Has Boyd blown it?

Muff

Boyd as i have said before was given no service and the good runs he made were wrongly flagged offside

After 60mins of being a lone striker because of Miller dropping deep things got very tough for him and his head dropped

He wasnt the worst or the best and had an off game like many others

things got very tough for him and his head dropped ???????

That is the difference between an average player and an excellent player. To stand up and get fucked in when things are not going your way.ie Bomber brown, Richard Gough, Stuart Mccoll.

Fuck me how hard is it to up the effort, You dont need to be Maradona (obviously) but 1-0 down 30 mins to go at least make the soap dodging bastards work for the points

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boyd as i have said before was given no service and the good runs he made were wrongly flagged offside

After 60mins of being a lone striker because of Miller dropping deep things got very tough for him and his head dropped

mate, i'm hurting as next as the next bear but fuckin hell, thats cringworthy reading.

as soon as we went 1-0 down it never looked as if we were going to score, also notice papac went and took the last corner instead of davis obviously i am not the only one that thinks he is garbage at them. The free kick towards the end was a complete mess by boyd also that should have been chipped over the wall rather than blasted straight into it, boyd has scored one good free kick....against queen of the south i dont see why he is our free kick taker surely there must be someone better

It's crazy to lay the blame for this failure at one man's feet, Boyd's. He is only one part of what is a poor team.

No-one is blaming it all on Boyd, we're only asking whether Boyd should play in these type of games. From his record, which is about 1 goal in 15-20 games against Celtc, it looks like he shouldn't.

Let's not beat about the bush, both Boyd and Miller were poor today despite the fact they had decent enough service in the first half.

I've been one of Miller's biggest defenders, but i thought the tarriers in the Broomloan really got to him today.

Miller's been poor for the last 3 games. I think he should be replaced with Lafferty upfront.

mate, i'm hurting as next as the next bear but fuckin hell, thats cringworthy reading.

I dont blame officials for the defeat but 3 great Boyd runs off the defenders were wrongly flagged

They do make a difference

Its annoying for me because we know what Boyd is capable off and too judge him on this one game is just plain shit

It's crazy to lay the blame for this failure at one man's feet, Boyd's. He is only one part of what is a poor team.

No-one is blaming it all on Boyd, we're only asking whether Boyd should play in these type of games. From his record, which is about 1 goal in 15-20 games against Celtc, it looks like he shouldn't.

end of.

we have these arguements and talks week in week out about boyd, they go nowhere :rolleyes:

I see what you mean Craigy, the stats don't lie on this one.

Personally, I would still have started with him and in hindsight got Novo on earlier than he was.

Let's not beat about the bush, both Boyd and Miller were poor today despite the fact they had decent enough service in the first half.

I've been one of Miller's biggest defenders, but i thought the tarriers in the Broomloan really got to him today.

Miller's been poor for the last 3 games. I think he should be replaced with Lafferty upfront.

Miller is shite, 5-6 good games, a double at the piggery and a cracker at Easter Road means fcuk all.

I can't wait for the day he leaves. He's another one that unless injured or suspended, will never be dropped :angry2:

Miller is shite, 5-6 good games, a double at the piggery and a cracker at Easter Road means fcuk all.

I can't wait for the day he leaves. He's another one that unless injured or suspended, will never be dropped :angry2:

Miller's been one of our top 3 players this season.

I think it's ridiculous to suggest he's been shite for us.

Do we really need to bring his Kilmarnock record into it?

Do they not count or something?

as much as his 80 odd other goals for rangers

maybe we should have played nacho today seeing as he has scored more goals v celtic than anyone else in our squad

maybe we should have played nacho today seeing as he has scored more goals v celtic than anyone else in our squad

We're talking about him being suited to these type of games and his stats show he isn't. There's no denying Boyd is a very good goalscorer against so called smaller teams but there's a reason he doesn't get a sniff of the bigger games.

Of course they do but his Rangers records are still the main concern i think, not that they make pretty reading either. Hes played 5 times against Celtic for us if i remember right?

We're talking about him being suited to these type of games and his stats show he isn't. There's no denying Boyd is a very good goalscorer against so called smaller teams but there's a reason he doesn't get a sniff of the bigger games.

He did also score twice against us for Kilmarnock. :craphead:

Of course they do but his Rangers records are still the main concern i think, not that they make pretty reading either. Hes played 5 times against Celtic for us if i remember right?

Aye, 1 in 5 for us and 0 in 12 for Kilmarnock.

His records against the smaller teams are phenomenal but he isn't a big game player.

