Jailed if we do the hokey cokey

minstral

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People.......we are being handed their reputation on a platter here, lets use it to maximum advantage.

This cannot be stressed enough!

This is the opportunity we have all been waiting for, lets show the world what they are really like (tu)

I have never wanted to be at Ibrox for a game more than I want to be there on Saturday :(

We'll just have to start a little hokey cokey then :pipe:

We need to do it with full actions. The whole shabbang. Make it look absolutely ridiculous. When you put your left arm in, make sure you straighten your arm. It needs to look like a joke...because thats exactly what it is! I cannot wait to see Ibrox doing the hokey cokey.

I may even dawn a priests costume for maximum effect.

Guest johngers

You put your left leg in

Your left leg out

In, out, in, out,

shake it all about.

You do the Hokey Cokey and you turn around

That's what it's all about...

Whoa, the hokey cokey,

Whoa, the hokey cokey,

Whoa, the hokey cokey,

Knees bent, arms stretched, ra ra ra!

People.......we are being handed their reputation on a platter here, lets use it to maximum advantage.

This cannot be stressed enough!

This is the opportunity we have all been waiting for, lets show the world what they are really like (tu)

I have never wanted to be at Ibrox for a game more than I want to be there on Saturday :(

We'll just have to start a little hokey cokey then :pipe:

(tu)

HomeNewsUK NewsScotland NewsMY PThe Sunday TimesDecember 21, 2008

Do the Hokey Cokey and you end up in the pokey

Church and politicians fear mockery of Catholic Mass in Puritan song may be hijacked by bigotsJason Allardyce

YOU put your right leg in . . . It’s a dance-floor favourite at family gatherings and a good indicator of when elderly aunts have had enough sherry.

But, as the party season gets into full swing, the Catholic church and politicians in Scotland have warned that singing the Hokey Cokey could get you arrested because it contains a sinister, sectarian message. They claim the ditty was composed by Puritans during the 18th century to mock the language and actions used by priests at Latin Mass and could be hijacked by bigots.

Supporters of Rangers football club have been banned from singing sectarian songs at the club’s ground but discussions are taking place on fan websites about singing the Hokey Cokey at matches. Politicians have urged the police to arrest anyone caught singing the song in a sectarian context under legislation on incitement to religious hatred.

“This song does have quite disturbing origins. It was devised as an attack on, and a parody of, the Catholic Mass,” said Peter Kearney, a spokesman for the Catholic church in Scotland. “If there are moves to restore its more malevolent meaning then consideration should perhaps be given to its wider use.”

SNP MSP Michael Matheson said: “It is important that the police and football clubs are aware of the sinister background to this song, and take the appropriate action against individuals and groups who use it at matches or in other situations to taunt Catholics.”

The church says the title derives from “hocus-pocus”. The phrase is said to ridicule the words used by priests in the Eucharist, “hoc est enim corpus meum”, or “this is my body”.

this is unreal. :unsure:

Most gers fans wouldnt know that but do now - I expect big renditions of it now !

HomeNewsUK NewsScotland NewsMY PThe Sunday TimesDecember 21, 2008

Do the Hokey Cokey and you end up in the pokey

Church and politicians fear mockery of Catholic Mass in Puritan song may be hijacked by bigotsJason Allardyce

YOU put your right leg in . . . It’s a dance-floor favourite at family gatherings and a good indicator of when elderly aunts have had enough sherry.

But, as the party season gets into full swing, the Catholic church and politicians in Scotland have warned that singing the Hokey Cokey could get you arrested because it contains a sinister, sectarian message. They claim the ditty was composed by Puritans during the 18th century to mock the language and actions used by priests at Latin Mass and could be hijacked by bigots.

Supporters of Rangers football club have been banned from singing sectarian songs at the club’s ground but discussions are taking place on fan websites about singing the Hokey Cokey at matches. Politicians have urged the police to arrest anyone caught singing the song in a sectarian context under legislation on incitement to religious hatred.

“This song does have quite disturbing origins. It was devised as an attack on, and a parody of, the Catholic Mass,” said Peter Kearney, a spokesman for the Catholic church in Scotland. “If there are moves to restore its more malevolent meaning then consideration should perhaps be given to its wider use.”

SNP MSP Michael Matheson said: “It is important that the police and football clubs are aware of the sinister background to this song, and take the appropriate action against individuals and groups who use it at matches or in other situations to taunt Catholics.”

The church says the title derives from “hocus-pocus”. The phrase is said to ridicule the words used by priests in the Eucharist, “hoc est enim corpus meum”, or “this is my body”.

this is unreal. :unsure:

Most gers fans wouldnt know that but do now - I expect ig renditions of it now !

This could have ramifications on our wager Bp9, there's a whole new dimension been added to the scenario. I shall be returning this tube of lubricant to the suppliers in the morning!

This could have ramifications on our wager Bp9, there's a whole new dimension been added to the scenario. I shall be returning this tube of lubricant to the suppliers in the morning!

Seen this wager mentioned a few times noo :sherlock:

Wits the wager for us nosey folk ? :craphead:

If any Rangers fan gets lifted on Saturday for singing TFIO, Bp9 is my bhitch for a week, and vice versa if no-one gets nicked for it.This includes agreeing with each others opinions & backing each other up in disputes. Its a galling prospect tbh, but i still reckon i'm safe, despite me advocating that everyone sings the Hokey Cokey instead. Guaranteed, some drunken erse will get hoyed out next week & i'll be proved correct. I think thats what we agreed, i was drinking at the time.......... :pipe:

They claim the ditty was composed by Puritans during the 18th century to mock the language and actions used by priests at Latin Mass

Must be hilarious to watch mass then if the priest gets on the way most people do when doing the actions to this song.

Guest Andypendek

It's true, the Puritans were well known for their use of satire to mock their enemies. Rarely bothering to use physical violence, they preferred a well honed musical joke to get their message across. Indeed, it's a well known fact that Cromwell himself started out doing a stand-up routine, down at the 'Laughing Cavalier' open-mike spots.

Have you ever read such a load of ill educated garbage in your life?

Presumably the MSP involved doesn't wish to get re-elected/is mentally ill.

If any Rangers fan gets lifted on Saturday for singing TFIO, Bp9 is my bhitch for a week, and vice versa if no-one gets nicked for it.This includes agreeing with each others opinions & backing each other up in disputes. Its a galling prospect tbh, but i still reckon i'm safe, despite me advocating that everyone sings the Hokey Cokey instead. Guaranteed, some drunken erse will get hoyed out next week & i'll be proved correct. I think thats what we agreed, i was drinking at the time.......... :pipe:

I tend to side with you on this. Somebody will get lifted. Whether we hear about it right away or are able to prove it though is another story. (tu)

It's true, the Puritans were well known for their use of satire to mock their enemies. Rarely bothering to use physical violence, they preferred a well honed musical joke to get their message across. Indeed, it's a well known fact that Cromwell himself started out doing a stand-up routine, down at the 'Laughing Cavalier' open-mike spots.

Have you ever read such a load of ill educated garbage in your life?

Presumably the MSP involved doesn't wish to get re-elected/is mentally ill.

They will be madder than a bag of crabs get it right up them :unionflag:

I tend to side with you on this. Somebody will get lifted. Whether we hear about it right away or are able to prove it though is another story. (tu)

The deal was struck before all this Hokey Cokey stuff was mentioned. I'm inclined to welch out here, on a technicality, but don't want to lose face (on this faceless board).