As we are desparate for cash, it's likely that a player will still be sold

Tontospal

I imagine that Newcastle will be very interested if Given goes, whilst Arsenal and Chelsea both need experienced back-ups. Will any of them try and get McGregor for as little as 3m?

An experienced keeper at a good age playing with a big club - surely he fits the bill for a relatively risk-free investment given the EPL cash?

Whilst I have no issue with Alexander taking over from McGregor it would still be nice to have another keeper as back up to him.

Newcastle just gave Steve Harper a new contract.

He is highly rated by a lot of people at the club and a lot of people feel sympathy that he has had to compete with a keeper as good as Given for so long.

I believe that he will be Newcastle's #1 until the Summer at the very least.

Don't know who will go but I reckon someone will.

Newcastle have given, Given the opportunity to speak to Manchester City, although he's injured at the moment. Steve Harper just signed a new deal.

McGregor is now starting to get his form back, the form that he showed last season and he's by far a better keeper than Alexander - Smith and Burley agree anyway and I'm sure most managers would. If McGregor goes then I would be very worried as Alexander doesn't fill me with as much confidence and it would mean Graeme Smith being our number two :anguish:

We are not going to bring anyone in, so if we lose someone like Mendes, McGregor, Bougherra or Davis, then we are in trouble. I don't think the squad is good enough as it is and losing a top player would only weaken us.

Alexander would be fine as number 1 but i would like a better number 2 than Graeme Smith. McGregor is a loss i think we could just about cope with but at the end of the day if one is going it has to be Ferguson, he offers us the least these days out of all the so called superstars.

He is highly rated by a lot of people at the club and a lot of people feel sympathy that he has had to compete with a keeper as good as Given for so long.

But can you, without researching the answer, tell me who is now the No2 keeper to Harper?

I can't and that's why Newcastle signing McGregor would make sense.

I very much doubt that Newcastle have told Harper he is automatic first choice and it is more of a case that they know Given wants to go, they can realise a decent fee for him and they don't want the situation where they could lose 2 keepers.

Having said that, Harper has been a great servant and has been very unlucky not to get more games for Newcastle. IMO Given has been the best in the EPL since Schmeichel and Seaman retired and Cech started wearing his BMX helmet :rolleyes:

But can you, without researching the answer, tell me who is now the No2 keeper to Harper?

I can't and that's why Newcastle signing McGregor would make sense.

I very much doubt that Newcastle have told Harper he is automatic first choice and it is more of a case that they know Given wants to go, they can realise a decent fee for him and they don't want the situation where they could lose 2 keepers.

Having said that, Harper has been a great servant and has been very unlucky not to get more games for Newcastle. IMO Given has been the best in the EPL since Schmeichel and Seaman retired and Cech started wearing his BMX helmet :rolleyes:

Tim Krul ;)

I just think that with Newcastles squad being blitzed by injury and them already having two very decent keepers on their books Kineaar will look elsewhere before he goes after a keeper.

Krul's a decent keeper. He's still a bit slight but he's got the talent. He was fantastic when Newcastle threw him into their UEFA Cup tie against Palermo a few seasons ago.

Also much, much, much more impressive at Falkirk than the woeful Kasper Schmeichel who seems to be rated on here.

At the moment my guess is no-one will be sold (and the sky won't fall in).

But things can change quickly at this time of year.

ooooh, I'd love to believe this, but I fear Monday will be a bad day for us.

Is that the same Krul who let in 4 against celtc and 7 against us in consecutive games?

A few games for Newcastle and loan spells at the likes of Falkirk and Carlisle don't really compare to the experience McGregor has tbh.

It depends whether Kinnear is happy to go with 'Sherpa' as No1 with 'Cruel' as reserve or whether he wants more experience.

Is that the same Krul who let in 4 against celtc and 7 against us in consecutive games?

A few games for Newcastle and loan spells at the likes of Falkirk and Carlisle don't really compare to the experience McGregor has tbh.

It depends whether Kinnear is happy to go with 'Sherpa' as No1 with 'Cruel' as reserve or whether he wants more experience.

It is indeed, however he too is another player who has a decent enough reputation among Newcastle's coaching staff.

If he wants more experience he could easily pick up a custodian for pennies, even in comparison with the 3 million or so that McGregor would cost, from another Premiership side or even a Championship side.

McGregor is the most likely to go, I just don't think it will be to Newcastle.

The sooner this window closes, the better. I have been dreading it since the start of December and January has felt like half a year.

The sooner the season is over, the better!

It is indeed, however he too is another player who has a decent enough reputation among Newcastle's coaching staff.

If he wants more experience he could easily pick up a custodian for pennies, even in comparison with the 3 million or so that McGregor would cost, from another Premiership side or even a Championship side.

McGregor is the most likely to go, I just don't think it will be to Newcastle.

Perhaps I\m being over influenced by the fact that Newcastle seem to want so many players from us and them.

Indeed, Kinnear seems to want a side built around half a dozen old firm players:

McGregor/Boruc

McManus

Bougherra

Ferguson

Brown

Mendes

:rolleyes: