Rangers Fans And The Scottish National Team...

graeme_4

Rangers fans and the Scottish national team...  

610 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the Scotland team?

• I go to games
    • I'm an armchair fan
    • I couldn't care less
    • I actively dislike / hate them
  2. 2. Have you always felt this way

3. 3. If you don't like the team, why?

• I do like the team
    • Because it represents the SFA
    • Because of nationalism (eg SNP/Yes voters)
    • Because of the 'traitors' in the squad
    • Because I think the 'Tartan Army' hate Rangers
  4. 4. Do you think less of Rangers fans that so support Scotland

How are they Scotland's rivals?

They don't compete against each other, they don't go head to head trying to win the same competitions, the hatred is only one-way, the gulf in class is massive.

Nothing like Rangers and Celtic.

I've spent enough time in England and know enough English people who do not think as badly of us as we do of them. They do not see us as a threat or rival in the slightest.

You ask any Englishman who his footballing rivals are they will say Germany.

How are Scotland and England rivals? Jesus wept.

No one did they are if a similar standard although they do both compete to win the same competitions. I guess by that logic however Celtic weren't our rivals for long spells of 9iar

Hear hear. Yes voters among the Rangers support are either pretend Rangers fans or hypocrites.

We are the Quintessential British football club. Our Club and fans proudly honour our Queen, our flag and the Union.

Do you guys boo the flag and GSTQ or do you just sit quietly?

Either way GOAT is 100% correct - you don't deserve to be allowed to be Rangers fans.

Uh oh the dogs are about to be released :lol: well played.

I think some underestimate the number of Rangers fan who separate the club they support from their national identity and/or their political preferences.

I'm proud to be British and Scottish. I don't see why there needs to be conflict. Flower of Scotland, Rule Britannia and God Save the Queen all have the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. I had a piper at my wedding, got married in a Kilt, all my English relatives loved it, they didn't think it was anti-Union at all. I'm proud of my heritage, even if it doesn't date back to the very first people ever to inhabit the country, I suspect I'd look pretty daft being married in a loin-cloth made out of reeds.

I don't like SNP as I don't want the Union to be broken up, however decades of Labour council leadership and Labour Scottish MP's in Scotland hasn't been particularly fruitful or prosperous or to the benefit of the average Protestant either to be fair.

I hate the SFA...but enjoy watching Scotland...from the comfort of the pub I should add. I always want them to do well. I take no gratification in them failing, even when Naismith is playing. France next year will be poorer for us not being represented.

Many of my Gers supporting mates go to Scotland games, some follow them all over Europe.

Rivals normally challenge each other for trophies tbf, it's a local derby.

Most of the English people I know want Scotland to do well, contrast that to the losers in this country arranging parties when England get pumped out a major tournament and it starts to become apparent who the sad sacks are.

So a local derby would make them rivals then. Most English I know want Scotland to do well too. It never stopped them rubbing it in my face when we get pumped though.

How are they Scotland's rivals?

They don't compete against each other, they don't go head to head trying to win the same competitions, the hatred is only one-way, the gulf in class is massive.

Nothing like Rangers and Celtic.

I've spent enough time in England and know enough English people who do not think as badly of us as we do of them. They do not see us as a threat or rival in the slightest.

You ask any Englishman who his footballing rivals are they will say Germany.

I've only met one England fan who genuinely hates Scotland but its based on her experiences when she lived in Scotland as a child. The anti-English abuse she suffered soured her opinion. Most English arent fussed about Scotland one way or the other.

How are Scotland and England rivals? Jesus wept.

No one did they are if a similar standard although they do both compete to win the same competitions. I guess by that logic however Celtic weren't our rivals for long spells of 9iar

Is that the best reply you've got seriously? we are two teams in the same city going head to head for the same honours ... Celtic were poor for some of the 9IAR seasons yes but what about Scottish and League Cups that we both went for every season? everyone is equal in a cup game

To compare footballing rivals Rangers and Celtic to Scotland and England is mental.

If you said Rangers vs Aberdeen then I might have had a bit more synpathy ... i.e one team with their fans with constant chips on their shoulder, jealous of the other team and never going to be able to match them.

I think some underestimate the number of Rangers fan who separate the club they support from their national identity and/or their political preferences.

I'm proud to be British and Scottish. I don't see why there needs to be conflict. Flower of Scotland, Rule Britannia and God Save the Queen all have the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. I had a piper at my wedding, got married in a Kilt, all my English relatives loved it, they didn't think it was anti-English at all. I'm proud of my heritage, even if it doesn't date back to the very first people ever to inhabit the country, I suspect I'd look pretty daft being married in a loin-cloth made out of reeds.

I don't like SNP as I don't want the Union to be broken up, however decades of Labour council leadership and Labour Scottish MP's in Scotland hasn't been particularly fruitful or prosperous either to be fair.

I hate the SFA...but enjoy watching Scotland...from the comfort of the pub I should add. I always want them to do well. I take no gratification in them failing, even when Naismith is playing. France next year will be poorer for us not being represented.

Many of my Gers supporting mates go to Scotland games, some follow them all over Europe.

Whilst not agreeing with you, I was reading that and respecting your view point .... up until I read that :lol:

I've only met one England fan who genuinely hates Scotland but its based on her experiences when she lived in Scotland as a child. The anti-English abuse she suffered soured her opinion. Most English arent fussed about Scotland one way or the other.

Yeah - it's definately a one way street.

Hear hear. Yes voters among the Rangers support are either pretend Rangers fans or hypocrites.

