Youngsters.

graeme_4

Well done to them last night, and to Pedro for throwing them in. 

If there's one positive we can take from this season it's that we've got younger players who can step up and don't look out of place at this level. A bit more experience and physicality and all 4 of them could potentially challenge for starting slots. 

Bates in particular has really grown into a defender, and Wilson didn't look far behind him. Baronjas showed some great touches, and Beerman looks great going forward (although could work on his defensive positioning). 

Would have much rather have had them start the majority of games, than wasters like Kiernan, Wallace and Halliday. 

Just need a home grown striker to step up now. 

2 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Bates is a gangly Kiernan with a calamity waiting to happen.

Sorry.

As a defender myself, he can read a game really well IMO, and for an 20 year old won the majority in the air against Rooney who is a big unit to play against. 

His distribution is pretty poor, but he's not helped by having an AWOL midfield and zero options to pass to. A proper DM makes himself available to take a 5 yard ball from the CBs and then builds play. 

He's better when he's doing the simple thing. 

Beerman looks a player, Bates looks a tad  slow when making decisions and got caught a couple of times. He also got caught under the ball too many times and needs to step back to attack it with his head  

But these are lads that have come from a team that finished sixth in the league. I hope they benefit from the changes to our  league format next season 

but great to see them getting that experience 

5 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Bit shit to put Wallace in a category wae Kiernan and Halliday.

Also, there is fuck all else he could do.

Wallace is as bad as the rest IMO, and an awful defender. Coasted on his 'stayed for the fight' rep and a few good games pre-admin and under MW in the Championship. 

Never a Rangers captain. 

Bates does a basic job. He looks like he will make a mistake at any moment but he always tries to win the ball fair play.

I just hope he works on his passing because every game he launches it miles up the park and it is never accurate.

Would have him over Kiernan and Sendoros any day.

6 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Wallace is as bad as the rest IMO, and an awful defender. Coasted on his 'stayed for the fight' rep and a few good games pre-admin and under MW in the Championship. 

Never a Rangers captain. 

Wouldn't go that fat, not great though.

Nobody in the squad is tbf, maybe Hill.

9 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Never a Rangers captain. 

You've had two likes off me now. You're no getting anymore right

14 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

As a defender myself, he can read a game really well IMO, and for an 20 year old won the majority in the air against Rooney who is a big unit to play against. 

His distribution is pretty poor, but he's not helped by having an AWOL midfield and zero options to pass to. A proper DM makes himself available to take a 5 yard ball from the CBs and then builds play. 

I think that's a very accurate summation of the situation. Bates did hit a lot of long balls but who from midfield was looking to take the ball, nobody. I have to say a lot of the fans gave the youngsters support which was good to see. I have been impressed with those who have come through. It bodes well for the future 

I think Beerman has shown enough to keep his place,yes he's had a couple of mistakes but he's still raw yet,what i like is if he makes a clanger he doesn't shrink away,our older players could do worse than to learn that from him.

Wilson,had decent shift,thrown into a makeshift defence without an experienced head to reassure him,read game well for a young defender 

Barjones,seen him play for youths few times,good vision and passing,got a sweet strike on him too,these three bode well for us as long as their hearts in it

27 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

the lad needs a midfielder in front of him who will take the ball off him as soon as he wins it and stop him going long. He wont be the first CB who was to keep it simple.

Not convinced by Bates, think Wilson is a better centre half (albeit one game). All the youngsters did well last night, I think Barjonas could go on to be a decent player for us. For him to come on in that environment with basically no one else in midfield alongside him and look so comfortable on the ball was pretty impressive.

32 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

As a defender myself I'm just not impressed.

He takes up decent starting positions but gets dragged out easily. 

His heading is weakness. He appears to jump lower than his standing height. There's often no direction in easy headers, plenty went astray last night, a bit like his long ball passing.

I agree last night there was no midfield cover, but Wilson looked composed and dealt with it better.

He was so nearly punished for being caught dangerously in possession.

His two tackles in front of me at West enclosure were badly times. He had the chance to take the ball AND wipe out McGuinn at one point and fucked it.

I'm just not sure what he offers. He's not a great all rounder, but given his heading passing and tackling don't offer much I'm just not seeing it.

And it's not about age, as I've praised Wilson highly in my other thread.

Nope, for me I don't think he'd stand out in tbe Raith Rovers jersey we randomly plucked him from.

Just now, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

As a defender myself I'm just not impressed.

He takes up decent starting positions but gets dragged out easily. 

His heading is weakness. He appears to jump lower than his standing height. There's often no direction in easy headers, plenty went astray last night, a bit like his long ball passing.

I agree last night there was no midfield cover, but Wilson looked composed and dealt with it better.

He was so nearly punished for being caught dangerously in possession.

His two tackles in front of me at West enclosure were badly times. He had the chance to take the ball AND wipe out McGuinn at one point and fucked it.

I'm just not sure what he offers. He's not a great all rounder, but given his heading passing and tackling don't offer much I'm just not seeing it.

And it's not about age, as I've praised Wilson highly in my other thread.

Nope, for me I don't think he'd stand out in tbe Raith Rovers jersey we randomly plucked him from.

:lol:

Compare Wilson's first game last night with Bates first game, to me its night and day. Wilson didn't look uncomfortable and was regularly shouting at others and pulling them into position. Bates also had the advantage of an experienced centre half next to him in his first game.

When Beerman first came in i thought there was a player there but the more i watch him the less I see what he brings. For a defender his decision making is awful. Cost a penalty against them when the player was running away from goal and then last night headers it back to the aberdeen player to score. He just had to either leave it or put it out for a corner. He does not impress me going forward and he is he so one footed its bad. I am not Wallace's biggest fan but my god we have missed him massively.

I also dont see Bates being a long term solution, I think he can defend but his distribution was stinking but he was not helped by the midfield not making any space to receive the ball.

Wilson looked ok started slow but grew into the game, would like to see more before passing judgement

Barjonas does look a talent, happy with the ball at his feet, would come short for it and was always looking to play forward. Always played with his head up looking for runs. Did more then Toral for the short period he was on.

The manager is dammed is he does or dammed if he doesnt when it comes to youngsters. Playing against Aberdeen is properly not the best game to throw them in and if they took a few of the sitters they missed at the end of the first half is could have been a really confidence blow for them. I dont know if it is a statement by the manger saying that you are going to give me more funds and the players that I have are duds.