The Rugby thread

MisterC

I think Townsend will be gone after the 6 Nations.

I just can’t see who will replace him. I think he should have been tapped after the WC as that was the prime time to get someone of quality in. All the good coaches are now snapped up for a couple of years.

Maybe Scott Robertson is the only top top level coach around who will have itchy feat after missing out on the All Blacks job.

17 hours ago, KingKirk said:

Israel Folau clearly is never allowed to work again. The reaction is a bloody disgrace.

Its horrendous. Every club in super league should be whoring themselves out to get him but wokeness has to take over. I hope Catalan win Super League to get it up everyone. 

6 hours ago, SuperPapac05 said:

Its horrendous. Every club in super league should be whoring themselves out to get him but wokeness has to take over. I hope Catalan win Super League to get it up everyone. 

They know he’s not worth it.

Dragons have a clause in his contract about vilification. He will breach that too as he can’t help himself. I mean not more than a couple of months back he was blaming God’s judgement for the Australian bushfires in his Dad’s church. He’s gone full on mental. Even AOG people think he’s nuts.

The one thing I will say for Folau is that because the Australian Rugby League Commission will bar him from playing for Australia, he will be called up by Tonga.

Him playing for Tonga, who are already really strong, will attract others to defect from Australia and NZ. They will be genuine contenders to win the Rugby League World Cup next year.

34 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

The one thing I will say for Folau is that because the Australian Rugby League Commission will bar him from playing for Australia, he will be called up by Tonga.

Him playing for Tonga, who are already really strong, will attract others to defect from Australia and NZ. They will be genuine contenders to win the Rugby League World Cup next year.

Players worth defecting to Tonga have already done it.

Rugby League needs a strong Tonga to add another layer to the badly run international game. That win over the Kangaroos was massive even though Australia are in a massive transitional period. 

But when push comes to shove Australia will find their rhythm and comfortably win the world cup next year.

5 hours ago, SuperPapac05 said:

Players worth defecting to Tonga have already done it.

Rugby League needs a strong Tonga to add another layer to the badly run international game. That win over the Kangaroos was massive even though Australia are in a massive transitional period. 

But when push comes to shove Australia will find their rhythm and comfortably win the world cup next year.

There’s a few still that are better than what they have, Kaufusi, Fifita, Frizell off the top of my head. Add Folau in, that team is blazing. I’m 99% sure Folau will be playing for them.

Nikorima could switch too - although he was poor last year and he could be frozen out again this year. On his day though he’s a cracking halfback and needs to get back to 2017 form.

The unrealistic one is Fifita Jr, but if his cousins can convince him to have one spell for Tonga as he has his whole career to play Origin and Australia then you never know.

Agree on Australia’s rebuild. Need France and Samoa to become competitive again too. Jamaica will be an interesting addition to the WC, if only they are an English version of Lebanon/Italy/Greece etc.

The NRL in general has lost some massive players to retirement in the past year. Looking forward to it starting though again in the next few weeks.

Off topic, I got an email during the week that Scotland are resurrecting their A team this year, which is interesting.

Well I'm going to stick my neck out and predict a Scotland win. Its times when our backs are against the wall and expectations are low that results come. Indeed it is very often when Scotland are expected to play well and get a result that things go awry.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Scotland getting a rare win in Dublin tomorrow. We have a useful pack and a team selected on form instead being Townsends favourites like wilson and Pete Horne for example. Russell is a big loss but Scotland have won big games without him, Australia away 2017 springs to mind. 

I could well be wrong but a surprise could well be on the cards. ..

2 hours ago, pcbear said:

What a fuck up by Hogg dropping the ball at an easy touch down for a try, the man has Velcro hands wtf happened there, convert that and we are level with our tails up.

Ireland there for the taking this afternoon from what I saw. Poor from Hogg, really really slack. Ref wasn’t great either. 

3 hours ago, pcbear said:

What a fuck up by Hogg dropping the ball at an easy touch down for a try, the man has Velcro hands wtf happened there, convert that and we are level with our tails up.

