Hearts & Wolves Agree Berra Fee

Hearts have given permission for captain Christophe Berra to speak to Wolves after the clubs agreed a fee of about £2.5m for the Scotland defender.

The, 24 on Saturday, has travelled south to discuss personal terms and will miss Hearts' game against Hamilton in the Scottish Premier League.

Hearts had earlier this week rejected a £2m offer from Wolves.

But the Edinburgh club now say on their website: "Hearts has given Christophe permission to talk to Wolves."

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy had criticised Hearts on Friday for the way they have handled his club's interest in the Scotland international.

The English Championship leaders were unhappy that Hearts did not respond to Wolves' bid directly but replied instead through the media.

"It's an attempt to alert everybody out there what we've done. I think it's unethical," the Molineux boss told BBC West Midlands.

"We have made a bid. I won't confirm or deny what the bid was, but it was put out on Sky News that we had had a bid turned down.

"Why is that? Why not pick the phone up and say 'no, we are not accepting that'?

"I just don't think it's right. We have bid and that offer remains."

Wolves' need for a centre-half following the return of Michael Mancienne to Chelsea was made clearer by Neill Collins' late dismissal in the defeat at Reading on Tuesday night.

Collins will be suspended for the forthcoming home matches against Watford and Norwich.

Berra, 23, is the captain of Hearts and has three full international caps for Scotland. He has been linked with possible moves to Fulham and Sunderland as well as Wolves by the Scottish press.

Wolves had a £1.5m bid rejected for the central defender, who has three international caps, in June.

However, Hearts have said that, in the current economic climate, they are prepared to listen to offers for even their best players.

Midfielder Michael Stewart is also being monitored by a club in Serie A.

And winger Andrew Driver is the subject of an offer from Coventry City.

The Scottish Premier League club's manager, Csaba Lazslo, has already gone public in saying that Berra would be ideal for Italy's Serie A.

And, earlier this week, the defender was linked with a move to an unnamed club from the German Bundesliga.

I think he'll struggling down there, the pace of the Championship is really fast.

If he struggles down there then it makes a mockery of our national team. I think he is a good player and its just a shame he has to go to England's second tier to make a step forward in his career.

Good luck to him.

I think he'll struggling down there, the pace of the Championship is really fast.

Berra's pretty fast himself mate, although i think this move is a little bit too early for him and it could be his eventual path into the premiership but i don't see this doing his scotland chances any good at all. As for a replacement at hearts csaba Llaszo is trying to bond Eggert Jonsson into a centre half at the moment and therefore we probably won't spend to bring someone in. Although it's been reported Darren Barr from Falkirk could be on his way to Hearts as it was said a fee had already been agreed if Berra was to leave Hearts.

Berra's pretty fast himself mate, although i think this move is a little bit too early for him and it could be his eventual path into the premiership but i don't see this doing his scotland chances any good at all. As for a replacement at hearts csaba Llaszo is trying to bond Eggert Jonsson into a centre half at the moment and therefore we probably won't spend to bring someone in. Although it's been reported Darren Barr from Falkirk could be on his way to Hearts as it was said a fee had already been agreed if Berra was to leave Hearts.

George Burley loves to play mediocre Championship players.

He's not even the best centre half at Hearts.

Zaliukas is.

So why is he the one linked with the big money moves?

Zaliukas has been linked with a £2M move to Russia..

Equally, why is Berra only ever seriously linked with Wolves?

Zaliukas is.

aye and so was boyd

Zaliukas is.

aye and so was boyd

Boyd? What do you mean?

The £4M link with Dynamo Kiev that his agent blatantly made up just before PLG started contract negotiations with him? :sleep:

If he struggles down there then it makes a mockery of our national team. I think he is a good player and its just a shame he has to go to England's second tier to make a step forward in his career.

Good luck to him.

Well it was him that wanted to go down

Rangers were looking at him and sowere celtic i think he sayed he wanted to levve scotland so they of just never bothered to make any offers