BT extend CL deal

Online streaming websites secure CL games for another 4 years...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39177581

BT Sport has extended its TV rights for the Champions League and Europa League until 2021 in a deal worth £1.2bn.

The company has been broadcasting Europe's elite club competitions since 2015 under the terms of an £897m deal agreed in 2013.

BT Sport, owned by Britain's biggest broadband and mobile operator BT, is a paid subscription service.

But it said it would make clips, weekly highlights, and both finals available to watch for free on social media.

The new deal gives BT Sport exclusivity across all live games and highlights for the first time - meaning there will be no weekly highlights shown on free-to-air broadcaster ITV.

Europe's top four domestic leagues are to be guaranteed four places each in the group stages of the Champions League from the 2018-19 season.

Other changes to the competition will see 'double-header' nights in the group stage, with matches kicking off at both 18:00 and 20:00 UK time.

The current top four leagues according to European governing body Uefa's rankings are Spain, Germany, England and Italy.

Under the present system, England, Germany and Spain have three places each while their fourth-placed teams must win a play-off to qualify.

Don't understand BT with this deal, surely they haven't got that many subscribers to account for this? I don't know anyone who's still got it after they done away with the broadband deal. Shoyld go halfers wi ITV or start showing a uk teams game a week free.

How the fuck can BT and Sky still spunk up this type of money?

I cancelled a BT a cpl of months ago.

Told the guy on the phone it was because Chris Sutton is a wank. He just laughed.

I said, "sounds like you've heard that before"?  He didn't say yes but didn't deny it either. Probably because the calls are recorded.

1 hour ago, BloodRunsBlue said:

How the fuck can BT and Sky still spunk up this type of money?

I cancelled a BT a cpl of months ago.

Told the guy on the phone it was because Chris Sutton is a wank. He just laughed.

I said, "sounds like you've heard that before"?  He didn't say yes but didn't deny it either. Probably because the calls are recorded.

Yeah he heard it when Samantha Sutton cancelled her subscription. 

1 hour ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

BT sports coverage is pretty good actually.

The goals show on the Champions League group games night with James Richardson is brilliant.

Yes I agree, during the group stages, I watch that, it's better then watching a game that could be white. If a game is decent it's usually the game they show the most from, plus you see every goal. 

I actually agree BT sport coverage is good.

I just don't want to pay for a sports package that sees little money go to my team, and simply makes footballs rich, richer.

The champions league has became a boring tournament, same faces every year, few shocks.... a cartel for 7-8 clubs.

CL has been like this for an age. 

If it was just the champions from leagues over Europe there would be a huge drop in popularity and viewers which is what football is all about now.

Shite for clubs in leagues like ours but £ is king now and diddy leagues like what we play in no cunt is interested in seeing us play bar our own support. 

Been fucked for ages and will get worse. 

On 06/03/2017 at 7:49 PM, esquire8 said:

Don't understand BT with this deal, surely they haven't got that many subscribers to account for this? I don't know anyone who's still got it after they done away with the broadband deal. Shoyld go halfers wi ITV or start showing a uk teams game a week free.

I might be imagining this, but I am pretty sure there was a thing an interview a few years back when they launched their CEO said that they were using BT Sport as a funnel to increase their fibre broadband sales or something along those lines. Anyways, they are much better than SKY, who these days are a shadow of their former selves, with the same faces and same shite jokes every week.

23 hours ago, The Godfather said:

CL has been like this for an age. 

If it was just the champions from leagues over Europe there would be a huge drop in popularity and viewers which is what football is all about now.

Shite for clubs in leagues like ours but £ is king now and diddy leagues like what we play in no cunt is interested in seeing us play bar our own support. 

Been fucked for ages and will get worse. 

Even countries with strongish leagues are starting to feel the pinch now. Holland, France, Portugal.

It is impossible for clubs from smaller countries to compete. It doesnt matter how well run that countries FA are run, or even how well the clubs themselves are run - its just near impossible to become competitive, and completely impossible to sustain it.

Some of the most famous clubs in European football are blocked out from being able to compete through geography.

Just now, Badger said:

Even countries with strongish leagues are starting to feel the pinch now. Holland, France, Portugal.

It is impossible for clubs from smaller countries to compete. It doesnt matter how well run that countries FA are run, or even how well the clubs themselves are run - its just near impossible to become competitive, and completely impossible to sustain it.

Some of the most famous clubs in European football are blocked out from being able to compete through geography.

It's just a competition for the rich famous clubs and the TV money and popularity will mean it remains as such and will probably block out more and more of the small number of European 'smaller' clubs in years to come. 

The fact it would take a winner from Scotland or say Sweden 3 or 4 rounds to even get into the groups is horrendous. Soon enough as the money grows and we suffer leagues like ours will be on a par with the Irish leagues. 

10 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

It's just a competition for the rich famous clubs and the TV money and popularity will mean it remains as such and will probably block out more and more of the small number of European 'smaller' clubs in years to come. 

The fact it would take a winner from Scotland or say Sweden 3 or 4 rounds to even get into the groups is horrendous. Soon enough as the money grows and we suffer leagues like ours will be on a par with the Irish leagues. 

Dangerous game it risks isolating 90% of all football fans.

The biggest clubs will always be the biggest clubs. 30yrs ago, when it was a relatively level field, Juve, Barca, Real, Bayern, etc....... were still massive clubs, just..... everyone had a chance of competing.

The likes of Rangers - we are a big club, big support that rivals the most passionate, loads of history, etc, etc. Because of geography, no matter what we do as a club, we can't compete - where Celtic are just now is probably about as good as it will get in future - thats depressing.