He will be haunted by that-cost us a draw.

Calcutta cup tomorrow then and once again there is the hope that Scotland can pull off a result. For once we have a heavier pack and heavier backs as well. But, of course no Finn Russell who has bossed the last 2 games of this fixture. The omens are looking good for Scotland in a few ways given the missing back row personnel, their performance last week, the whole Saracens thing....But again it's that word hope and the false dawns seen before when its looking possible that we might claim a big scalp, makes me fear the worst! Always hopeful but I won't be surprised if it goes tits up.

On a sidenote, Saracens in bother for playing an ineligible player in EC v Racing 92, so hopefully will mean Glasgow get in at Saracens expense. Should have confirmation on this tonight

3 hours ago, MisterC said:

Calcutta cup tomorrow then and once again there is the hope that Scotland can pull off a result. For once we have a heavier pack and heavier backs as well. But, of course no Finn Russell who has bossed the last 2 games of this fixture. The omens are looking good for Scotland in a few ways given the missing back row personnel, their performance last week, the whole Saracens thing....But again it's that word hope and the false dawns seen before when its looking possible that we might claim a big scalp, makes me fear the worst! Always hopeful but I won't be surprised if it goes tits up.

On a sidenote, Saracens in bother for playing an ineligible player in EC v Racing 92, so hopefully will mean Glasgow get in at Saracens expense. Should have confirmation on this tonight

According to Sky, they’ve been fined £42k plus, but allowed to remain in...  

Just now, HG5 said:

According to Sky, they’ve been fined £42k plus, but allowed to remain in...  

Yeah I saw that. Oh well, to be fair Saracens flagged this up so that probably counted in their favour but in the past clubs have been docked points for this. However, did Glasgow deserve to go through? No, and even if they had been reinstated the opposition would be Leinster in Dublin and that only means one thing -  a pumping.

1 minute ago, MisterC said:

Yeah I saw that. Oh well, to be fair Saracens flagged this up so that probably counted in their favour but in the past clubs have been docked points for this. However, did Glasgow deserve to go through? No, and even if they had been reinstated the opposition would be Leinster in Dublin and that only means one thing -  a pumping.

More than likely.

Maybe a bit of sympathy for Sarries, after what they’ve already had imposed, but still another breach.

Imagine if we’d been treated like that....

Sounds like Racing aren’t happy, as it costs them a home tie.

5 minutes ago, HG5 said:

More than likely.

Maybe a bit of sympathy for Sarries, after what they’ve already had imposed, but still another breach.

Imagine if we’d been treated like that....

Sounds like Racing aren’t happy, as it costs them a home tie.

Thats the other thing, I would be unhappy too if I was a Racing fan. I watched that game and Saracens scrum was strong in the time that player was on at hooker, however Racing were also the architects of their own downfall in that period. Tough one either way but it is a breach and Saracens have got off lightly

1 minute ago, MisterC said:

Thats the other thing, I would be unhappy too if I was a Racing fan. I watched that game and Saracens scrum was strong in the time that player was on at hooker, however Racing were also the architects of their own downfall in that period. Tough one either way but it is a breach and Saracens have got off lightly

Didn’t see it myself, but it sounds like they have a point.

Seems as if they are covering it off as a ‘60th minute sub’, but if he was influential in holding the scrum together as you say, then maybe that isn’t the full story.

You’re right, seems they’ve got off lightly..

11 hours ago, HG5 said:

Didn’t see it myself, but it sounds like they have a point.

Seems as if they are covering it off as a ‘60th minute sub’, but if he was influential in holding the scrum together as you say, then maybe that isn’t the full story.

You’re right, seems they’ve got off lightly..

Rugby is very stringent on citings,  I am really surprised Sarries has gotten away with the ineligible player so lightly.

40 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Rugby is very stringent on citings,  I am really surprised Sarries has gotten away with the ineligible player so lightly.

Exactly.

I don’t pay quite as much attention as I used to, but quite a few things which happen in the game seem to be inconsistent & illogical.