Walter's Team :

:mcgregor:

:broadfoot: :bougherra: :weir: :papac:

:davis: :ferguson: :mendes: :mcculloch:

:boyd: :miller:

Rangers 3 - 0 Hibs

Boyd
Mendes
Whittaker (if he doesn't play then Davis)

MONNA RANGERS :rangers:

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drop our top scorer a game before an Old firm game, great idea. :rolleyes:

There are other players who will score goals you know. I'd have him nowhere near the strating 11 against celtc.

There are other players who will score goals you know. I'd have him nowhere near the strating 11 against celtc.

Disagree entirely, Out of our other strikers this season Lafferty has scored 3, Velicka 1 and Darcheville 1. None of them have proved themselves at all. Boyd has earned the chance to start up front against Celtic with Miller.

Disagree entirely, Out of our other strikers this season Lafferty has scored 3, Velicka 1 and Darcheville 1. None of them have proved themselves at all. Boyd has earned the chance to start up front against Celtic with Miller.

to be fair to lafferty hes been playin on the left most of the time but has done well wen hes been played upfront

A few reasons why I would not start Boyd in both matches - Hogg, Jones, McManus, Caldwell, tight games, Rangers running out of ideas, panicking, long balls, no plan B....Boyd is absolutely useless when we come up against players like those four and when we continually thump the ball up to him. Watching Berra and Zaliukus win every header annoyed me, watching Kenneth and Wilkie not even jump against Boyd yet winning every ball infuriated me. The same will happen if he starts against both Hibs and celtc - and that's not a dig at just Boyd but our management, tactics, lack of ideas and players.

Now if we had Cousin it would be totally different(the constant long balls would irritate the hell out of me)but he's proven that he can handle it and hurt teams - anyway that option is no longer there.

Just so happens that when Lafferty plays up front the ball is mainly played into his feet, he's got more pace, a better touch and can bring the ball down, and run at defences. He also gets more shots on target than both Boyd and Miller.

I think Lafferty and Miller would be a decent partnership and I feel the Hibs and celtc defence would struggle with both of them.

A few reasons why I would not start Boyd in both matches - Hogg, Jones, McManus, Caldwell, tight games, Rangers running out of ideas, panicking, long balls, no plan B....Boyd is absolutely useless when we come up against players like those four and when we continually thump the ball up to him. Watching Berra and Zaliukus win every header annoyed me, watching Kenneth and Wilkie not even jump against Boyd yet winning every ball infuriated me. The same will happen if he starts against both Hibs and celtc - and that's not a dig at just Boyd but our management, tactics, lack of ideas and players.

Now if we had Cousin it would be totally different(the constant long balls would irritate the hell out of me)but he's proven that he can handle it and hurt teams - anyway that option is no longer there.

Just so happens that when Lafferty plays up front the ball is mainly played into his feet, he's got more pace, a better touch and can bring the ball down, and run at defences. He also gets more shots on target than both Boyd and Miller.

I think Lafferty and Miller would be a decent partnership and I feel the Hibs and celtc defence would struggle with both of them.

Lafferty and Miller may be a decent partnership but can we really afford to risk this untested strikeforce in a massive game against Celtic when we have a proven goalscorer on the bench? If you ask me we can't. I'd rather see Lafferty tested up front from the bench. You're right though he's played better while up front but he's yet to really prove himself and we can't risk throwing him in for the Celtic game when we have a proven strikeforce in Miller and Boyd who have been so lethal recently.

Lafferty and Miller may be a decent partnership but can we really afford to risk this untested strikeforce in a massive game against Celtic when we have a proven goalscorer on the bench? If you ask me we can't. I'd rather see Lafferty tested up front from the bench. You're right though he's played better while up front but he's yet to really prove himself and we can't risk throwing him in for the Celtic game when we have a proven strikeforce in Miller and Boyd who have been so lethal recently.

Is it any bigger of a risk than playing Boyd. I don't think so?

Smith has gone with different things before in an Old Firm match so I wouldn't see the problem here. If you don't trust your £3.5m signing then why sign him in the first place? I think he could hurt the celtc defence and he's shown that he can score goals.

Smith has gone with different things before in an Old Firm match so I wouldn't see the problem here. If you don't trust your £3.5m signing then why sign him in the first place? I think he could hurt the celtc defence and he's shown that he can score goals.

What do you think will happen though if we end up losing or drawing to Celtic and we'd started Lafferty over Boyd. Whatever you say about Boyd Muff he is a proven goalscorer and now has found the perfect partner he deserves a chance to show it can work against Celtic. The Boyd/Miller partnership is succsessful and if it aint broke don't fix it.

So, who can see Hibs just pumping the ball into big Nish in and around the box all day long after our woeful defensive display v United?

We'll need to be up for looking after him - brutally bad footballer, but excellent in the air.

What do you think will happen though if we end up losing or drawing to Celtic and we'd started Lafferty over Boyd

The same, if Boyd started.

It depends on the performances on the park. Going by the Hearts and Dundee United matches, I would not have Boyd anywhere near the starting line-up for the next two matches. My reasons are above.

What do you think will happen though if we end up losing or drawing to Celtic and we'd started Lafferty over Boyd. Whatever you say about Boyd Muff he is a proven goalscorer and now has found the perfect partner he deserves a chance to show it can work against Celtic. The Boyd/Miller partnership is succsessful and if it aint broke don't fix it.

I think thats the key phrase in this scenario. The key is the midfield; if we can control the game and have a link between the defence and the forwards, then we have a great shot at scoring goals.

I think we had a poster on here from N.I. who had watched all of Lafferty's matches at international level upfront and he seemed to think that Lafferty was nothing special. I'm confident he can be a good player eventually, but I don't know if I would leave the country's top scorer on the bench.

Also throwing McMillan in to play alongside two defenders he has never played alongside for two huge games like this is crazy. Or a "winger" he has never played behind.

What's crazy about playing a RB at RB? McMillan is a better defender than Whittaker and Broadfoot. I don't understand the winger bit?

Also throwing McMillan in to play alongside two defenders he has never played alongside for two huge games like this is crazy. Or a "winger" he has never played behind.

What's crazy about playing a RB at RB? McMillan is a better defender than Whittaker and Broadfoot. I don't understand the winger bit?

Nothing crazy about playing him there. But playing a young RB who has not played a senior game with us before (has he?? I may be very wrong in that point) in two must must win games would be a bit daft .Well young McMillan would be getting thrown behind Davis who he had never played behind before. For these two games I would go back to the Broadfoot and Davis down the right. Kirk had a few off games but I don't see any other option than him. I would rule out the McMillan thing for these two games. Ease him in, in games against Falkirk at home.

Don't know about the celtc game but I'd see no problem in playing him against Hibs - both Broadfoot and Whittaker are pish and I'd have Broadfoot in the centre alongside Bougherra with Weir dropping out. If he played well then I'd have him in the team against celtc. It's never going to happen anyway, it's just something I'd like to see.

If Walter Smith can play Adam or McCulloch then I don't see why he can't play McMillan as those two are fcuking awful.

Don't know about the celtc game but I'd see no problem in playing him against Hibs - both Broadfoot and Whittaker are pish and I'd have Broadfoot in the centre alongside Bougherra with Weir dropping out. If he played well then I'd have him in the team against celtc. It's never going to happen anyway, it's just something I'd like to see.

If Walter Smith can play Adam or McCulloch then I don't see why he can't play McMillan as those two are fcuking awful.

Agree with that bit. Wouldn't play any of them for these 2 games coming though. Would stick with Weir and Bougherra and ship Broadfoot to right back.

Walts take on the game...he says they have been working on the defence problems as well :rolleyes:

RANGERS manager Walter Smith has warned his side to be wary of the now infamous squiggler' this weekend.

The Ibrox side host Hibs - the last team to beat Rangers at Ibrox back in October 2007 - and having watched John Rankin make a fool of Artur Boruc with the shot a couple of weeks ago, Smith has urged his defence to be on their guard.

"Everyone is aware now that the lad is willing to shoot from 40 yards and these things happen in football," he said.

"We'll just have to handle that if he tries it against us as well."

advertisement

Having beaten Celtic at Easter Road almost a fortnight ago, Smith expects Hibs to be full of confidence ahead of their visit to Ibrox this Saturday.

"Hibs have settled down now after a bit of disruption to their playing staff at the start of the season," said Smith.

"They were trying out a new formation and maybe weren't getting the results they wanted, but they're doing that now.

"They've had a few good wins recently and we are seeing they have players who are capable of causing problems.

"We don't need any reminding Hibs were the last team to beat us there so this is a big game for us, but we have a good home record and we certainly hope that continues."

Smith has also called upon Rangers to address their defensive frailties quickly if they wish to regard themselves as genuine title contenders.

The Ibrox side have lost 14 goals to date this season, but the goals have cost them dearly in away games where big points have been dropped.

"We've lost goals in important games against Dundee United and Hearts recently in situations where we should be looking to do a bit better than we are," Smith told the Rangers News.

"Our defence is something we've been working on and we'll continue to do so."

Broadfoot has too come back in for Whittaker and Bougherra back to the center. At home though we should be focusing more on the attacking way of the first 30 minutes against United. If they don't get much of the ball they can't do us any harm.