Our next generation of fans diluting?

Dlydon81

I'm back home for the weekend to see family and I got a shock to find that my 3 nephews (ages 11(Twins)and 14) have more or less turned away from rangers and even like celtic.

Harry the eldest says he supports celtic like his friends at school which broke my heart (I've got him the new rangers kit every year since he was born).

The twins say they don't like football but if they did Celtic are who their friends support.

My brother-in-law says he's more or less given  up on trying to influence them for the time being as he even struggles to watch rangers.

The religion aspect of it is not on their radar which is great but to be honest without it their parents don't havemuch carrot to attract them to support rangers.

If we don't sort things out quickly we will lose an entire generation of supporters.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely at the age they are your brother in law could be doing more to make sure they are Rangers supporters, if they have no interest in football that's one thing but the fact they are leaning towards supporting the beasts is horrific. 

I get that the football on display is horrendous at present but it was the same when I was their age as for me that was the early 80s but it certainly wouldn't have stopped me supporting the club. 

2 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

How anyone can move from supporting us to them beats me. 

Disown the fuckers. 

I think it's a case of kids 'support' in the early years follows parents as main influence but in their teens they start to firm their own views influenced by their school mates which parents don't have much control over.

Shite football in miserable weather. Expensive too. Stadium, papers, social media and club in general are filled with negativity. Can't even buy a strip anymore. 

EPL and champions league football is freely available. 

The West of Scotland is associating religion and football together  less and less. 

If parents aren't bringing up their kids as fans, then there's little to attract them to us at the moment sadly. 

Just now, MacBoyd said:

Not sure if the op is serious or not but the young support is weakening. The inability to buy strips and how awful we have been since 2011 is taking its toll.

What inability?

It's quite easy to walk into a shop and buy a strip unless you're a complete mongo sheep.

2 minutes ago, 1690tamRFC said:

Surely at the age they are your brother in law could be doing more to make sure they are Rangers supporters, if they have no interest in football that's one thing but the fact they are leaning towards supporting the beasts is horrific. 

I get that the football on display is horrendous at present but it was the same when I was their age as for me that was the early 80s but it certainly wouldn't have stopped me supporting the club. 

This

my earliest memories off being a bear, back in the early eighties, we were finishing mid table when the sheep had there brief spell at the top, i had family members, especially my grandad telling me what it meant to be a Rangers fan, my own son is the same.

Get the wee fannies told!

Just now, Billythebear77 said:

This

my earliest memories off being a bear, back in the early eighties, we were finishing mid table when the sheep had there brief spell at the top, i had family members, especially my grandad telling me what it meant to be a Rangers fan, my own son is the same.

100% mate. 

2 minutes ago, 1690tamRFC said:

My BIL says that the vast majority of their class support celtic even although the parents are about 50/50 divided.

Thats a bit like comparing apples with orages for me.  I think there is so much TV on football and press coverage today that it is easier for kids these days to know that what they're watching is terrible.  The branding of football is completely different as well today around merchandise etc 

1 minute ago, Billythebear77 said:

This

Yeah I mean this is true but the religious side was stronger back then.

1 minute ago, SteppsGer84 said:

Get them along to Ibrox asap I started taking my wee girl last season when she was 6 even she knows we're pish right now but she'll never turn to the dark side it's in her blood now, walk into her room on occasion & she goes Gers songs playing on the IPad ??

That was the same for my nephews at 6.  School peer pressure is a big thing though that is more dangerous for us when they are a bit older.