "tartan army" as football fans, just a self glorifying bunch who hate successful teams and players. Again their booing of opposition and their own anthem shows their small minded and disgraceful attitudes.The press boost them up as great supporters but the ones I have seen know and care little about football and are often poor ambassadors for the nation they purport to love.

I do not look upon the "tartan army" as football fans, just a self glorifying bunch who hate successful teams and players. Again their booing of opposition and their own anthem shows their small minded and disgraceful attitudes.The press boost them up as great supporters but the ones I have seen know and care little about football and are often poor ambassadors for the nation they purport to love.

To be fair I know a few folks in the Tartan Army and they love their football.

I do agree that they are not the 'great supporters' they are made out to be. How is it great to go to different countries for a mass piss up cos that's all it is for most of them? I'm sure all the countries we play really look forward to a couple of thousand scots getting reekin, pissing all over the place and shouting about how hard done by Scotland is.

The banter between the 2 sets of fans was terrific. Spoke to a few N.I guys during the day and we were all having a good laugh.

GSTQ was obviously going to be booed by sections, but it wasn't as much as I thought it would be. Rule Britannia was booed aswell but there was no booing when they did (a rather good) version of the bouncy.

Healy and Davis weren't booed, only player that got some stick was McAnus.

And I even heard someone behind me shout "fenian b*stard" at one of the Celtic players(can't remember which one), if that makes anyone feel better :rolleyes::craphead:

Scotland needs a new National Anthem (Official one)

I nominate FOS

We'll be coming.......

Gotta love the Tartan Army, 1 of the worlds best group of fans

I agree with manti, though perhaps we could replace it with 'could ye go a chicken supper bobby sands' :unionflag: :pipe: