Div 3 to SPL in 3 days

KingKirk

THE Rangers crisis took an incredible new twist yesterday after the club were voted into the Third Division — as worried footy chiefs plotted to rescue them.

The SPL and SFA fear a number of top clubs will DIE if the Ibrox side are thrown into the soccer wilderness, as lucrative TV and sponsorship deals could be lost.

Now they hope to overcome the vote by 25 of the SFL’s 30 clubs to banish the Light Blues into the bottom tier of Scottish football — by creating a new SPL2 league.

And there are even plans to consider reinstating Rangers to the SPL at a crisis meeting on Monday.

An insider said: “The prospect will be discussed.”

The moves come despite Gers fans and rival clubs WANTING Charles Green’s newco club to begin life in Division Three.

London-based footy finance expert Chris Brady said last night: “Integrity is all very well but the SPL know having Rangers in the Third Division is footballing suicide.

“Quite simply they are hatching this plot to try and save the TV deal and keep the money in the Scottish game. If Scottish football is being honest with itself they know they need the Old Firm to survive at a reasonable level.”

Result ... SFL bosses Ballantyne, Longmuir and Cameron at yesterday's Hampden vote

The plans are being driven by SPL supremo Neil Doncaster and SFA chief Stewart Regan, who has said putting Rangers in the Third Division rather than the first division would bring about a “slow, lingering death” to Scottish football.

They fear several premier league clubs could go bust, with yesterday’s decision costing the national game up to £80MILLION.

SPL sides — who earlier this month refused to allow newco Rangers into their own league — want the Glasgow giants back in 12 months to protect their TV and sponsorship dosh. And it is believed a number of clubs are planning emergency meetings to discuss the financial implications of yesterday’s vote.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle have already called crisis talks to discuss their financial future and other sides are expected to follow.

Within minutes of yesterday’s vote it was revealed there were plans for an SPL2. It would see the SPL invite First Division clubs — and Rangers — into the new breakaway league.

The controversial proposal was revealed on the Rangers website. A statement said: “Rangers’ future remains uncertain after the SFL clubs voted against the Light Blues playing in the First Division next season. The 30 member clubs agreed to accept Rangers into the SFL but voted against the SFL board being allowed to broker a deal with the SPL and SFA over new structures and procedures which would also include Rangers playing in Division One.

“It is now understood that on the back of a briefing SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster and SFA counterpart Stewart Regan gave to clubs last week that the SPL will introduce a plan for SPL2 — which would include Rangers — and invite existing Division One members to join.”

Shortly afterwards the club issued a revised, toned-down release saying: “It was mooted last week that plans for an SPL2 would swing into action in the event of today’s outcome but it is not known if this will be the case.” Dunfermline chairman John Yorkston last night said it would NOT be a shock to see the SFA and SPL formulating plans for an SPL2.

But he added: “The 10 First Division clubs sent out a message today saying we are looking for a 42-club solution, the vote was 25 to five so I think that was fairly unanimous.”

And Livingston chairman Gordon McDougall is adamant an SPL2 is a non-starter. He said: “I don’t think there is any chance of that. We all want a 42-club solution to this situation with all 42 clubs working together for football but I have no idea what is likely to happen.

Defiant ... Rangers fans outside Hampden

“We have made a decision, I sincerely hope the decision is respected and we go forward with Rangers in the Third Division. Ally McCoist and Charles Green were adamant they would respect our decision.” SFL president Jim Ballantyne — whose club, Airdrie United, are poised to now be promoted to Division One — said: “We don’t have any control over the SPL and they are entitled to do whatever they wish, within their own rules.

“But it’s important to mention that the Division One clubs went out of their way to make it clear that their route regarding a solution involved all 42 teams. Other bodies are going to have to look at the decision we’ve taken and decide what view they are going to take.”

SFL chief executive David Longmuir, who was at yesterday’s vote along with Ballantyne and vice president Ewen Cameron, said the decison was taken “in the best interest of sporting fairness”.

