Rangers may run Wylde

SteveJ

Published Date: 20 March 2011

By Tom English

Gregg Wylde, a week away from his 20th birthday, might be just a matter of hours away from the biggest game of his young life. Wylde, with his searing pace up the left side of the pitch, was a stand-out performer on Thursday night when Rangers played PSV in the Europa League.

Should he make an appearance against Celtic in the Co-operative Insurance Cup final this afternoon it will, no doubt, be a strange experience for the midfielder who has a unique back story.

Though a Rangers fan since childhood, Wylde was a Celtic player from the age of seven to the age of 14, at which point he departed the east end of the city and fetched up at Ibrox. He has, therefore, spent more time playing in green and white than in blue. Strange, but true.

He might be a little sheepish about that these days, but his commitment to the Rangers cause betrays the confidence of youth.

"I've played at Hampden twice in Youth Cup finals - once against Hibs, once against somebody else! And I lost them both." The somebody else was, of course, Celtic.

"It's a wide, wide park and, if I play, I'd love to get the ball out there and do something with it. I thought I did well enough against PSV. I never really did anything wrong to be honest so, hopefully, it's enough for the gaffer to go with me again. If you look at the Motherwell game when they beat Celtic, they played wingers up against their full-backs and (Mark] Wilson and (Emilio] Izaguirre didn't get forward as much. But they're good full-backs who have done well for them this season."

Whether Wylde plays from the start or not is a moot point but Walter Smith and Ally McCoist must be tempted to go with him in the starting XI.

Surely Rangers have to come up with something new given Celtic's dominance in recent games?

"There's certainly an argument for that," said McCoist on Friday. "We need to put them under more pressure and ask more questions of them. We have absolutely got to do that, we didn't do that at all in the last game. There's maybe one or two reasons. I think the personnel maybe limited us a little bit and tied our hands behind our back slightly. That's not an excuse, it's maybe just a wee reason.

"But I think we have to ask far more questions this Sunday and we will, I don't think there is any doubt we will.

"Gregg is figuring in my thoughts, but I haven't had a good chat with the manager. I thought he was terrific against PSV and we all loved it. He's still got a long way to go but it was encouraging. He's done well when he's come on but like a lot of young ones he's erratic, but he didn't look like that at Ibrox. I thought his delivery was first class.

"I think he is probably just about the fastest but don't quote me on that or (Vladimir] Weiss will not be speaking to me."

Whatever about Weiss, is the time now right for Rangers to go Wylde?

Source: Scotsman

Really when you think about it any manager would be playing them EVERY SINGLE FUCKING GAME!!!

It makes me so sad thinking we don't play to our strength!

We only need to go back to that spell last season when we played Beasley and Novo on the wings and ran riot, not even proper out n out wingers like weiss and wylde aswell but the system still worked

could you imagine wylde and weiss on both wings? :drool:

can imagine them waiting for a pass, while the arse is getting ripped out our midfield pair.we need an extra player in the middle or the tims will run all over us again

If Weiss is fit i would play him on the right with Wylde on the left and Hutton and Davis in the centre. No place for Diouf as all he does is wind them up to raise their game.For me it would be Naismith and Jelavic up top with the back four picking itself.

WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE