Golf

kplfishtank

6 hours ago, cushynumber said:

I played 18 holes with the club champion the other night and as you do, couldn't help compare his game to mine. In terms of driving were actually relatively even - he was straighter and longer over the piece - but it wasn't a mega difference. However, in terms of approach shots, our respective game was night and day. i was hitting the green - but he was inside 6 ft on almost every hole. This made his first putt a good birdie opportunity on almost every hole. Where as I was lagging up or sometimes I had missed the green and was pitching on.

I subsequently leak shots over the 18 where he is par or birdie. He bangs in a gross 68 and i am gross 80. It was a salutary lesson in approach play.

That's the big difference mate. 

Short game is the boss for lower handicaps. When I was off 1 I rarely every practiced my long game, always chipping, bunkers, putting and working from 100 yards in.

One of the guys I grew up with and learnt to play from from is 51 now, +2 golfer and just been called into the Scotland seniors squad. Best short game I've ever seen in my life.

Hits it straight and around 250 off the tee, average in all honesty, but you give him anything from 8 iron in and he is deadly. Chips and putts like his house was bet on it.

I would regularly knock that ball 20-30 yards past him, but struggled to keep pace on a scoring front.

Took him out a few years ago for bounce game at Lanark before the newlands and he shot 67 scratch without even thinking about it, just wanted to see how the course was playing.?

Its a different game at that level.

Short game, short game, short game the cry of the low handicap golfer, so many times I have outplayed a very low man tee to green, their short game and ability to covert birdie chances killed me. 

They are annoying and brilliant to watch at the same time.

Anyone remember Steven O'hara he was on the European tour a few years back but his putting really let him down he was in the top 3 for geeens in reg or some stat similar to that, he came from my course someone was doing a job at his house and the reckoned they counted about 100 putters in his house. His old boy still plays at my course think he's about 75 and still plays off 6 doesn't hit the ball far but gets up and down near enough all the time someone said from 100 yards in he will get up and down 8 in 10 times. He plays most medals so he is still playing and not playing once in a blue moon to keep his handicap. 

1 minute ago, RFC RYAN said:

Anyone remember Steven O'hara he was on the European tour a few years back but his putting really let him down he was in the top 3 for geeens in reg or some stat similar to that, he came from my course someone was doing a job at his house and the reckoned they counted about 100 putters in his house. His old boy still plays at my course think he's about 75 and still plays off 6 doesn't hit the ball far but gets up and down near enough all the time someone said from 100 yards in he will get up and down 8 in 10 times. He plays most medals so he is still playing and not playing once in a blue moon to keep his handicap. 

Yeah I knew Stevie when we were younger. Similar ages, played in lot of the Scottish Boys events at same time.

Actually played behind him in a practice round at Dunbar years ago before Scottish boys match play, round about 99/00 time. Remember watching and being so impressed by his ball striking.

Really decent player. Not sure if true but I actually heard his wife had given birth and the youngster was born with a disability and that influenced his decision to come off tour. He was doing some club pro stuff up at Mousevalley/Kaimes before it went down the tubes.

2 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Yeah I knew Stevie when we were younger. Similar ages, played in lot of the Scottish Boys events at same time.

Actually played behind him in a practice round at Dunbar years ago before Scottish boys match play, round about 99/00 time. Remember watching and being so impressed by his ball striking.

Really decent player. Not sure if true but I actually heard his wife had given birth and the youngster was born with a disability and that influenced his decision to come off tour. He was doing some club pro stuff up at Mousevalley/Kaimes before it went down the tubes.

Yeah folk that know him say not many hit the ball like him. 

Not sure on that story might be true but he struggled money wise I think but it is a hard game. His brother Paul isn't bad either he's had a cracking year in the Tartan tour (I think) and broke the course record at Largs a couple months back. 

7 minutes ago, RFC RYAN said:

Yeah folk that know him say not many hit the ball like him. 

Not sure on that story might be true but he struggled money wise I think but it is a hard game. His brother Paul isn't bad either he's had a cracking year in the Tartan tour (I think) and broke the course record at Largs a couple months back. 

I heard that years ago, but not sure if true.

Dont know his brother but heard he is very talented as well mate.

7 hours ago, RFC RYAN said:

First medal in a few weeks today, surprised it's on after the rain last night not teeing off till after 12 ? 

Usually at my course the front 9 is harder and you can get a few shots back on the back 9. Well today wasn't hitting the ball great but went out in 38 which is 3 over was happy with that, 10th is a par 3 185 uphill so hit a rescue miles right and short had to hit another went in the bunker with that ended up with a 6 then the next hole had a 7 chunked 2 chips which I haven't done in ages. I was ready to walk off then it was just me and my old man as a few had cancelled just fell apart went out in 38 came back in 47 the so called easier 9 after the 6 and 7 I lost interest which I seem to do a lot the now. I have went out in 46 and back in 36 before but never what I done today. 

30 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Pretty decent final day in progress. Spieth was 5 ahead at one point, found the drink and a few holes later is all tied with DJ. Rahm on the charge and one behind.

Naturally Spieth's group is a hole behind and on the clock............

:wanker:Spieth...not you..

6 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Never known a player to be on the clock so much and not get punished.

It's so frustrating, and it's totally unfair. It's a shame too, as he's such a talent. Some of his shots this week, again, have been incredible.

Fantastic save from DJ to force the playoff............

12 minutes ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

DJ must be gutted he got injured this year with the golf he's now producing.

Before he got injured he was winning everything, and with ease. If he's on his A game how do you compete with someone who drives it 375 then stiffs it to a few feet. Incredible golf. Also, whilst he's got this very laid back approach he doesn't mess around when it comes to taking his shots. 

It would be interesting if Spieth were to go up against a more outspoken player in 2 balls and persisted to take so long. He's always been pretty lucky that when he's playing he tends to either play with his mates, or nice guys like Kuch, Thomas, DJ etc or lesser players who may be intimated by him or too scared to say anything as he's the golden child. If I was going head to head with him though I would certainly be having a word. There's no need to take so long for shots, especially on his last approach. He was in the middle of the fairway and he's already played the hole at least 4 times already this week!