The Rangers Miscellany

Boab

Got this book at the book stall at work today, something with the name on the front of Robert McElroy looked like a good shout, looks a cracking wee book after a few skims of it. Got it for £4 with it supposed to be £10.

Anybody else got it?

Got this book at the book stall at work today, something with the name on the front of Robert McElroy looked like a good shout, looks a cracking wee book after a few skims of it. Got it for £4 with it supposed to be £10.

Anybody else got it?

got a older one by john white which is a good read.

Anybody else got it?

got a older one by john white which is a good read.

I have both. Both are very good, but I'd say that a few of the things in mcelroy's are wierd. Why did he think that Gornik Zabrze was a good european night? But both of them are full of interesting stuff (tu)

Quick review from a competition I'm running elsewhere:

After being asked to review 'The Rangers Miscellany', the wait for it hitting the floor behind the letterbox seemed to take an age. One week to be exact. Extracting it from the packaging, a blue hardback book with a red binding and white lettering emerged.

'The Rangers Miscellany' is a book written by Robert McElroy, who is the editor of The Rangers Historian magazine. The book starts with a foreword by John Greig MBE who gives a short summing up of his Rangers career. His foreword ends with “This is more than a football club, it is an Institution that means so much to so many people worldwide. Even today more than half-a-century after I first gazed on the imposing façade that is the main stand at Ibrox Stadium it still gives me a thrill every time I turn into Edmiston Drive.” These are Great words from a great man, with a true Rangers heart.

The book is precisely what the title suggests, a fascinating collection of facts, statistics, quotes and short stories. It includes many stories of past Rangers legends, from Tom Vallance(1873-84) through to Ally McCoist(1983-98) and Richard Gough(1987-98). Many of the legends are still household names even today.

Some of our greatest European nights are also relived, including our Cup Winners' Cup win in Barcelona. Rangers Managers are highlighted from William Wilton to Walter Smith and a history of our stadiums from turning up early at Flesher’s Haugh to claim the pitch, to having the most modern stadium in Europe. These main topics are surrounded by a collection of miscellaneous facts, figures and quotes.

This is not a book that you have to torture yourself to put down in my opinion. In fact after a number of pages my head was so swimming in facts and figures that I just had to put it down. It is more like a whisky you have to sip rather than a beer you can guzzle down. This is a book for the connoisseur of Rangers history.

I enjoyed the book as I can relate to many of the names and stories through my own experiences and the stories of my father. I do believe it is a book for the supporter who is interested in our clubs history. Not for someone who wants an enthralling, suspenseful read. Nonetheless it makes for an excellent companion and you'll find yourself enjoying the trivia when in the company of fellow fans!

:)

Brilliant easy read, profiles on past legends, loads of stats, facts and historical notes :ph34r: , should be a must for all Bears and then they should be tested on it before being allowed into Ibrox!

Welcome to RangersMedia BSM. :541: