Zlatan joins Barca with Eto'o and Hleb joining Inter

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ibrahimovic: A good deal for Barcelona?

There has been a bit of a discussion taking place in our comments section regarding the Samuel Eto`o – Ibrahimovic deal that has certainly divided opinion amongst our resident Barcelona fans, so I thought I`d offer my opinion on Barcelona`s striking situation...

It has to be said that this appears to be a very costly signing for FC Barcelona and I am struggling to see how the payment of €45 million, plus Eto`o, plus Hleb on loan can be justified – especially when we consider that we are talking about trading two strikers who are at a similar stage in their careers and equally as good as each other. I`ve been speaking to a quite a few Barcelona season ticket holders to get their opinions and it is hard to find anyone who does not believe that Barcelona are paying way over the odds here.

Of course, all of the above is merely looking at the deal on a financial level - as a transaction - and the majority of fans I have spoken to do agree with me that Eto`o did need to go. Pep Guardiola spoke recently about how the need for the Cameroon striker to leave came down to a feeling: that the Barcelona coached sensed that it was the right time for Eto`o to move on. However, we know it came down to much more than that. The striker had disobeyed tactical instructions - refusing to play in a wide position on several occasions – and there was more than one occasion when the player and coach fell out with each other during training sessions.

The chemistry was wrong between the pair of them and there was a frequent clash of personalities, and it became apparent toward the end of last season as Guardiola grew increasingly frustrated with Eto`o`s self indulgent obsession with becoming the Pichichi that had an adverse effect on the striker`s performance.

So, a change was due and Barcelona had been pursuing David Villa as their priority to replace Eto`o, but it became impossible to do business with Valencia.

Ibrahimovic`s signing, once confirmed – and we are hearing that a deal is all but done – will inevitably require a chnge to the way Barcelona`s forward line plays: Ibra is a different kind of forward to Eto`o, he is more mobile and happy to drift out wide. Unilke Eto`o, Ibrahimovic won`t be looking for the ball played in front of him for him to run into space, but prefers it played to his feet. Ibrahimovic will score goals, but he will also bring other players into the game and is a much better passer of the ball than Eto`o.

My colleague on the site, Lee Watson, was at Bisham Abbey today to link up with FC Barcelona during their pre-season tour, and he tells me that while Thierry Henry refused to be drawn on how he envisages playing alongside Ibrahimovic, the Barcelona forward was very excited about Ibrahimovic`s attitude. Henry said: "He (Ibrahimovic) is a very good player. I`d seen him before when I was with Arsenal - as Arsenal wanted him when he was 18 or so - and I`ve followed him since that moment And, since Ajax and now Inter, he`s done some incredible things in Europe."

And when asked to list Ibrahimovic`s outstanding qualities, Henry replied: “ First, his technique: Whatever ball you throw at him he will keep. Plus, Ibra has a great character and for some it is too much, but to be the player he is you need the character and confidence he has. I like it."

However, I cannot help thinking that Eto`o had real character and confidence as well – and while off the field his abrasive character was often detrimental to team harmony – on the pitch, Samuel Eto`o would contribute a great deal with his tireless running and closing down of the opposition that made him the first line of defence. It`s hard to see Ibrahimovic doing that.

Barcelona`s new forward – once confirmed – will score goals, even if it does take a while for the team to adjust, but I wonder if the team has improved at all with this signing…

Is this a good deal for Barcelona? How much are they going to miss Samuel Eto`o and how will Ibrahimovic affect the way they play as a team? Let us know what you think here…

-------------

http://www.guillembalague.com/blog_desp.ph...ona?&id=325

Ibrahimovic: A good deal for Barcelona?

There has been a bit of a discussion taking place in our comments section regarding the Samuel Eto`o – Ibrahimovic deal that has certainly divided opinion amongst our resident Barcelona fans, so I thought I`d offer my opinion on Barcelona`s striking situation...

