Ibrox Pitch

Dlydon81

Is it time we widen the ibrox pitch back to the size we used to play on.  For me, having the narrower pitch makes it easier for away teams to just defend against us.

id like to see us really stretch teams at home.  Ross County were kackered by the end of the match yesterday and I couldn't help feel that they would have collapsed 15 mins earlier if we had been playing on the full ibrox pitch! 

Anyone else think this is relevant or am I clutching a bit?

8 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

think its done to get used to the size of pitches we'll likely face away from home, look at killies pitch

Yeh, maybe that's required as we find our feet again in the SPL.  at some point as our quality continues to improve I would hope we could get back to the full pitch at Ibrox.

i've just moved to London so now having to watch Matches on stream and i hadn't appreciated until yesterday just how much extra grass there is to play with.

6 minutes ago, Queen's_highway said:

thought this was going to be about how it looked.

yeerday at the broomy side it looked really cut up. I think we got a new pitch laid this season too

There was a big cut up patch at Copland end as well, fuck knows what's happened to it, not as if there's a lot of games been played on it.

1 hour ago, Dlydon81 said:

Is it time we widen the ibrox pitch back to the size we used to play on.  For me, having the narrower pitch makes it easier for away teams to just defend against us.

id like to see us really stretch teams at home.  Ross County were kackered by the end of the match yesterday and I couldn't help feel that they would have collapsed 15 mins earlier if we had been playing on the full ibrox pitch! 

Anyone else think this is relevant or am I clutching a bit?

Very good point mate, The Rangers were always better on a big wide pitch, one of the reasons why our record at Hampden were so good, that combined with a tradition of producing great wide players helped us grind teams down to a pulp leaving them at our mercy in the last half hour of games. As I said good post mate, and something surely worth looking at by the management.

There's no point widening the pitch unless we play with wide players who attack down the line; ours cut back inside every time.

It also widens the distance between our players, so the attempted short passing we like to do will be harder to implement.

1 hour ago, Bluepeter9 said:

The pitch can't be changed during the season any more 

Did they change rules this season?  as Alloa did it prior to playing us last season.

SPFL rules dictate the maximum, minimum and recommended dimensions for playing surfaces and Alloa have narrowed their pitch from close to the recommended 68m width to the minimum 60m.

Clubs can apply to change the dimensions at any time, and more than once a season, but must gain the written consent of the SPFL board.

18 minutes ago, Don54 said:

Did they change rules this season?  as Alloa did it prior to playing us last season.

SPFL rules dictate the maximum, minimum and recommended dimensions for playing surfaces and Alloa have narrowed their pitch from close to the recommended 68m width to the minimum 60m.

Clubs can apply to change the dimensions at any time, and more than once a season, but must gain the written consent of the SPFL board.

If you have looked it up fine - but without looking it up I think the rule is now the pitch dimensions have to be registered and remain like that for the season 

IMO no 

I know people are finding every little thing to moan about at the moment but we play much better on smaller tighter pitches 

moving it in is a good move - especially against Celtic when they've got players like Griffiths who seems to find pockets of space, Brown who covers a lot of grass and players like Sinclair and Forrest who like width

as I said this ones a good call - one of the few tbh 

2 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

think its done to get used to the size of pitches we'll likely face away from home, look at killies pitch

I see your point, but it's the opposition that needs to struggle against us, especially at home were we can influence an advantage. Why not use it?

33 minutes ago, The Dude said:

There isn't any grass (it's AstroTurf that's there) beyond the sidelines so can't really be widened without laying new sections of grass. Fairly pointless to add a yard or two

There is a section of grass available before the Astro.

The section in front of SJ is a bit of a mess though (just where the players do their pre match routines).

If this is an indication of the rest of the pitch, then it could be some state come December.

51 minutes ago, The Dude said:

There isn't any grass (it's AstroTurf that's there) beyond the sidelines so can't really be widened without laying new sections of grass. Fairly pointless to add a yard or two

It would be more than a yard or two! - my sense is that the AstroTurf used to be grass and there is definitely a sizeable chunk of grass on the govan stand side as well.  In my head this wouldn't be an overnight change but something to consider as a longer term play and would require a bit of investment - as you pointed out AstroTurf would need replaced with grass.

On 9/18/2016 at 11:59 AM, Don54 said:

On 9/18/2016 at 0:19 PM, Bluepeter9 said:

If you have looked it up fine - but without looking it up I think the rule is now the pitch dimensions have to be registered and remain like that for the season 

No i didn't look it up just remember Alloa doing it last season  but after they applied to SPFL board, I was just wondering if this was no longer an option, having said that if we could apply i'm sure SPFL would knock us back.