Jason Cullina

Gaffbear

Guest The Brown Brogue

Cut & pasted this from a Sky Sports search, dated from Nov 06.....

A host of British clubs are understood to be considering a move for Australian Jason Culina in January.

PSV Eindhoven are ready to listen to offers for the combative midfielder with a fee of ?1 million likely to be enough to land the 26-year-old.

Aston Villa, Bolton, Fulham and Portsmouth - along with Old Firm giants Celtic and Rangers - have been credited with an interest in Culina by Dutch sources.

Culina, who played every game for Australia at this year's World Cup finals, is at home in midfield - but can also play in defence, and his versatility is a likely attraction to any interested manager.

Culina's UK representative Dean Sheehan of Dolmans Solicitors, has backed his charge to make an impact in the British game - should he seal a move when the transfer window re-opens.

"Jason is perfect for the British game. He is quick, strong but also has great vision and creativity," Sheehan told skysports.com.

"He also works hard for the team which cannot be said of all creative players. If Jason is allowed to express himself, he will make a hatful of goals. I believe he can be a Steed Malbranque."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from reading things on his website he can play anywhere in midfield

Seen him play right and left wing and also in the centre. He and Ball worked well together down the left, when Ball was given a chance.

At ?1m (if that's true) then this is they type of player we really have to go for. Also, he's not a geriatric :D

I'll be watching keenly to see how this one develops. I'm also pleased that he would be 'flattered' by our interest - he knows we're a big club and Brian Laudrup's influence could just sway it.

from reading things on his website he can play anywhere in midfield

Seen him play right and left wing and also in the centre. He and Ball worked well together down the left, when Ball was given a chance.

cool good stuff, sounds like a player we could definatly do with hopefully we get a bid in soon

If we are in for him we will need to act fast, EPL teams will also be interested and I dont want to see him ending up at a club like, Charlton, Man City, Bolton etc.

Season Apps Goals Team

2006 - 2007 5 (12) 0 PSV Eindhoven Netherlands

2005 - 2006 23 0 PSV Eindhoven Netherlands

2005 - 2006 6 1 FC Twente Netherlands

2004 - 2005 32 11 FC Twente Netherlands

2003 - 2004 2 0 Ajax Netherlands

2002 - 2003 24 1 De Graafschap Netherlands

2001 - 2002 0 0 Ajax Netherlands

2000 - 2001 11 1 Germinal Beerschot

From sky sports stats centre.

Season Apps Goals Team

2006 - 2007 5 (12) 0 PSV Eindhoven Netherlands

2005 - 2006 23 0 PSV Eindhoven Netherlands

2005 - 2006 6 1 FC Twente Netherlands

2004 - 2005 32 11 FC Twente Netherlands

2003 - 2004 2 0 Ajax Netherlands

2002 - 2003 24 1 De Graafschap Netherlands

2001 - 2002 0 0 Ajax Netherlands

2000 - 2001 11 1 Germinal Beerschot

From sky sports stats centre.

Doesnt score that many for an attacking midfielder.

Rangers are being linked with a move for Australian international Jason Culina, who admits he is flattered by their interest.

New Gers boss Walter Smith is eager to imprint his own impression on the squad and Culina has emerged as a possible target.

PSV Eindhoven boss Ronald Koeman is ready to let Culina leave and Ibrox could be a possible destination.

"Rangers are a massive club and, if their interest is genuine, I am flattered," said the versatile midfielder.

"When I was with Brian Laudrup at Ajax, he always told me what a great place Glasgow was to live in.

"However, I am contracted to PSV for another 18 months and I am committed to the cause. It really is up to the clubs but I would like to play in the UK one day."

Culina's UK representative, Dean Sheehan, was adamant that Culina would be a perfect signing for Rangers.

"Any sale is entirely up to PSV," Sheehan told skysports.com.

"But if you're asking if Jason is what Rangers need right now then the answer is yes. The supporters would love him, he'd score goals and fight for everything."

Sounds good, we were linked with him a month back under PLG>

JASON Culina has been linked with a move to Scottish giant Rangers FC, where fellow Australians Craig Moore and Tony Vidmar became household names.

The Glasgow club has lost two midfield players in the last 24 hours. Jeremy Clement, 22, moved to Paris St Germain and former England and Arsenal stalwart Ray Parlour, 33, was released.

All of a sudden there's a void to fill at the Ibrox and Culina is interested.

"Rangers are a massive club and, if their interest is genuine, I am flattered,'' Culina said of a possible move in the ?1 million ($A2.5 million) region.

"It really is up to the clubs but I would like to play in the UK one day. However, I'm contracted to PSV for 18 months and I am committed to the cause.''

The 26-year-old is currently struggling to crack into the first team at Dutch Eredivisie leader PSV Eindhoven, starting in only a handful matches this term.

But PSV spokesman Pedro Salazar-Hewitt played down the reports, saying no contact had been made between the two clubs.

"I am normally made aware when something like this happens,'' Salazar-Hewitt said.

"This is the first thing I've heard of it.''

Culina's UK agent Dean Sheehan said the dogged midfielder would suit the British game.

"If you're asking if Jason is what Rangers need right now then the answer is yes,'' Sheehan said.

"The fans would love him, he'd score goals and fight for everything. Any sale is entirely up to PSV.''

Historically, Australians have thrived in the Scottish Premiership.

As well as Moore and Vidmar - who played 279 games between them at Rangers - Mark Viduka was voted Scottish Premier League player of the year in 1998 after scoring 27 goals in his first full season at Celtic.

Culina was this week named alongside Viduka in a strong 20-man Socceroos squad for next month's friendly against Denmark in London, but is in doubt with the impending birth of his first child.

Fellow World Cup star Mark Bresciano could also miss the match, his wife also expecting their first child around the time of the match.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2...3-23215,00.html

This will probably go the same way as Dica did. I was excited about the news of him coming and it never happened. I cant see this either, probably end up at Charlton or f*cken Bolton :angry:

This will probably go the same way as Dica did. I was excited about the news of him coming and it never happened. I cant see this either, probably end up at Charlton or f*cken Bolton :angry:

Yeah - unfortunately i have the very same gut feeling ;)

Rangers are being linked with a move for Australian international Jason Culina, who admits he is flattered by their interest.

New Gers boss Walter Smith is eager to imprint his own impression on the squad and Culina has emerged as a possible target.

PSV Eindhoven boss Ronald Koeman is ready to let Culina leave and Ibrox could be a possible destination.

"Rangers are a massive club and, if their interest is genuine, I am flattered," said the versatile midfielder.

"When I was with Brian Laudrup at Ajax, he always told me what a great place Glasgow was to live in.

"However, I am contracted to PSV for another 18 months and I am committed to the cause. It really is up to the clubs but I would like to play in the UK one day."

Culina's UK representative, Dean Sheehan, was adamant that Culina would be a perfect signing for Rangers.

"But if you're asking if Jason is what Rangers need right now then the answer is yes. The supporters would love him, he'd score goals and fight for everything."

This is almost a cloned mirror of what Kim Kallstrom said when he was linked to us.

Culina would be a great addition, but there's not a dog in hell's chance we'll get him.

This is almost a cloned mirror of what Kim Kallstrom said when he was linked to us.

Culina would be a great addition, but there's not a dog in hell's chance we'll get him.

Yeah for "flattered" read...."Thanks but no thanks".

<_<