We are the Quintessential British football club. Our Club and fans proudly honour our Queen, our flag and the Union.

Do you guys boo the flag and GSTQ or do you just sit quietly?

Either way GOAT is 100% correct - you don't deserve to be allowed to be Rangers fans.

You're absolutely spot on. Folk that voted yes have no right supporting Rangers. I mean my cousin voted yes. Served 20 years in the British Army, been a season ticket holder at Ibrox since the 80s, shareholder and travelled across the globe following the club. But he's no right supporting Rangers. :lol:

Politics shouldnt be anything to do with it but when our club is on the receiving end of political policies aimed specifically at football and unjustly weighted against Rangers fans then I cant see how your opinion stacks up. The powers that be have made it happen and they should reap what they sow. Both the SFA, HMRC and the SNP have targeted Rangers for their own ends. If your choice is to accept living under and supporting those corrupt arsewipes then you really are a lost cause.

As for youngsters not being interested in politics someone hasnt noticed the UBs at games have they?

Good thing I didn't vote for HMRC or the SFA in the last election then?

Is that the best reply you've got seriously? we are two teams in the same city going head to head for the same honours ... Celtic were poor for some of the 9IAR seasons yes but what about Scottish and League Cups that we both went for every season? everyone is equal in a cup game

To compare footballing rivals Rangers and Celtic to Scotland and England is mental.

If you said Rangers vs Aberdeen then I might have had a bit more synpathy ... i.e one team with their fans with constant chips on their shoulder, jealous of the other team and never going to be able to match them.

Scottish and League Cup? Didn't Celtic win one Scottish during that spell? Doesn't that sound a bit like International competitions? Neither us or England come close to winning any.

Fair point on Aberdeen. As we're the England in that situation do we hold no Ill will towards the sheep shaggers? Or do we take joy in their misfortune?

You're absolutely spot on. Folk that voted yes have no right supporting Rangers. I mean my cousin voted yes. Served 20 years in the British Army, been a season ticket holder at Ibrox since the 80s, shareholder and travelled across the globe following the club. But he's no right supporting Rangers. :lol:

Your cousin is a mentalist.

Good thing I didn't vote for HMRC or the SFA in the last election then?

Is that the best response you have? Thats very poor but pretty much expected from someone with their head firmly planted somewhere so as to be unable to see. You do understand the meaning of the word politics don't you?

If you were all down the pub and Scott Brown crossed to Charlie Mulgrew to head us into the Euros in the 94th minute you'd all be jumping about going mad. Why lie? Nobody believes all this uberfan pish.

Rangers have a long and proud history of producing Scotland players and our fans make up a large proportion of the support and we'll be back in the near future to provide more players.

Where the hell do you work? In a Uni?

The online polls get hijacked anyway this website is the most trolled by fans of other clubs - I know for a fact there was fans of other clubs coming on here and voting on our polls regarding the referendum

I don't know why anyone takes an online poll seriously even if it's the result you wanted

I wasn't talking about polls. There are many established posters on here that voted Yes. The debates on the OT and DC were pretty varied.

The Rangers support has always been more politically varied than it's given credit for. Largely because political views develop after your club allegiances do (I mean, most of us probably became fans in early childhood).

Scottish and League Cup? Didn't Celtic win one Scottish during that spell? Doesn't that sound a bit like International competitions? Neither us or England come close to winning any.

Fair point on Aberdeen. As we're the England in that situation do we hold no Ill will towards the sheep shaggers? Or do we take joy in their misfortune?

It doesn't matter how many was won it's about competing head to head at that level. We drew them in cups during that period and fought hard battles including semi's.

I take joy in Aberdeen's misfortune - I take joy in everyone I hate's misfortune - even Andy Murray since he voted YES wheras I was a massive fan of his before.

But most of the English don't hate Scotland.

I go to a lot of Chelsea games in England and abroad and we are always well recieved ... by everyone in England, the fans, the pubs, the staff, the shops. It is not the same when English people live and visit Scotland.

Is that the best response you have? Thats very poor but pretty much expected from someone with their head firmly planted somewhere so as to be unable to see. You do understand the meaning of the word politics don't you?

You understand the word football, don't you?

I wasn't talking about polls. There are many established posters on here that voted Yes. The debates on the OT and DC were pretty varied.

The Rangers support has always been more politically varied than it's given credit for. Largely because political views develop after your club allegiances do (I mean, most of us probably became fans in early childhood).

I know you weren't talking about polls. I was. Using it as an example of how things can be percieved.

I remember before the elections in May there was a thing in the papers about some other Rangers forum and how most of them were voting SNP in it ... but I went on Hibs, Celtic and Motherwell forums and they were all bragging about them and others with accounts hijacking the poll .... the papers don't care about that but it then makes it look like the Rangers fan base has a massive SNP allegience when that's not true.

If you were all down the pub and Scott Brown crossed to Charlie Mulgrew to head us into the Euros in the 94th minute you'd all be jumping about going mad. Why lie? Nobody believes all this uberfan pish.

Rangers have a long and proud history of producing Scotland players and our fans make up a large proportion of the support and we'll be back in the near future to provide more players.

I'd be devastated if that happened. Honestly.

As I said in another post earlier these "large proportion" of Rangers fans you say make up the support - I had some of them say to me in the Langside Hotel after Scotland beat France at Hampden a few years ago that they were at Parkhead in 1999 when we won the league there and that that game beating France topped that.

I'm sorry but that's not a Rangers fan. Don't care what anyone says.