need help buying a Laptop

Ibroxin83

Hi folks, my daughter (11) wants a laptop from Santa, easily pleased eh.

I have been looking at some and TBH i have no idea what to get her.

she will be going to high school in the summer so something that will help her with whatever you do at high school these days, also because we live abroad she uses MSN and sometimes skype so webcam and built in microphone are essential along with wireless internet.

the size of screen does not matter ( well don't think it does ). the price however does matter I do not want to spend too much but i am not daft and realise that you get what you pay for.

please can someone help me out with this as time is running out.

Hi folks, my daughter (11) wants a laptop from Santa, easily pleased eh.

I have been looking at some and TBH i have no idea what to get her.

she will be going to high school in the summer so something that will help her with whatever you do at high school these days, also because we live abroad she uses MSN and sometimes skype so webcam and built in microphone are essential along with wireless internet.

the size of screen does not matter ( well don't think it does ). the price however does matter I do not want to spend too much but i am not daft and realise that you get what you pay for.

please can someone help me out with this as time is running out.

I have an Acer Aspire 5315 that meets all those requirements as i use it for MSN and skype, etc. It's also chock full of music and still running well. The built in camera is excellent...very clear. She might need more memory than this one has so you could always go bigger that way. I paid about $500 Canadian for this one which is only around 250 pound. 15.4" screen also, wouldnt go smaller than that.

I wouldn't go buying an expensive laptop for one so young. Have a look on the Acer website, they often have decent laptops are reasonable prices, get at least a 1MB memory on it. Just have a look in shops, on the internet ect, ect.

Acer seem to be the best value for money laptops. Haven't seen a bad review for them yet! And they look really smart too. I got an Acer Aspire 5920 a couple of months ago with 2Gb memory, 1.83GHz procesor and 250Gb hard drive, £380 from Comet. It also has a built in webcam and microphone. I'm sure there will be plenty of Xmas offers come the next few weeks in all the big shops and online.

Happy Shopping!

the dell mini 9 is well cheap, not uber powerful at a all, but it looks great, is very small, and can be bought for 250-300. great for internet access email etc..

sorry should have mentioned that i hate Dell their customer support is useless, I have had 2 and my desktop is a dell but it is sitting dormant because i cant get it connected to the internet for some reason although it has great spec.

the dell mini 9 is well cheap, not uber powerful at a all, but it looks great, is very small, and can be bought for 250-300. great for internet access email etc..

sorry should have mentioned that i hate Dell their customer support is useless, I have had 2 and my desktop is a dell but it is sitting dormant because i cant get it connected to the internet for some reason although it has great spec.

the dell support is top class, best in the business, but home users unfortunately go to india which is the same as any where else.

I work in dell support..

the dell support is top class, best in the business, but home users unfortunately go to india which is the same as any where else.

I work in dell support..

I am home user and I do have to call India, Glasgow may be great but that is no good to me i'm afraid as i will still need to call abroad, which is why my desktop PC (which cost me over a grand) is sitting collecting dust. I do not have that kind of money to spend on a dust collector. I don't mean to sound rude but my experiences with dell have not been good.

I work in dell support..

I am home user and I do have to call India, Glasgow may be great but that is no good to me i'm afraid as i will still need to call abroad, which is why my desktop PC (which cost me over a grand) is sitting collecting dust. I do not have that kind of money to spend on a dust collector. I don't mean to sound rude but my experiences with dell have not been good.

Not at all, this particular laptop though, as it is designed to be compact consists of about 3 part; hard drive, lcd and motherboard, so if troubleshooting on a call for is a problem these laptops are easy as hell, you wouldn't be on the phone for long, If you buy a dell I am always on if you need any help and I can take a look at your system.

currently collect and return warranties are being given onsite repair upgrades, so all you would need to get an engineer out to you is to prove a hardware problem. if you tell them that you swapped the hard drive then job done.

At the end of the day tech support for all major PC companies tend to be from india. and the guy you spoke to at dell support will probably be at hp the next due to the turn over of staff in bangalor, the call centres continually undercut each other and steal staff from each other.

Not at all, this particular laptop though, as it is designed to be compact consists of about 3 part; hard drive, lcd and motherboard, so if troubleshooting on a call for is a problem these laptops are easy as hell, you wouldn't be on the phone for long, If you buy a dell I am always on if you need any help and I can take a look at your system.

currently collect and return warranties are being given onsite repair upgrades, so all you would need to get an engineer out to you is to prove a hardware problem. if you tell them that you swapped the hard drive then job done.

At the end of the day tech support for all major PC companies tend to be from india. and the guy you spoke to at dell support will probably be at hp the next due to the turn over of staff in bangalor, the call centres continually undercut each other and steal staff from each other.

I live in germany so a collect and return is not possible for me, i would prefer to be able to take my laptop into a shop and have it fixed, I can still do this with PC's bought form UK shops as i am a regular visitor to the UK.

I admire your commitment and loyalty to Dell though if only all customer service people were like you.

If I was to recommend another company that have a good reputation with home computing I would probably say acer.

I believe they also have a mini series laptop at a good price. I recomend the mini ones as they are cheap and ideal starter laptops for people.