Jailed if we do the hokey cokey

minstral

do they not sing the hokey cokey for the koko mizuno boy the have??

has he ever played in the 1st team??? he has went right off the radar <cr>

I don't think he's even played 90mins for their reserves. A freind of a freind who plays for St Mirren reserves said when they played the celtic reserves, Koko looked as though he had never seen a football before.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my word how ridiculous is this getting. They do the hokey cokey on kids programmes on tv ffs. Are we going to ban them for being sectarian now? This song has been around for decades, why are they now saying its anti catholic????

HomeNewsUK NewsScotland NewsMY PThe Sunday TimesDecember 21, 2008

Do the Hokey Cokey and you end up in the pokey

Church and politicians fear mockery of Catholic Mass in Puritan song may be hijacked by bigotsJason Allardyce

YOU put your right leg in . . . It’s a dance-floor favourite at family gatherings and a good indicator of when elderly aunts have had enough sherry.

But, as the party season gets into full swing, the Catholic church and politicians in Scotland have warned that singing the Hokey Cokey could get you arrested because it contains a sinister, sectarian message. They claim the ditty was composed by Puritans during the 18th century to mock the language and actions used by priests at Latin Mass and could be hijacked by bigots.

Supporters of Rangers football club have been banned from singing sectarian songs at the club’s ground but discussions are taking place on fan websites about singing the Hokey Cokey at matches. Politicians have urged the police to arrest anyone caught singing the song in a sectarian context under legislation on incitement to religious hatred.

“This song does have quite disturbing origins. It was devised as an attack on, and a parody of, the Catholic Mass,” said Peter Kearney, a spokesman for the Catholic church in Scotland. “If there are moves to restore its more malevolent meaning then consideration should perhaps be given to its wider use.”

SNP MSP Michael Matheson said: “It is important that the police and football clubs are aware of the sinister background to this song, and take the appropriate action against individuals and groups who use it at matches or in other situations to taunt Catholics.”

The church says the title derives from “hocus-pocus”. The phrase is said to ridicule the words used by priests in the Eucharist, “hoc est enim corpus meum”, or “this is my body”.

this is unreal. :unsure:

sadly minstral - it is real

i find it amazing that a so called church that burned thousands of "heretics" at the stake just because they didnt believe the lies the catholic church told them is now complaining over an innocent kids song that MIGHT be mocking them. Incredible.

this is a oppurtunity we have been waiting for to show these mhanks up, lets get it belted out from the rafters!! and they have absolute no comeback on it(if we stick to the correct lyrics) as there is evidence against them singing it with reference to h***, which theyre club has banned them from using!!!

This is a gift from the Gods. Ditch TFS and get this belted out on Saturday, using the standard lyrics, although I quite like this version....

you put your left arm up, your right arm down

you drop the ball to miller and your looking like a clown,

you do the holy goalie, and you turn around

next thing your 4-1 down

OH FUCK YOUR HOLY GOALIE

OH FUCK YOUR HOLY GOALIE

Sooner or later their constant bitching about being offended by everything would come back and bite them on their collective unwashed asses, this is the ideal opportunity to show them up for the offended laughing stock we all know them to be.

Then on the Monday, get writing to your MSP, newspapers, UEFA and anybody else that will listen. All done under the guise of being a Celtic fan and um poor ufended so a um.

Flood the phone-ins about those big bad bigoted Rangers fans singing that offensive ditty The Hokey Cokey. Remember though, if you want to pull off mimicking a Celtic fan, don't be articulate. You'll have to master the trademark nasal whine of your average mhank, I recommend a clothes peg over your nose and get someone to punch your throat just before you go on air.

Why? They'll be doing it themselves.....in their thousands, especially if we go top next Saturday.

This is a gift from the Gods. Ditch TFS and get this belted out on Saturday, using the standard lyrics, although I quite like this version....

you put your left arm up, your right arm down

you drop the ball to miller and your looking like a clown,

you do the holy goalie, and you turn around

next thing your 4-1 down

OH FUCK YOUR HOLY GOALIE

OH FUCK YOUR HOLY GOALIE

Then on the Monday, get writing to your MSP, newspapers, UEFA and anybody else that will listen. All done under the guise of being a Celtic fan and um poor ufended so a um.

Flood the phone-ins about those big bad bigoted Rangers fans singing that offensive ditty The Hokey Cokey. Remember though, if you want to pull off mimicking a Celtic fan, don't be articulate. You'll have to master the trademark nasal whine of your average mhank, I recommend a clothes peg over your nose and get someone to punch your throat just before you go on air.

Sooner or later their constant bitching about being offended by everything would come back and bite them on their collective unwashed asses, this is the ideal opportunity to show them up for the offended laughing stock we all know them to be.

Really not the thing to be posting mate. Why give them the opportunity of an easy defense: "It was the Rangers fans complaining pretending to be us."

I hope nobody takes your advice. We'll supply the rope, let them hang themselves (tu)

Google is my friend on this one.

Hmm…… well ….back in 17th century Puritan England anything ‘popish’

or Roman Catholic was viewed with great suspicion and open to, at best,

ridicule. The Hokey-Cokey, with its song and actions, is a mimicry of the

Roman Catholic Mass. In those days the priest faced the altar (not the

people) and performed several actions as he consecrated the bread and wine

at Holy Communion. The words of the service were in Latin. You put your

left arm in ……etc was ridiculing the priest as he lifted his arms

heavenward during the rite. You do the Hokey- Cokey and you turn

around………… was when the priest turned to face the congregation with

the host (consecrated bread) to offer it to them.

Ooooh, the Hokey-Cokey……… hokey-cokey is a corruption of the Latin

words of consecration - Hoc est corpus: ‘This is my body’ (Note: many of

the strange words and phrases of our language are corruptions of other

languages introduced to our country over the years and few were educated

enough to speak or understand Latin). Knees bend, arm stretch,

ra-ra-ra……. knees bend is a ridicule of the genuflection (a kind of

religious curtsey to the altar) of the priest, arm stretch is when he holds

up his hands at the point of consecration in the service, and ra-ra-ra is

just a mimicry of the Latin words and prayers they didn’t understand.

I still think it would be laughable if someone got jailed for a singing a song they teach at almost every primary school in the UK.

Thanks for that.

I was not aware of the origins or connotations of the song and thought it was just for fun. I would imagine I am not in the minority.

It makes me laugh to think how many papes must have sung this over the years and not known the significance of what they were doing.

If many more songs get banned we'll be able to bring out a Greatest Hits compilation.