Maybe I'm just getting old and cynical...

papaguy51

I remember the days when I used to look forward to going to Aberdeen and Tannadice because I KNEW we were going to play them off the park.

Oh how things have changed.

It's awfully frustrating to watch how much respect we give other teams, especially teams like Aberdeen and Dundee Utd who we used to regularly thrash within an inch of their lives. I've not looked forward to watching a game against the top 6 away from home for ages, it's disgusting that this should be the case as a Rangers fan.

I actually agreed with today's formation, but not the Walter Smith version or the personnel involved. I really want to see the steamy text messages that go on between Walter and his lover big Lee, because it would give me a fucking brilliant start to life as a journalist. Walter's constant selection of McCulloch or Adam for big games is baffling and if he goes with either one for the Celtic game then it's confirmed that he has well and truly not only lost his marbles, but is too cowardly to trust any youth.

As daft as it sounds, our 4-4-2 has been shocking recently and doesn't work with Barry and Mendes, especially when the more talented player in Pedro is covering for Barry 70% of the time. It was also important to stop Aberdeen (at times, not for the whole fucking game) when they built up a head of steam.

They were top of the form league (last 8 games) going into today's match, so let's not forget that.

The tip of today's 4-5-1 should have been something like: Fleck - Boyd - Novo.

Yes, I'd have played Boyd. And before anyone murders me, go back and look at what I've said this week. Although he has been brutal at Pittodrie more recently, I really thought he'd stick one away today. If we'd played the ball on the deck with Fleck and Novo (or another right winger), I'd have fancied us to do them.

Are there any positives? McGregor's getting back to his game-saving best, Fleck started (so well done Walter, but one youngster in 3 years is nothing) and we didn't lose. That's about it. I could possibly add the fact that the answer to the left sided problem is now sorted. It's wee Fleck by a country mile and he should now be a regular in the team, no questions asked.

I'm convinced that the players are so detached from how the fans feel that they just aren't getting themselves up for games any more. Maybe Walter's lost his fight and the players see Ally as some sort of 'comedy assistant', because our lack of effort kills me.

Four points isn't the end of the world, but it's time to ditch the tried and tested failures and go with something different. Our away record is embarrassing and it's going to take a brave move to end it.

Ball's in your court Walter.

4-1-4-1 automatically rules Boyd out. Playing Fleck -- Boyd--- Novo wouldn't have worked either

I agree with the formation, but not the personnel. Still too mant square pegs in round holes, so no matter what formation we play it wont be applied right.

What gets me is that some people think if we had played Boyd we would have won, Something we have failed to do already this season.

4-1-4-1 automatically rules Boyd out. Playing Fleck -- Boyd--- Novo wouldn't have worked either

I agree with the formation, but not the personnel. Still too mant square pegs in round holes, so no matter what formation we play it wont be applied right.

What gets me is that some people think if we had played Boyd we would have won, Something we have failed to do already this season.

I think that maybe, just maybe, if we played a 4-5-1 correctly with two REAL wingers, it might just work with Boyd.

Unfortunately I can't see him ever getting the chance to play it correctly under Smith.

The other alternative is to sell Boyd, Miller, Velicka and Novo for some decent cash and bring in one or two quality strikers that are comfy playing that role.

Sorry but I'm not long back from Aberdeen and Big Lee did very well in his defensive role today even though he should never have been near the team to start with, Miller never kicked his arse again today and hasn't really done much since the hibs game so why does Smith continually play him ?

as for the formation what a shambles it was high balls all day long when Miller has never been a target man in his life <cr>, I actually agree with whats been said on here before about playing long balls in training the players should get wages deducted for punting balls tae nae cunt :angry: what a kick in the teeth it must be to Kris Boyd to play so well all season and won us the three points on sat then get dropped against the fuckin sheep today <cr>

Fleck was the only player who seemed to have some desire to run at players today and was never brought into the game in the second half before he was subbed and as for Mr Ferguson i don't know how he can call himself a Rangers captain as i honestly cant remember the last time he actually went out and lead the team like a Grieg or Gough.

