Eventually...praise from STV

Big Al 55

http://stv.tv/sport/football/1350889-rangers-v-celtic-analysis/

Rangers stay true to Warburton's style against Deila's drab Celtic
Scott McClymont
17 April 2016

A look at how the Ibrox side came out on top at Hampden in the Scottish Cup semi-final.
Rangers manager Mark Warburton (right) celebrates at full time with Gedion Zelalem
Rangers manager Mark Warburton (right) celebrates at full time with Gedion Zelalem SNS

The pre-match question was whether or not Rangers would stick to the attacking style that helped them cruise to the Scottish Championship title.

Mark Warburton always insisted that he would but it would fall on his players to follow the strategy and ensure his system would work on the country's biggest stage.

And while it took penalties to separate the sides, the Ibrox men executed their game plan at a higher level than they've been tested at so far this season.

Here are some of the key factors which influenced the match.

Miller's movement put Rangers on the front foot
Kenny Miller's movement caused Celtic's defence all sorts of problems in the first half, allowing Rangers to take control of the game early on.

Always better as an instinctive finisher, Miller was alert to get ahead of Dedryck Boyata after Scott Brown had deflected the ball into his path. In the opening minutes, the former Scotland striker had already peeled off Charlie Mulgrew to force Craig Gordon into a fine low save.

Miller dropped deep at times to allow Barrie McKay and Dean Shiels to move centrally and provide options for midfield pair Jason Holt and Andy Halliday.

His presence waned in the second period but nevertheless he has shown he can be a real asset for the Ibrox men in the top flight next term.

Rangers midfield outshine Brown and Bitton
Mark Warburton opted for Dean Shiels to replace Harry Forrester in his starting line up with the midfield three of Holt, Halliday and Ball supporting Shiels and Barrie McKay. Warburton's midfield dominated the middle of the park with the defensive shield of Scott Brown and Nir Bitton proving largely ineffective against the Light Blues' fluid trio.

Ball, once again employed in a holding role, strolled through most of the game before moving to centre back when Rob Kiernan was replaced by Gedion Zelalem.

The understanding built up between Holt and Halliday was evident once again as Rangers pressed Celtic high up the park and the Championship side seemed to have more energy while others tired.

McKay the star as Johansen disappoints once more
There was little surprise when Barrie McKay was awarded the man of the match prize on an afternoon where Rangers' star showed he's unlikely to be a one-season wonder.

Having seen his career revitalised by Warburton after tough spells under Ally McCoist, the 21-year-old gave Mikael Lustig a torrid afternoon and gave Kieran Tierney a real defensive examination, one the young Celtic full-back stood up to.

McKay's stunning goal in extra time was just reward for the winger who showed drive and skill in attack as well as tactical discipline when defending.

In the battle of the attacking midfielders, McKay was the star while it was another terrible afternoon for Celtic's Stefan Johansen. Last year's Player of the Year has been a shadow of himself this term with his passing wayward and a total lack of trademark late runs into the box, which helped make him a fans' favourite.

The Norwegian engaged in a lengthy touchline conversation with his manager shortly after Sviatchenko's equaliser as Deila urged him to get closer to Leigh Griffiths. The talk had little visible effect and he was eventually replaced by Tom Rogic, who made a big difference to Celtic's attacking threat by scoring their second before his penalty shoot-out miss.

Deila should have started with Sviatchenko
The Danish defender wasn't deemed fit enough to start this Hampden clash but was forced into action after 25 minutes due to Dedryck Boyata's injury. Celtic's January signing proved his worth with a powerful header to equalise and looked far more assured than the blundering Belgian he had replaced.

Deila's faith in Boyata, especially as a ball-playing centre back, appears misplaced and recruiting another centre back to challenge Sviatchenko and the injury-prone Jozo Simunovic will be a summer priority.

While the former Midtjylland man may not be the quickest, he has good positional sense and did the basics well.

Rangers defence coped well with Leigh Griffiths  
One of the pre-match worries for Rangers would have been how their centre backs would deal with Scotland's top striker. Griffiths went into this match with 37 goals in 48 appearances but he was largely subdued thanks to a solid display from Rob Kiernan and partner Danny Wilson.

Wilson had already been troubled by Jason Cummings and Michael O'Halloran earlier this season and so there were few guarantees that they would handle Griffiths' pace and clever movement.

The Scotland forward was unlucky to see a late free-kick strike the bar and bounce off Foderingham and out for a corner.

Do you mean eventually after the game or just in general? Because this was posted on their site on Sunday?

Only reason I ask is I've always thought STV wasn't that bad - compared with the mhob at BBC Scotland they're practically bluenoses. (aye too far maybe but you get my point!)

3 hours ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Do you mean eventually after the game or just in general? Because this was posted on their site on Sunday?

Only reason I ask is I've always thought STV wasn't that bad - compared with the mhob at BBC Scotland they're practically bluenoses. (aye too far maybe but you get my point!)

I did mean after the game, didn't realise it was from Sunday

4 hours ago, GlasgowsBlue said:

A bit off topic but Was the topic on scotlandtonight last night not along the lines of 'will we benefit or suffer from Rangers return to the premiership?' 

How the fuck could could they possibly suffer

I've not watched it yet, but my neighbour said that the other teams don't think Rangers should be allowed to come up. I told him I hadn't heard anything like that but then again, I think he may be getting a touch senile. At least easily confused anyway.:pipe:

10 minutes ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Compare it to the daily mail who have written 3 or 4 decent positive articles about us.

That's because it's the English press. They're nothing but positive (as far as I'm aware) of us. Unlike the rhabid cockroaches up here. 

4 hours ago, GlasgowsBlue said:

A bit off topic but Was the topic on scotlandtonight last night not along the lines of 'will we benefit or suffer from Rangers return to the premiership?' 

How the fuck could could they possibly suffer

Because we'll be beating them every game.

1 hour ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

The Daily Courageous is still the worst of the lot, closely followed by the beeb.

Agreed. Which fucks me off no end when our club gives any interviews or press releases to the Daily Retard mini murrays pals.

1 hour ago, SuperPapac05 said:

That's because it's the English press. They're nothing but positive (as far as I'm aware) of us. Unlike the rhabid cockroaches up here. 

It's what the English do well. They are positive about football whilst up there all they do is slag the game off or stick the boot into us. Same with all the making out Glasgow is some kind of sectarian shite hole when its a much greater city than any of the others I've lived in or visited, which is nearly all outside London. It disgusts me that they get away with it. It's about time a politician or councillor put an end to all this nonsense by calling all the naysayers out. The English are guilty of going too far in blowing their own trumpet at times and thinking the rest of us are daft wee nations, which I think happens because it is the larger nation in a successful small group of islands but we seem to be the exact opposite in many ways. Does my tits in at times.

No doubt they'll constantly ask our manager and players if they want to go to England sending out the message that we're shite. Already seen them do it this season. What hope do we have when that's our own doing it.