Rangers chasing Graham Gartland

Muff

Never heard of the guy lads but people say he is not Rangers Class. So what is Rangers class. Godrup, Gazza, John Greig, Jim Baxter etc are Rangers class but in this day and age how many of the current squad are or would you say are Rangers class. I think we could count it on 1 hand.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand it (and obviously I could be way off), a "Tim" is a Scottish/Irish Catholic who supports Celtic. In that case, does Catholicism play a vital part of the identification? Is an Irish Catholic who supports Liverpool or Man U a "Tim?

Papaguy makes the distinction that a Tim is not the same thing as a Catholic. To me, it's a confusing comparison, but I digress. Tim's are partly different because of their religion. I'm not an imbicile, the logic just doesn't add up for me.

As I understand it (and obviously I could be way off), a "Tim" is a Scottish/Irish Catholic who supports Celtic. In that case, does Catholicism play a vital part of the identification? Is an Irish Catholic who supports Liverpool or Man U a "Tim?

Papaguy makes the distinction that a Tim is not the same thing as a Catholic. To me, it's a confusing comparison, but I digress. Tim's are partly different because of their religion. I'm not an imbicile, the logic just doesn't add up for me.

I don't know how others see it, but if an eskimo came over for a few years and started going to Celtic games, I'd class him as a tim.

I know lots of Catholics that support Motherwell, but I would never class them as tims.

If you get what I'm saying.....

People need to seperate tims from Catholics before reading this thread.

For a minute there, I thought we were all falling for the 'Supporting Celtic is a religion' mindset ;)

Exactly!

I was arguing with a tim at work, i was shocked to find a tim working but thats for another topic, and he said do i celebrate when Novo scores as it is ironic that you all hate tims but cheers when one scores.

And i said there is a difference between a tim and a catholic mate and he didnt agree.

Just because you are a catholic doesnt make you a tim!

Everybody sees it different though. Same with "h**".

That's not our problem.

Anyone that sees 'tim' and 'Catholic' as the same thing is quite clearly an imbicile.

What do you mean its not "our problem". My point is that there are fans on both sides who disagree with the words h** and tim. Some dont find either of them offensive or related to religion and some do find them offensive and related to religion. Having a different opinion doesnt make you an imbicile. :rolleyes:

People need to seperate tims from Catholics before reading this thread.

For a minute there, I thought we were all falling for the 'Supporting Celtic is a religion' mindset ;)

Exactly!

I was arguing with a tim at work, i was shocked to find a tim working but thats for another topic, and he said do i celebrate when Novo scores as it is ironic that you all hate tims but cheers when one scores.

And i said there is a difference between a tim and a catholic mate and he didnt agree.

Just because you are a catholic doesnt make you a tim!

Everybody sees it different though. Same with "h**".

That's not our problem.

Anyone that sees 'tim' and 'Catholic' as the same thing is quite clearly an imbicile.

What do you mean its not "our problem". My point is that there are fans on both sides who disagree with the words h** and tim. Some dont find either of them offensive or related to religion and some do find them offensive and related to religion. Having a different opinion doesnt make you an imbicile. :rolleyes:

I'm saying that anyone who thinks all Rangers fans call cry Catholics as 'tims' is an imbecile.

Which is absolutely spot on.

I don't know how others see it, but if an eskimo came over for a few years and started going to Celtic games, I'd class him as a tim.

I know lots of Catholics that support Motherwell, but I would never class them as tims.

So I guess religion doesn't even come into the equation in your definition? Protestant Celtic supporters are Tims to?

Nowadays i use "timmy" to describe Celtic fans but back in my schooldays, you were either a Proddy or a Tim, both of which were unrelated to football teams.

So I guess religion doesn't even come into the equation in your definition? Protestant Celtic supporters are Tims to?

Yeah, I guess that's spot on TG.

The most important part of your sentence there TG ;)

:lol:

So when you sing 'Tell all the tims you know........', you're meaning every Catholic in the world instead of every Celtic supporter?