but on a positive note bring on the Falkirk then Dundee UTD :lol:

Sorry but I'm not long back from Aberdeen and Big Lee did very well in his defensive role today even though he should never have been near the team to start with, Miller never kicked his arse again today and hasn't really done much since the hibs game so why does Smith continually play him ?

as for the formation what a shambles it was, what a kick in the teeth it must be to Kris Boyd to play so well all season and win us the three points on sat then get dropped against the fuckin sheep today <cr>

Fleck was the only player who seemed to have some desire to run at players today and was never brought into the game in the second half before he was subbed and as for Mr Ferguson i don't know how he can call himself a Rangers captain as i honestly cant remember the last time he actually went out and lead the team like a Grieg or Gough.

I'll stand by a 4-5-1 being the right thing to do, but it HAD to change to a 4-3-3 when we were attacking.

Smith's 4-5-1 is simply that and is static for the whole game.

I remember the days when I used to look forward to going to Aberdeen and Tannadice because I KNEW we were going to play them off the park.

Oh how things have changed.

It's awfully frustrating to watch how much respect we give other teams, especially teams like Aberdeen and Dundee Utd who we used to regularly thrash within an inch of their lives. I've not looked forward to watching a game against the top 6 away from home for ages, it's disgusting that this should be the case as a Rangers fan.

I actually agreed with today's formation, but not the Walter Smith version or the personnel involved. I really want to see the steamy text messages that go on between Walter and his lover big Lee, because it would give me a fucking brilliant start to life as a journalist. Walter's constant selection of McCulloch or Adam for big games is baffling and if he goes with either one for the Celtic game then it's confirmed that he has well and truly not only lost his marbles, but is too cowardly to trust any youth.

As daft as it sounds, our 4-4-2 has been shocking recently and doesn't work with Barry and Mendes, especially when the more talented player in Pedro is covering for Barry 70% of the time. It was also important to stop Aberdeen (at times, not for the whole fucking game) when they built up a head of steam.

They were top of the form league (last 8 games) going into today's match, so let's not forget that.

The tip of today's 4-5-1 should have been something like: Fleck - Boyd - Novo.

Yes, I'd have played Boyd. And before anyone murders me, go back and look at what I've said this week. Although he has been brutal at Pittodrie more recently, I really thought he'd stick one away today. If we'd played the ball on the deck with Fleck and Novo (or another right winger), I'd have fancied us to do them.

Are there any positives? McGregor's getting back to his game-saving best, Fleck started (so well done Walter, but one youngster in 3 years is nothing) and we didn't lose. That's about it. I could possibly add the fact that the answer to the left sided problem is now sorted. It's wee Fleck by a country mile and he should now be a regular in the team, no questions asked.

I'm convinced that the players are so detached from how the fans feel that they just aren't getting themselves up for games any more. Maybe Walter's lost his fight and the players see Ally as some sort of 'comedy assistant', because our lack of effort kills me.

Four points isn't the end of the world, but it's time to ditch the tried and tested failures and go with something different. Our away record is embarrassing and it's going to take a brave move to end it.

Ball's in your court Walter.

I never even knew these days :(

I'm only 23 and I can't believe I'm coming out with minstral-ised quotes :(

Twas screaming out for the 442 though, with Boyd & MacNovo up front. Miller's been pish but in the same token Davis has hardly been inspiring of late??

Not a chance of 4-4-2 for me.

Aberdeen would have overrun our three man midfield with Fergie looking like he's on his holidays.

I don't have a problem with the 4-5-1, but it depends on the personnel as you say. If we'd played something more like

-----------Ferguson--------------

-----Davis---------Mendes------

Novo------------------------Fleck

------------Naismith--------------

I'd have been a lot happier with it. Boyd isn't the ideal choice as a lone striker, but even from someone who isn't his biggest fan, he couldn't have done much worse than Miller did today. Once again it took our players far too long to realise that booting the ball up the field to Miller wasn't going to achieve anything. When we played the ball on the deck, usually via Mendes and Fleck, we played some decent attacking football. Not even going to bother with the selection of McCulloch :anguish:

As for the showing teams too much respect part, I totally agree. Many posters seem to think that playing a 4-5-1 was us playing for a draw, but I disagree. If the team selection had been better, and we'd started off the game like we finished it, I think we would have murdered them.

as for the formation what a shambles it was, what a kick in the teeth it must be to Kris Boyd to play so well all season and win us the three points on sat then get dropped against the fuckin sheep today <cr>

I'll stand by a 4-5-1 being the right thing to do, but it HAD to change to a 4-3-3 when we were attacking.