It has to be said that this appears to be a very costly signing for FC Barcelona and I am struggling to see how the payment of €45 million, plus Eto`o, plus Hleb on loan can be justified – especially when we consider that we are talking about trading two strikers who are at a similar stage in their careers and equally as good as each other. I`ve been speaking to a quite a few Barcelona season ticket holders to get their opinions and it is hard to find anyone who does not believe that Barcelona are paying way over the odds here.

Of course, all of the above is merely looking at the deal on a financial level - as a transaction - and the majority of fans I have spoken to do agree with me that Eto`o did need to go. Pep Guardiola spoke recently about how the need for the Cameroon striker to leave came down to a feeling: that the Barcelona coached sensed that it was the right time for Eto`o to move on. However, we know it came down to much more than that. The striker had disobeyed tactical instructions - refusing to play in a wide position on several occasions – and there was more than one occasion when the player and coach fell out with each other during training sessions.

The chemistry was wrong between the pair of them and there was a frequent clash of personalities, and it became apparent toward the end of last season as Guardiola grew increasingly frustrated with Eto`o`s self indulgent obsession with becoming the Pichichi that had an adverse effect on the striker`s performance.

So, a change was due and Barcelona had been pursuing David Villa as their priority to replace Eto`o, but it became impossible to do business with Valencia.

Ibrahimovic`s signing, once confirmed – and we are hearing that a deal is all but done – will inevitably require a chnge to the way Barcelona`s forward line plays: Ibra is a different kind of forward to Eto`o, he is more mobile and happy to drift out wide. Unilke Eto`o, Ibrahimovic won`t be looking for the ball played in front of him for him to run into space, but prefers it played to his feet. Ibrahimovic will score goals, but he will also bring other players into the game and is a much better passer of the ball than Eto`o.

My colleague on the site, Lee Watson, was at Bisham Abbey today to link up with FC Barcelona during their pre-season tour, and he tells me that while Thierry Henry refused to be drawn on how he envisages playing alongside Ibrahimovic, the Barcelona forward was very excited about Ibrahimovic`s attitude. Henry said: "He (Ibrahimovic) is a very good player. I`d seen him before when I was with Arsenal - as Arsenal wanted him when he was 18 or so - and I`ve followed him since that moment And, since Ajax and now Inter, he`s done some incredible things in Europe."

And when asked to list Ibrahimovic`s outstanding qualities, Henry replied: “ First, his technique: Whatever ball you throw at him he will keep. Plus, Ibra has a great character and for some it is too much, but to be the player he is you need the character and confidence he has. I like it."

However, I cannot help thinking that Eto`o had real character and confidence as well – and while off the field his abrasive character was often detrimental to team harmony – on the pitch, Samuel Eto`o would contribute a great deal with his tireless running and closing down of the opposition that made him the first line of defence. It`s hard to see Ibrahimovic doing that.

Barcelona`s new forward – once confirmed – will score goals, even if it does take a while for the team to adjust, but I wonder if the team has improved at all with this signing…

Is this a good deal for Barcelona? How much are they going to miss Samuel Eto`o and how will Ibrahimovic affect the way they play as a team? Let us know what you think here…

-------------

http://www.guillembalague.com/blog_desp.ph...ona?&id=325

Exactly what I've said all along!

Pro evo will be interesting next year....

:pipe:

To see if they can get back to being better than FIFA like they were for 6 straight years?

On topic though, I am still not sure whether Ibra will fit into the Barca system. Eto'o and Milito should be a great partnership for Inter.

Pro evo will be interesting next year....

To see if they can get back to being better than FIFA like they were for 6 straight years?

On topic though, I am still not sure whether Ibra will fit into the Barca system. Eto'o and Milito should be a great partnership for Inter.

Doesn't Milito play best up front with a forward who can hold it up though? Will be interesting to see if Eto'o and Milito gel as a partnership as they might just be too similar to play together so it is a huge gamble on Inte's part. As for Ibra of course he will improve Barcelona he will be their spearhead which it will help them when they teams that intend to park the bus a la Chelsea.