Is Auchenhowie really producing no talent? Well, no but it makes for an easy story

The Dude

Ever since it was opened in 2001, Auchenhowie (or Murray Park) has been viewed as Rangers’ own production line of young Scottish talent. With a handful of exceptions there haven’t been too many unqualified success stories, although there are plenty of ex-Auchenhowie hopefuls around the leagues in both Scotland & England, but recent suggestions that there is no talent coming through at the £14million facility are well wide of the mark.

Read more:  http://www.gotthebattlefeveron.com/2017/4/16/15315662/is-auchenhowie-really-not-producing-any-talent-well-no-but-it-makes-for-an-easy-story

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good article , I enjoyed reading that and also the reports that are posted on the site on the younger squads seem to offer up some hope for the future .

I think a lot of people expect to see something like Man Utd's class of 92 coming through regularly whereas they were very much an exception . Hopefully some of the boys at auchenhowie can get the opportunity to show their worth in the top team and then it's up to them to seize the day so to speak . Looking back at old team photos and line ups show that the occurrences of players going from youths to reserves then first team regular has never been easy or a regular thing . If we can get 1 or 2 per season to become a regular part of the matchday squad we will be doing well .

Nice sound bytes but it's border line birthday card material mate - no offence - what good is pointing to success stories after they've left us and developed elsewhere? 

The last person we brought into the first team from Auchenhowie that did a job was Adam which you acknowledge with the narrative at the start 

i don't expect to see a Man United class of 94 but I expect more than Robbie Crawfords, Kal Naismiths and more recently Andy Murdoch's and Tom Walsh's ... 

Next year is a big year for our set up and the likes of Mulholland as that's 3 years into his project - we need to start seeing a result or two and by that a first team ready player or two 

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Nice sound bytes but it's border line birthday card material mate - no offence - what good is pointing to success stories after they've left us and developed elsewhere? 

The last person we brought into the first team from Auchenhowie that did a job was Adam which you acknowledge with the narrative at the start 

i don't expect to see a Man United class of 94 but I expect more than Robbie Crawfords, Kal Naismiths and more recently Andy Murdoch's and Tom Walsh's ... 

Next year is a big year for our set up and the likes of Mulholland as that's 3 years into his project - we need to start seeing a result or two and by that a first team ready player or two 

There's no pointing to success stories after they have left. I've looked at the players who are there now and, for the first time in years, are regularly getting international recognition. Yesterday we had 4 or 5 players in the matchday squad who could be considered to have been developed (at least in part) here (Both Wilsons, Bates, Beerman & McKay) and have another few like Houston, Thomson and Burt who have been involved previously with the matchday squad.

The likes of Walsh, Crawford etc were pushed ahead when they weren't ready for it. Between 2012-2015 we promoted something 20 players and gave them debuts and in some cases regular game time which in many cases was well before the players were anywhere near good enough to come in and have any kind of impact.

Good article . I guess the proof is not so much how the U20's do , but how the players handle the step up to the first team , something  Myles Beerman is handling admirably . 

Im not one of Auchenhowie's biggest critics , when you look at some of the players like Hutton , Adam , McGregor , Burke , McCormack , to name a few , players that have gone on to do well in England and even represent Scotland , I wonder if the problem is not seeing their real value and selling them too cheaply ( other than Hutton , of course ) 

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

There's no pointing to success stories after they have left. I've looked at the players who are there now and, for the first time in years, are regularly getting international recognition. Yesterday we had 4 or 5 players in the matchday squad who could be considered to have been developed (at least in part) here (Both Wilsons, Bates, Beerman & McKay) and have another few like Houston, Thomson and Burt who have been involved previously with the matchday squad.

The likes of Walsh, Crawford etc were pushed ahead when they weren't ready for it. Between 2012-2015 we promoted something 20 players and gave them debuts and in some cases regular game time which in many cases was well before the players were anywhere near good enough to come in and have any kind of impact.

Those players you mention haven't done anything yet tho with respect if they turn into regular talented first team players then fair enough but that will be a debate for then not now 

Just now, K.A.I said:

Those players you mention haven't done anything yet tho with respect if they turn into regular talented first team players then fair enough but that will be a debate for then not now 

The original column in the ET claimed there were no kids ready to step up and no sign of that changing any time soon. Having seen first hand the changes that the academy has undergone since I started covering them in 2014 to now and the massive improvement in all round standard of player, it's nonsense.

