Rangers chasing Graham Gartland

Muff

I could care less if he's an Irish Catholic. As I've said before, we have Catholics, Muslims, and Protestants who have played for the club, and the only requirement for me is if the player is good enough. If Gartland is as mediocre as some people have said, then fine, punt him. But if he can do a job, I don't think his background should come into it.

Saying that every Irish Catholic is evil or an IRA-sympathizing paedophile is a far-fetched idea. Certainly some of them are, but painting all of them with the same brush is a dangerous proposition IMO. Certainly Rangers are traditionally a "Scottish Protestant" team, but if we are to progress on the pitch and off, we should look to sign players who are both good players and decent people. That's not to say that we should run off and sign every member of the Irish national team, but if one comes along thats good enough, sign him up.

That's just my opinion on it, maybe since I wasn't born into the Old Firm I have different views on this, but it seems to me the country where a guy was born and what church a guy goes to once a week are irrelevant to me.

(tu)

The thing is, the guys saying "I don't want a Tim playing for us" will be happy enough to complain about the press labeling us as a bunch of bigots

I know.

I didnt read the whole thread but I wish I had befeore I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

The guy and others are obviously bigots, like many in our support.

One day they will be eradivated like the dinasours they are.

I drink in a pub in a nice part of Brisbane. There are Irish, Welsh, Scottish, english all happy to get along and from diffrent backgrounds.

Ive met 2 bogots since I have been here, one a mhnak and one unfortunately one of us.

It was pathetic to see a so called bear getting told to leave the pub before he got a slap just the other weekend. I mean you are living in Oz and you are still fighting some faux religious war, for fecks sake its 2008 get the fuck over it.

You have absolutely no idea how uninteresting, tedious and pathetically dull you look like spouting your pish in front of educated normal people in this day and age.

Here you go: :sgtg:

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There could be something to this, unfortunately.

DROGHEDA UNITED stopper Graham Gartland has been offered the chance by Rangers to make history.

Gartland, 25, is weighing up a trial opportunity at Ibrox.

If he impresses and wins a deal, he would become only the fourth player from the Republic of Ireland to sign for Rangers.

The last was Alex Stevenson in 1932, while before him were Jim McAuley and Alex Craig.

Gartland said: “If I was to sign for them, then maybe it would help others to do the same. I know there are young lads who have maybe looked at it and thought that it’s not worth all the stick they would get for signing for Rangers.

“Perhaps if an older player like myself was to sign, then it would make it easier for any others coming through.

“They are one of the biggest clubs in Britain.

“So I would love to have the opportunity to join them, but I’m not getting ahead of myself.

“So far it has just been talk about me going on trial there. I’m waiting to hear back in the next day or two and I’ll take it from there.”

h** was also their choice of word against us, designed to offend us and is from a sectarian Irish usage which applies in Ireland and adopted here.

Not so sure about that Oleg. We called them h*** long before they started singing it to us.

It was us that started singing "Go home ya h***" to them. (tu)

I DO remember that..although I thought all the teams sang it.

So..where DOES Tim come from?

In fact I heard the saying 'Are you a Billy or a Dan..or an auld tin can"?

Anybody shed some light on THAT?

tim is a perjorative name for a catholic.tim=T***

Actually it comes from a Glasgow gang in the Calton area called the Tim Alloys who used to fight with the Bridgeton Derry. It's also what the yanks used to call the Irish.

If you know your history...

no,its a dimunation of the irish name tadhg.before irish people were called paddies ,they were called tadghs.hence t**** and its english version tims

No, it's to do with the Tim Malloys. History lesson finished for tonight. That will be all. Good night and god bless.

Ok..Id heard that name Tim Alloy before , but wasnt sure what the heck it was!

A gang..well it figures...

DROGHEDA UNITED stopper Graham Gartland has been offered the chance by Rangers to make history.

If he impresses and wins a deal, he would become only the fourth player from the Republic of Ireland to sign for Rangers.

The last was Alex Stevenson in 1932, while before him were Jim McAuley and Alex Craig.

