A really quite sad case

Danny

November 2006 was the last time Steven Smith was seen in the first team.

A bad injury ceased his participation and left us having to bring on Julien Rodriguez in the left back position against Auxerre, something which knocked us badly off our stride in that match.

Smith was about 21 when this happened, and while he perhaps wasn't in the same league as Numan, and had much to learn about positional sense and defending, he gave a definite balance on the left wing when he played and was missed in that sense when the injury happened.

He was definitely one for the future, and was touted as a possible captain. We all looked forward to seeing a developed Smith complimenting Hutton on the other side. Sadly that was never to happen.

Now, after over 2 years out, he's regarded as a lost cause, a player the management appear to have written off. Someone we're trying to farm out to St Mirren.

It's another sad case of 'what might have been'.

Stevie Smith was a brilliant player, can remember the tackle he got injured and was gutted tbh when I heard he was going to be out for so long. At that time he was better than Hutton by a fair margin in my opinion. Such a pity a great talent has gone to waste.

Stevie Smith was a brilliant player, can remember the tackle he got injured and was gutted tbh when I heard he was going to be out for so long. At that time he was better than Hutton by a fair margin in my opinion. Such a pity a great talent has gone to waste.

I don't think the tackle you refer to was the route cause of his injury problems. I'm sure he had struggled with his back and pelvis all through his career since a teenager and was playing through the pain barrier.

just imagine how good our defence could of been if we still had cuellar hutton and smith...:(

-----------Shagger----------

Hutton--Cuellar--Bougherra--Smith

-----Davis--Mendes--Thomson----

------------ Fleck----------

--------Cousin--Boyd/Naismith

With Smith and Hutton bombing on and providing the width ;)

just imagine how good our defence could of been if we still had cuellar hutton and smith...:(

exactly they were brilliant

I am also worried about Kevin what if he also doesn't get his original form back....this phenomena happens to so many players. Henrik Larsson is one of the only ones I can think of who got his full ability back even after that terrible leg break

I guess there are more but remember Mike Mols as well...he was never the same again and Barry isn't either

-----------Shagger----------

Hutton--Cuellar--Bougherra--Smith

-----Davis--Mendes--Thomson----

------------ Fleck----------

--------Cousin--Boyd/Naismith

With Smith and Hutton bombing on and providing the width ;)

What a team!

I don't think the tackle you refer to was the route cause of his injury problems. I'm sure he had struggled with his back and pelvis all through his career since a teenager and was playing through the pain barrier.

:thumbup:

i hope he goes to the saints and plays well proves he can stay fit ( few months at least) we can see how he has done and maybe bring him back.

Would really like to see him be given one last chance.I think he deserves that after fighting back from career ending injuries,i think rangers owe him that much.

Arguably he's been given the chance to impress already - in the Reserves. Did he not also play against Plastic Whistle last season?

Sad to see what's happened with him. Looked a real prospect.

November 2006 was the last time Steven Smith was seen in the first team.

A bad injury ceased his participation and left us having to bring on Julien Rodriguez in the left back position against Auxerre, something which knocked us badly off our stride in that match.

Smith was about 21 when this happened, and while he perhaps wasn't in the same league as Numan, and had much to learn about positional sense and defending, he gave a definite balance on the left wing when he played and was missed in that sense when the injury happened.

He was definitely one for the future, and was touted as a possible captain. We all looked forward to seeing a developed Smith complimenting Hutton on the other side. Sadly that was never to happen.

Now, after over 2 years out, he's regarded as a lost cause, a player the management appear to have written off. Someone we're trying to farm out to St Mirren.

It's another sad case of 'what might have been'.

Slightly pedantic i know but Stevie played in the Quarters and Semi of the Scottish Cup last season.

His own father didnt think he would be back due to a mystery illness and the illness still hasnt been fully diagnosed although it has been linked to ongoing fitness and injury problems.

It is a real pity, as for me, he was actually better than Hutton prior to this.

Best of luck to him though. (tu)

Smith stood out as arguably our best player during that Le Guen period, but remember how weak we were at the back in the air during that period - Broadfoot certainly helps in that way!

Theres no reason Smith cant be the player he was given the chance