Probably produced more full internationals than any other Academy in the UK, certainly Scotland. Although there is some grey area of whether it is an Academy in any case or simply a training ground. My understanding is it, when it's perceived to be not working, it's a training ground and when it is being praised it's called an Academy. As ever, the ingredients that make it work or not are the individuals placed within it to operate it. Dick, Eck, Walter, Ally nor Warburton were pro youth, they preferred quality and/or experience which makes it all the more impressive with the number of internationals that has came out of there. Some very very good players. May not have made it here but have elsewhere. 

Bottom line is, the facility itself isn't the problem, more the staff employed within. If you think there is a problem there. We are a unique club whereby winning is more important than anything. The way it should be. If we produce a couple of players to play a part in that success then great.

3 hours ago, K.A.I said:

What about McKay and McLeod 

The Billy Gilmour saga indicates how difficult this is going to be. The first diamond that pops up and hes off before hes even made the first team  

Its not just us, Dutch football have cited this as among the main reasons for the national sides demise. English clubs are snapping up their 'diamonds' and they dont develop like they coukd and should at clubs like Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord. Ie play from 18-22, develop, mature in your homeland around your family and friends and then go - like they used too. 

58 minutes ago, GeeSS said:

What about McKay and McLeod 

McKay a product of the Kilmarnock youth system who released him go due to hip problems. Beerman also mentioned was released last year by Man City was he not in 2016.:huh:

I think it could be described as "underwhelming" it hasn't been a failure in any sense but it's certainly not gave us much to be excited about.

Seems like we've been trying to do a dozen things at once as a club instead of appointing the right people for the right jobs and giving them time

5 minutes ago, denya said:

Very good article. One thing I am unsure of is from reading that article it sounds like we have U15 and U17 players playing in the U20 side sometimes? Do we constantly change these players between teams? 

Aye the best of each group tend to be involved at the level above. Gilmour, Houston, Rudden, Thomson, Atakayi and a few others have all played U20s and U17s this season 

Just now, The Dude said:

Aye the best of each group tend to be involved at the level above. Gilmour, Houston, Rudden, Thomson, Atakayi and a few others have all played U20s and U17s this season 

Ok thanks I did not know this. It is a good idea to do this I think. 

10 minutes ago, denya said:

Very good article. One thing I am unsure of is from reading that article it sounds like we have U15 and U17 players playing in the U20 side sometimes? Do we constantly change these players between teams? 

No U15 player has played for the U20 side. 

U16 Billy Gilmour has played quite a few times and Dapo Mebude another U16 has played about 10 minutes, Goalkeeper Brian Kinnear may have also played not quite sure.

It is only in the last couple of weeks that any U15's have featured at U17, with a couple making substitute appearances.

Houston, Rudden and Thomson are all 2000's (U17), Atakayi is a 1999 (U18)

4 minutes ago, Elfideldo said:

No U15 player has played for the U20 side. 

U16 Billy Gilmour has played quite a few times and Dapo Mebude another U16 has played about 10 minutes, Goalkeeper Brian Kinnear may have also played not quite sure.

It is only in the last couple of weeks that any U15's have featured at U17, with a couple making substitute appearances.

Houston, Rudden and Thomson are all 2000's (U17), Atakayi is a 1999 (U18)

Kinnear was involved against Dundee Utd at Tannadice but cant for the life of me remember if he started or was on the bench. 

12 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

How the fuck can we count beerman as a product of our youth system when we got him as a 17yo :lol: 

Its a training base for all ages Beerman has been promoted to train and then play with the first team, nobody labelled him a product of the youth system.

1 hour ago, pcbear said:

Its a training base for all ages Beerman has been promoted to train and then play with the first team, nobody labelled him a product of the youth system.

The dude uses bates and beerman when describing players who have in part developed here, i wouldnt call a 17yo and 20yo coming here as any sort of youth development tbh

Adam, Hutton, McCormack and mcgregor must've cost at least £30 million in total transfers? Certainly no other Scottish team can match that. 

Burke and Dobbie pretty successful at championship level along with a couple of others. 

Plenty of guys who've had a career in football came through at Rangers. Just not that many who have careers with us. 

4 minutes ago, gsa said:

Adam, Hutton, McCormack and mcgregor must've cost at least £30 million in total transfers? Certainly no other Scottish team can match that. 

Burke and Dobbie pretty successful at championship level along with a couple of others. 

Plenty of guys who've had a career in football came through at Rangers. Just not that many who have careers with us. 

All were signed from other youth teams.

5 minutes ago, Junior Soprano said:

All were signed from other youth teams.

All 6 of them?

They all played youth football with Rangers though? As far as I'm aware none were over 16 when they signed with us?