Revitalised Waghorn

Rangers striker Martyn Waghorn admits his career was stalling before his move to Ibrox - but now wants to motor on to Europe.

The 26-year-old has been rewarded for his debut 28-goal campaign in Glasgow with a nomination for the PFA Scotland Championship player of the year award.

It is a much happier situation for the former Sunderland graduate than the tales of woe he endured during failed moves to Leicester and Wigan.

The former £3million Foxes signing spent four years at the King Power Stadium but managed just 20 goals, while his stint at the DW Stadium also ended in disappointment as he was frozen out by former boss Malky Mackay.

But he insists he is back on the right path after being lured to Scotland by boss Mark Warburton and now wants to secure a Europa League slot by helping Rangers win the William Hill Scottish Cup.

Asked if his career was floundering before his Ibrox switch, he said: "Yeah, I think it would be fair to say that. I signed for Wigan from Leicester in January 2014 and had a good end of the season.

"But then the new manager came in, things changed and I got injured. It was difficult.

"But all those problems are in the past. I'm pleased with how it has gone up here. It was a real challenge to go from being injured last year to hitting 28 goals this season.

"I still think I'm at a good age and that I can get better.

"I would say this move has transformed my career. Playing in front of 50,000 fans every week gives you a real buzz and I think I've relished that. I've craved it. I look forward to every Saturday, putting on the kit and getting out on the park.

"For some people, that is too much for them, but I have loved every minute of it.

"I can't thank the manager and (assistant) Davie Weir enough. Everyone wants to play for the big teams in the world and Rangers is definitely one of them.

"We want to be winning cups and challenging for Europe.

"The gaffer has brought the style of play and the hunger to the boys to make sure everyone is pulling in the right direction. I think this club can really go places now."

Waghorn and Gers skipper Lee Wallace will go head-to-head with Hibs duo Jason Cummings and John McGinn for the player of the year prize, while the nominees are also set to square off in the May 21 cup final.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/rangers/revitalised-rangers-striker-martyn-waghorn-gunning-for-europe-34649292.html

I just hope these players remember where they were and where we have got them to when other clubs come sniffing.

Dont think anyone would begrudge them a move if the money is right for the club but id feel pretty miffed if they tried to force a move to a mediocre epl club that could pay 3x the wages

I would not play Waghorn in the cup he will be an important player next season and would rather make sure he up to speed for the new season, which will be a lot tougher than this one.

He's had a very good first season.

15 minutes ago, Smile said:

I would not play Waghorn in the cup he will be an important player next season and would rather make sure he up to speed for the new season, which will be a lot tougher than this one.

He's had a very good first season.

He will be up to speed for the new season, even if he does play in the final, with pre-season and a break in between. 

We need Waghorn to start the final, or at least play some kind of role, imo. 

2 minutes ago, WGOH said:

He will be up to speed for the new season, even if he does play in the final, with pre-season and a break in between. 

We need Waghorn to start the final, or at least play some kind of role, imo. 

Its a tough one as he's a guy who can score against Hibs when fully fit, but i dont think he will be needed as we have enough to beat them

1 minute ago, Smile said:

Its a tough one as he's a guy who can score against Hibs when fully fit, but i dont think he will be needed as we have enough to beat them

MW has already said that he will be involved in the cup final in some capacity and going by the last week and a half, we certainly need something different going forward. I get what you're saying though - is the reward as big as the risk for next season - but I would say it is. 

5 minutes ago, WGOH said:

MW has already said that he will be involved in the cup final in some capacity and going by the last week and a half, we certainly need something different going forward. I get what you're saying though - is the reward as big as the risk for next season - but I would say it is. 

i still think even how shit we have been the past wee while we will up our game for the Final, Hibs will shite it.

I may be wrong but i still think we have enough if the players apply themselves properly. Warburtons got to motivate them now so they actually look like they give a fuck.

Just now, Smile said:

I still think even how shit we have been the past wee while we will up our game for the Final and Hibs will shite it.

I may be wrong but i still think we have enough if the players apply themselves properly. Warburtons got to motivate them now so they actually look like they give a fuck.

I think we could be doing with Waghorn though, especially with King, Forrester,MOH and Ball out - the squad looks thin as fuck for the final. Hibs will shite it and I think the players will know they owe it to the fans to put on a performance, just hoping they the wee rest between St.Mirren and the final is a good thing. 

20 hours ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

I just hope these players remember where they were and where we have got them to when other clubs come sniffing.

Dont think anyone would begrudge them a move if the money is right for the club but id feel pretty miffed if they tried to force a move to a mediocre epl club that could pay 3x the wages

At the end of the day these guys have families to think about and their families have to take precedence.  If someone made them an offer that could make them as much money on a 3 year contract as it would take to earn with us in 10 years they have to go for it given that there is a very limited time and possibly limited opportunities in which to ever earn that kind of money.

It's up to club management to try to get the best out of it for the club it can't be the players priority.  All I expect of them is that they give 100% while they are with us.