So when you sing 'Tell all the tims you know........', you're meaning every Catholic in the world instead of every Celtic supporter?

So when Timmy sings "Go home ya h***" are they meaning every Protestant in the world instead of every Rangers supporter ? :sherlock:

Tim = Celtic Supporter.

Not Irish. Not Catholic. Not Irish Catholic.

Well not necessary. They can overlap and do in many cases, but a tim is a Celtic fan, JG's not sure of his terms and is working on many assumptions. Not all Irish Catholics support Celtic, so the term tim does not apply, unless the player supports Celtic.

So when Timmy sings "Go home ya huns" are they meaning every Protestant in the world instead of every Rangers supporter ? :sherlock:

Well they set the standard by insisting that the only definition of "Fenian" was Catholic, despite dictionaries and Irish history saying otherwise.

Tim = Celtic Supporter.

Well not necessary. They can overlap and do in many cases, but a tim is a Celtic fan, JG's not sure of his terms and is working on many assumptions. Not all Irish Catholics support Celtic, so the term tim does not apply, unless the player supports Celtic.

My point Oleg was that although that is yours and Papaguys interpretation, there are many people who dont share that view just the same as there is a mixture of views on the word h**, even amongst our own support.

I go back to my point about the schools. Back in the day, you either went to a Proddy or a Tim school so in that context, Tim most defo meant Catholic.

I personally use "Timmy" to describe Celtic fans and wouldnt refer to an Irish Catholic Man Utd supporter as a Tim or Timmy.

The origins of "Tim" do however relate back to, funnily enough, the Catholic Irish immigrants who came to Scotland.

(tu)

So when Timmy sings "Go home ya h***" are they meaning every Protestant in the world instead of every Rangers supporter ? :sherlock:

Well they set the standard by insisting that the only definition of "Fenian" was Catholic, despite dictionaries and Irish history saying otherwise.

Its not really a them and us argument on this one. Im only saying that people out there on both sides of the divide who think "Tim" equals "Catholic" and equally people on both sides who see "Tim" as "Celtic fan" (tu)

I would assume they were singing it at Rangers supporters.

Tim = Celtic Supporter.

My point Oleg was that although that is yours and Papaguys interpretation, there are many people who dont share that view just the same as there is a mixture of views on the word hun, even amongst our own support.

I go back to my point about the schools. Back in the day, you either went to a Proddy or a Tim school so in that context, Tim most defo meant Catholic.

I personally use "Timmy" to describe Celtic fans and wouldnt refer to an Irish Catholic Man Utd supporter as a Tim or Timmy.

The origins of "Tim" do however relate back to, funnily enough, the Catholic Irish immigrants who came to Scotland.

(tu)

Tim is their choice of word to refer to themselves. We didn't impose it on them.

Hun was also their choice of word against us, designed to offend us and is from a sectarian Irish usage which applies in Ireland and adopted here.

People don't necessarily use the same definitions, but the ones I suggest are the most applicable ones.

With timmy using new and irrelevant definitions of racism, purely to get us into trouble, the same standards must be applied to them.

And others would assume they are singing to Protestants, which is kind of my point mate.

People see it differently and just because they do, it doesnt make them imbeciles. (tu)

Or they would sing it to Rangers fans assuming they were Protestants ? :unsure:

is that right ?

So when Timmy sings "Go home ya huns" are they meaning every Protestant in the world instead of every Rangers supporter ? :sherlock:

The same can be said of "fenian" in the Billy Boys.

So by their standards, "hun" is sectarian,

And others would assume they are singing to Protestants, which is kind of my point mate.

People see it differently and just because they do, it doesnt make them imbeciles. (tu)

I think it's daft to aim something football related at people who don't care about football though.

It's a hard one to describe though mate!

h** was also their choice of word against us, designed to offend us and is from a sectarian Irish usage which applies in Ireland and adopted here.

Not so sure about that Oleg. We called them h*** long before they started singing it to us.

It was us that started singing "Go home ya h***" to them. (tu)