Gartland said: “If I was to sign for them, then maybe it would help others to do the same. I know there are young lads who have maybe looked at it and thought that it’s not worth all the stick they would get for signing for Rangers.

“Perhaps if an older player like myself was to sign, then it would make it easier for any others coming through.

“So I would love to have the opportunity to join them, but I’m not getting ahead of myself.

“So far it has just been talk about me going on trial there. I’m waiting to hear back in the next day or two and I’ll take it from there.”

Well it sounds like he has the right attitude.

Fair play to him.

I could care less if he's an Irish Catholic. As I've said before, we have Catholics, Muslims, and Protestants who have played for the club, and the only requirement for me is if the player is good enough. If Gartland is as mediocre as some people have said, then fine, punt him. But if he can do a job, I don't think his background should come into it.

Saying that every Irish Catholic is evil or an IRA-sympathizing paedophile is a far-fetched idea. Certainly some of them are, but painting all of them with the same brush is a dangerous proposition IMO. Certainly Rangers are traditionally a "Scottish Protestant" team, but if we are to progress on the pitch and off, we should look to sign players who are both good players and decent people. That's not to say that we should run off and sign every member of the Irish national team, but if one comes along thats good enough, sign him up.

That's just my opinion on it, maybe since I wasn't born into the Old Firm I have different views on this, but it seems to me the country where a guy was born and what church a guy goes to once a week are irrelevant to me.

(tu)

The thing is, the guys saying "I don't want a Tim playing for us" will be happy enough to complain about the press labeling us as a bunch of bigots

I know.

I didnt read the whole thread but I wish I had befeore I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

I drink in a pub in a nice part of Brisbane. There are Irish, Welsh, Scottish, english all happy to get along and from diffrent backgrounds.

Ive met 2 bogots since I have been here, one a mhnak and one unfortunately one of us.

It was pathetic to see a so called bear getting told to leave the pub before he got a slap just the other weekend. I mean you are living in Oz and you are still fighting some faux religious war, for fecks sake its 2008 get the fuck over it.

You have absolutely no idea how uninteresting, tedious and pathetically dull you look like spouting your pish in front of educated normal people in this day and age.

Here you go: :sgtg:

Nobody more dangerous than those bogots or indeed a mhnak ! doh:lol::lol::lol::lol::sherlock:

Well it sounds like he has the right attitude.

Fair play to him.

I questioned earlier whether we could expect this guy to be able to give his all for Rangers seeing as where he's from. This doesn't answer that question but atleast he does prove to have a good attitude and could help others move on with the times.

Most of the people that want this fenian playing for Rangers don't even come from Scotland :lol:

That mentality only holds the club back.

Should be remembered that bigots/racists very often have low self esteem and their pathetic and backward prejudice is a symtom of that. Show some pity but stop calling them Neandrathals...unfair on that sub-human species to be compared to these guys.

As for this crap about who he plays for....we signed Jim Baxter from Raith Rovers. He doesn't seem to have any pedigree, granted, but that alone doesn't mean he doesn't have the ability. Saying that, he doesn't look to have set the world alight.

(tu)

I know.

Hate the way people that have fucked off to places like Australia try to educate us about the country that most of us are staying in doh

And for the record, that's one more football related fight than I saw this weekend ;)

I'd like to think we're looking at this guy for footballing reasons, not to apease the media... However i have my doubts.

There is nothing wrong with giving the guy a trial, if he cant cut it then he's off, no bother what so ever.

If it looks like he can offer something then we could take a shot on him at whats likely to be a fairly nominal fee.

The 'appeasing the media' thing doesn't make sense. Have we come under any criticism regarding our signing policy? Not an issue.

Agreed.

This fella isn't the first and won't be the last Irish catholic to be on trial. It's a non-issue in what must have been a slow news day.

The 'appeasing the media' thing doesn't make sense. Have we come under any criticism regarding our signing policy? Not an issue.

Agreed.

This fella isn't the first and won't be the last Irish catholic to be on trial. It's a non-issue in what must have been a slow news day.

Agree on both accounts, if he does get a trial and does well then yippee! If not, no loss, I'd still rather have Tonel though.