He added: “The SFL has been consistent with our willingness to work with other bodies to ensure that we focus on rebuilding our game, restoring pride in our game and exploring revenue streams and our willingness to achieve these aims does not alter.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4428910/Rangers-vote-They-sink-its-all-over.html#ixzz20Y8RyT00

After spending a frustrating day watching events unfold and having just watched the SFL press conference on RangersTV I come to the conclusion that this is not over yet and there is more to come in the next few days...... what a mess!

i m relly fed up with this shit, they need us.

mr green needs to come out and publically state the only options acceptable to rangers are spl with no sanctions or div3. if none of these are granted we will do everything in our power to find an alternative association to play football in and will fight this all the way to the european courts if need be.

im so sick of this i would accept a yr out of playing lge football if it means we start taking control of our destiny.

if mr green wont stand up to these cunts, us(the support) need to do whatever it takes to fight back, and i mean whatever.

When is Reagan going to understand this cant be done , because he needs all the SFL Clubs to agree to this SPL 2 Thing. What if they refuse to join? Then his Plan is Fecked.

This is where we find out if the 1st. div clubs are willing to stand by their decision, re: sporting fairness.

I can honestly see the start of the new season being delayed for a couple of weeks....maybe even a month, until this sorry mess gets sorted. Shouldn't need to be, as it is sorted as it stands.

Ideally, we have the right scenario. Everyone got what they wanted, right? Now they ALL just have to have the balls to deal with the consequences of their actions. I'm sure these SPL chairmen must have a plan b for their finances, after voting us out??

What would happen if we refused to join this SPL2? As no doubt it will come with sanctions which they can shove up their arse.Div 3 for me anyway and i'll gladly pay full season ticket money every year to make us stronger.

I can honestly see the start of the new season being delayed for a couple of weeks....maybe even a month, until this sorry mess gets sorted. Shouldn't need to be, as it is sorted as it stands.

Ideally, we have the right scenario. Everyone got what they wanted, right? Now they ALL just have to have the balls to deal with the consequences of their actions. I'm sure these SPL chairmen must have a plan b for their finances, after voting us out??

No chance buddy,the shit has well and truly hit the fan now.

Reagan expected the wee teams to cave into bullying and to their credit they held firm,now they will once again re-arrange the rules to suit themselves.

The SPL clubs arses will truly be making buttons,they can't pick fans out of thin air so without Rangers everyone is taking a hit,even timothy.

3d-cigar.gif

Why does he need all sfl clubs to agree to spl2? There were 5 clubs who voted to have us in div 1 suggesting that they could convince at least 6 clubs to be involved in spl2...and surely a number of 3rd or 2nd div clubs would happily join an spl2

No chance buddy,the shit has well and truly hit the fan now.

Reagan expected the wee teams to cave into bullying and to their credit they held firm,now they will once again re-arrange the rules to suit themselves.

The SPL clubs arses will truly be making buttons,they can't pick fans out of thin air so without Rangers everyone is taking a hit,even timothy.

3d-cigar.gif

You're probably right. I'm forgetting there is still almost a month until the season starts. However, if they can't agree on what to do, then realistically, they can't let the season start. I hope they do though, as this is the ideal outcome! (tu)

This mess has been created out of hatred for our club and lack of foresight.

The SPL clubs who voted against our membership - including "our great friends" failed to realise that there are clubs with backbone in the lower leagues who do not depend on the Old Firm for survival.

Liewell and all his other associates have been regally dismantled by sporting integrity.

We are now in a strong position. If the SPL tries to force through any changes which do not favour us we can play the "sporting integrity" card ad infiniteum.

Have had a wee drink or 20 in celebration of our great club.

We shall prevail.

What makes the SPL and SFA think that SKY will sign a TV deal. If an SPL2 is created and we're parachuted in, there'll be fucking anarchy. The SPL fans will be ragin because we're only one year from kickin their arses as usual. We'll be ragin because we're being used as a cash cow and the SFL clubs left behind will have had the complete cunt takin out of them. Every club will boycott each other for a generation. Boycott the national team, the league cup, the Scottish cup, the fucking lot. Would you invest in that farce.

THE Rangers crisis took an incredible new twist yesterday after the club were voted into the Third Division — as worried footy chiefs plotted to rescue them.

The SPL and SFA fear a number of top clubs will DIE if the Ibrox side are thrown into the soccer wilderness, as lucrative TV and sponsorship deals could be lost.

Now they hope to overcome the vote by 25 of the SFL’s 30 clubs to banish the Light Blues into the bottom tier of Scottish football — by creating a new SPL2 league.

And there are even plans to consider reinstating Rangers to the SPL at a crisis meeting on Monday.