Smith's 4-5-1 is simply that and is static for the whole game.

Tbh, if we play a 3 then we must have the 3 in their half at all times.

we do not have the personnel to play 4-5-1

i cannot beleive rangers now change their way of playing because of the fear of Aberdeen

we had a chance to go top of the league and we reverted to the system that we played last year when we lost the legue

the formation and tactics and choice of personel were an embarassment to our club

we got exactly what we deserved

a draw

In a startling turn of events, am agreeing with Papa and boab!

As you said, 3 up top with boyd, we NEED the other 2 to be the likes of Fleck or Naismith, both of whom can play wide/winger type games, but will also drift in and support

Centre mids when fit

Fergie

Mendes

Edu

Davis

Thomson

Fleck (Can play off the striker)

Could get a great 3 out of those 6, that would boss the midfield

That leaves us with

Aaron

Fleck

Naismith

Lafferty

Novo

Boyd

Velicka

Miller

Surely we could find 3 that work well together and go with a proper 4-3-3

Centre mids when fit

Fergie

Mendes

Edu

Davis

Thomson

Fleck (Can play off the striker)

Could get a great 3 out of those 5, that would boss the midfield

That leaves us with

Aaron

Fleck

Naismith

Lafferty

Novo

Boyd

Velicka

Miller

Surely we could find 3 that work well together and go with a proper 4-3-3

You would hope wouldnt you!

personally i would have opted for a 4-1-3-2 yesterday

fergie protecting the back 4 WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS TO GIVE THE BALL TO MIDFIELD ASAP

mendes,davis and naismith as the 3 man midfield, gives the option of going wide or going narrow

and boyd and novo upfront, the wee man would have ran the sheep backline ragged and just once in the game boyd would have got his chance i believe

i cannot beleive rangers now change their way of playing because of the fear of Aberdeen

we had a chance to go top of the league and we reverted to the system that we played last year when we lost the legue

the formation and tactics and choice of personel were an embarassment to our club

a draw

4-4-2 leaves us far too exposed when both central midfielders aren't 100%.

We've lost a fair bit of Mendes since Thomson got injured IMO, he's doing too much work to cover for Ferguson.

a draw

4-4-2 leaves us far too exposed when both central midfielders aren't 100%.

We've lost a fair bit of Mendes since Thomson got injured IMO, he's doing too much work to cover for Ferguson.

papaguy51, you should join my attacking gang and leave that boring smith to his own devices. he will soon be heading to the same old folks home as myself, only he has lost his marbles before i have, but dont worry i will look after him and show him dvds of good old rangers attacking sides. :21:

Fleck shouldn't have been subbed. And miller should be no where near the starting line up. Boyd done more with what little time he had on the park he had than miller did.

disagree slightly mate fleck was poor in second half though it would be a tough choice maybe davis could have been subbed

misser shouldnt even be starting never mind getting the chance to be subbed

I knew Fleck would be subbed for Novo between the 60th-75th minute, regardless of his performance. Even said it to my old man before I left for work.

So predictable from Walter yet again.

I know what you mean. You wonder what the thinking is in taking off one the better performers.

Fleck shouldn't have been subbed. And miller should be no where near the starting line up. Boyd done more with what little time he had on the park he had than miller did.

disagree slightly mate fleck was poor in second half though it would be a tough choice maybe davis could have been subbed

misser shouldnt even be starting never mind getting the chance to be subbed

But, like Davis, even when he's not playing at 100% he's still better than the other options.

And, also like Davis, he's also about ten times more likely to create a goal from nothing when compared to the others.