Boyd was far from our worst player today. He was better than Miller who played far too deep and had very poor control. Many a good move broke down today due to Miller's poor first touch. Add to that a great lack of width. More than anything else we need a quality winger.

Miller's been one of our top 3 players this season.

I think it's ridiculous to suggest he's been shite for us.

He may well be in our top 5 I'd concede but he's still a shite player who looks good in a shite team.

KRIS BOYD has worked long and hard to convince Walter Smith that he can be relied upon to start Old Firm games, but it only took an instant for him to return to square one.

The 18 goals beside Boyd's name, and a renewed flair for the less glamorous aspects of the striker's role, had prompted Rangers to reverse their previous policy on the player, which had limited him to just 242 of a possible 990 minutes in this fixture, and seen the last five Glasgow derbies come and go without him even getting on the park, twice not making the match squad and the other three times being left on the bench.

But after 46 minutes, Barry Ferguson's pass presented Boyd with his personal Old Firm epiphany. It was the kind of chance, running through on goal, that he usually swats away with disdain. The Ibrox crowd rose to its feet in anticipation.

But this was Artur Boruc and Celtic we were talking about. The Pole stayed big, getting his torso in the way, leaving Boyd so startled that he couldn't regain his composure in time to prevent the ball ricocheting back off him and going out for a goal kick.

When the dust had settled, Boyd still had one Old Firm goal to his name in his four starts to date, in a 2-0 win at this venue in May 2007. It is still one more goal than he achieved against Celtic as a Kilmarnock player.

And quite apart from anything else, the moment proved the turning point in this particular game, and who knows possibly even the SPL title race itself. Play raged to the other end and before long Scott McDonald, his perennial rival in the SPL top scorers' stakes, was turning away from Broadfoot and dispatching a searing volley into Allan McGregor's top corner.

It was a half chance compared to Boyd's, but that will not enter into the history books. They will merely find room for the fact that it was McDonald's eighth of the season and his 39th as a Celtic player in less than 18 months at the club. Regardless of the Boyd debate, it is McDonald who had been the most accomplished striker on show. "Goals win you games and they managed to get the goal," said Rangers midfielder Charlie Adam afterwards, a player who seems to have the opposite of Boyd's problems, in that he seems to start Old Firm games but miss out on the more routine fixtures.

"It has been like that over the last few years - the first goal probably changes the game," he said.

Even more galling for the home side was that this was their first home league defeat in 2008, despite the fact they had been the dominant side for much of the first 45 minutes. "We had a lot of possession in the first half, and maybe we had the opportunities, and if we had taken one of the chances we would have got the first goal," Adam said. "But we never did that and Celtic managed to make the breakthrough. It is tough for us to take it with the unbeaten run that we have had at home, but we will take it, battle back, and there is still a long way to go."

McDonald, who managed to score more goals against Celtic in two minutes in May as a Motherwell player than Boyd has managed in his entire career, also issued a reminder of the unwritten law of missed opportunities.

"If you get a chance you've really got to take it because in these games and European games you are playing against good-quality of players and if you don't take it you might get punished," McDonald added. "In recent games I think we have had a couple of chances, and not really been able to take them, especially the last time here when we lost 1-0. Artur has kept us in it, we came out a bit cold in the second half, and put a little bit of pressure on it, but it was a great save and kept us in the game."

The biggest conundrum facing McDonald afterwards was whether this goal was better than the one he scored against Manchester United in the Champions League earlier in the season, or whether Georgios Samaras or the fit-again Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink would partner him at home against Dundee United next week.

"It is up there among the best of my career although I don't know if it beats my Manchester United one, that was a bit special," he said. "But I couldn't have hit it any sweeter and it is always nice when your fans are behind the goal.

"I have managed to roll the defender with my chest, it seemed like it was bouncing for ages, and I had to wait for it to come down but I couldn't have hit it better. Sammy Samaras has been injured for a long time, and it has taken a time for us to click but I think you are starting to see that now - although big Jan is back now so it is going to be a fight for all three of us to play."

Whether Boyd is still in possession when the next Old Firm match comes around also remains to be seen.

http://www.sundayherald.com/sport/shfootba...yd_blown_it.php

In my eyes, Boyd should never have started. Yesterday proved that we'd be better off leaving him out of tough, tight matches!

The begging from Boyd to play him in this match started to get embarrassing and I think Smith eventually gave in.

And another thing, give me McDonald over Boyd every day of the week. We missed out there(in which I now await the, Boyd scores more goals than him pish - look at the bigger picture!)

Mcdonald is pish, dont give us that. However your other points maybe correct. Lot more to blame than Boyd for todays performace however.