An insider said: “The prospect will be discussed.”

The moves come despite Gers fans and rival clubs WANTING Charles Green’s newco club to begin life in Division Three.

London-based footy finance expert Chris Brady said last night: “Integrity is all very well but the SPL know having Rangers in the Third Division is footballing suicide.

“Quite simply they are hatching this plot to try and save the TV deal and keep the money in the Scottish game. If Scottish football is being honest with itself they know they need the Old Firm to survive at a reasonable level.”

Result ... SFL bosses Ballantyne, Longmuir and Cameron at yesterday's Hampden vote

The plans are being driven by SPL supremo Neil Doncaster and SFA chief Stewart Regan, who has said putting Rangers in the Third Division rather than the first division would bring about a “slow, lingering death” to Scottish football.

They fear several premier league clubs could go bust, with yesterday’s decision costing the national game up to £80MILLION.

SPL sides — who earlier this month refused to allow newco Rangers into their own league — want the Glasgow giants back in 12 months to protect their TV and sponsorship dosh. And it is believed a number of clubs are planning emergency meetings to discuss the financial implications of yesterday’s vote.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle have already called crisis talks to discuss their financial future and other sides are expected to follow.

Within minutes of yesterday’s vote it was revealed there were plans for an SPL2. It would see the SPL invite First Division clubs — and Rangers — into the new breakaway league.

The controversial proposal was revealed on the Rangers website. A statement said: “Rangers’ future remains uncertain after the SFL clubs voted against the Light Blues playing in the First Division next season. The 30 member clubs agreed to accept Rangers into the SFL but voted against the SFL board being allowed to broker a deal with the SPL and SFA over new structures and procedures which would also include Rangers playing in Division One.

“It is now understood that on the back of a briefing SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster and SFA counterpart Stewart Regan gave to clubs last week that the SPL will introduce a plan for SPL2 — which would include Rangers — and invite existing Division One members to join.”

Shortly afterwards the club issued a revised, toned-down release saying: “It was mooted last week that plans for an SPL2 would swing into action in the event of today’s outcome but it is not known if this will be the case.” Dunfermline chairman John Yorkston last night said it would NOT be a shock to see the SFA and SPL formulating plans for an SPL2.

But he added: “The 10 First Division clubs sent out a message today saying we are looking for a 42-club solution, the vote was 25 to five so I think that was fairly unanimous.”

And Livingston chairman Gordon McDougall is adamant an SPL2 is a non-starter. He said: “I don’t think there is any chance of that. We all want a 42-club solution to this situation with all 42 clubs working together for football but I have no idea what is likely to happen.

Defiant ... Rangers fans outside Hampden

“We have made a decision, I sincerely hope the decision is respected and we go forward with Rangers in the Third Division. Ally McCoist and Charles Green were adamant they would respect our decision.” SFL president Jim Ballantyne — whose club, Airdrie United, are poised to now be promoted to Division One — said: “We don’t have any control over the SPL and they are entitled to do whatever they wish, within their own rules.

“But it’s important to mention that the Division One clubs went out of their way to make it clear that their route regarding a solution involved all 42 teams. Other bodies are going to have to look at the decision we’ve taken and decide what view they are going to take.”

SFL chief executive David Longmuir, who was at yesterday’s vote along with Ballantyne and vice president Ewen Cameron, said the decison was taken “in the best interest of sporting fairness”.

He added: “The SFL has been consistent with our willingness to work with other bodies to ensure that we focus on rebuilding our game, restoring pride in our game and exploring revenue streams and our willingness to achieve these aims does not alter.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4428910/Rangers-vote-They-sink-its-all-over.html#ixzz20Y8RyT00

The Sun... Personallly a stoppped reedin this wen a saw thi nuws pape wot rote it coz int thay awe lies thit they tel an wiz thay no thi wans that telt us we wiz in thi final against acmilan coz thay french frogs ma arse say wiz cheats.

:sleep1:

This talk of a "slow lingering death" if Rangers are placed in Division III is just nonsense ... even with Rangers in the SPL Scottish football faces a slow lingering death the way things are. The fear for Regan and Doncaster is a speedy collapse with Rangers in Division III.

They may delay the start and cancel the winter break in January to allow for a 'catch up' period.

Should have been sorted weeks ago. Regan and Doncaster have contrived to create this cluster-fuk.